Care vs. Concern

Ronoh

1 brick at a time
Silver Member
I was asked, at one time in my life, "What makes you think you're an 'A' player?"

My response was "Because it's what I strive to be."

Care vs. Concern, care vs. concern....

Hmmm...

How does this relate to billiards?

One word... Stroke.

If your think that SOME day you will miraculously "get it", by only being "concerned" about it, you WILL be disappointed.

If you care about your stoke, then you'll do something about it. Work on it, study it, improve upon it! Make it happen. Only you can fix your problems.

Billardsmen, THAT'S what you are, if you care.

Become one, and stay as one.

Else, get used to disapponting yourself.

I've read a lot of post the the past hours, and the same concept kept occuring. I hope I'm not too presumptious with the reply. I only felt it needed to be said.

All I ask is, be true to the sport of billiards, and yourself.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool post John, Hey, what part of Pa. are you from? I lived near Reading.

Anyway, I think of myself as an "A" player. Part of that is the years it took to learn all games enough to know how to compete at any of them at a high level(1-pocket/14.1/8-ball/9-ball/snooker/and a little 3-cushion), in that order for a reason!. Also the lack of fear to step up make a good game, and play confidently knowing I have the skills to get it done, or realize quickly I made a big error in judgement. I need weight, of course from the pros, but I hold my own with the shortstops I've bumped into, so if it goes:
Pro
A
B
C
yea, I'd say I'm an "A"

Another thought is, can you call yourself a top player, if you only play 1 game ,like 9-ball for instance, at top speed?.....Gerry

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Ronoh said:
I was asked, at one time in my life, "What makes you think you're an 'A' player?"

My response was "Because it's what I strive to be."

Care vs. Concern, care vs. concern....

Hmmm...

How does this relate to billiards?

One word... Stroke.

If your think that SOME day you will miraculously "get it", by only being "concerned" about it, you WILL be disappointed.

If you care about your stoke, then you'll do something about it. Work on it, study it, improve upon it! Make it happen. Only you can fix your problems.

Billardsmen, THAT'S what you are, if you care.

Become one, and stay as one.

Else, get used to disapponting yourself.

I've read a lot of post the the past hours, and the same concept kept occuring. I hope I'm not too presumptious with the reply. I only felt it needed to be said.

All I ask is, be true to the sport of billiards, and yourself.

John,Congratulations!You get it!

Ronoh

1 brick at a time
Silver Member
David,

Thank you. /salute /bow

Gerry, I'm just down the road from you. First beer is on me :) . (Hint: never take the offer, just play pool) We'll get along fine.

And, internet content will make you think...

Keep youself in check at all times.

Hope that makes sense.

Ronoh

1 brick at a time
Silver Member
Gerry said:
Another thought is, can you call yourself a top player, if you only play 1 game ,like 9-ball for instance, at top speed?.....Gerry

My apologies for not answering your question in my first post. I woke up from the dead of sleep because I heard you.

"Top Player" is subjective.

By playing different types of games and learning all the nuances for each, you've learned different stratagies. But, you brought up a very valid point, which is speed of game.

The only thing that will speed a game up, (of any type) is cue ball control.

Yes, shot making can make for a quick game, but it can also wear you out quicker. Focus is harder to maintain without cue ball control. Cue ball control will get you to the end, easier.

Learning the speed of the table is crucial! imho (in my humble opinion), it's the key to any game.

If you can't adjust your stroke to the speed of the table you're playing on, you'll be a pigeon.

heading back to bed, stay safe.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, Sorry John, what I meant when I used the term "speed" is how strong the player plays, not how fast you shoot. So, my question would be, Can you call yourself an "A" player if you only play 9-ball at a top flight level?.....Gerry