Carom butt with pool shaft

DrewRgnr

Registered
Can i use carom butt with pool shaft? For the specific type is i want to use mezz cr133 butt with expro shaft. Is the joint collar have the same diameter and will the shaft sit flush on it?
Sorry for the dumb question

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well most carom cues traditionally have the joint pin in the shaft and it is a large wooden pin .This Mezz cr133 may have a pocket billiard cue design with the joint pin located in the cue butt, so the only way to get your question properly answered is to have someone with a micrometer actually measure the Mezz cue butt joint collar and also have the measurements for the expo shaft that you desire to see if they are they same in diameter. Even being the same diameter is still not a true guarantee that the shaft would be centered properly on that cue butt.

I think this all depends on just how exact you desire everything to fit- if you are looking for a "perfect" match- then a trained eye needs to see both shaft and butt together.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can i use carom butt with pool shaft? For the specific type is i want to use mezz cr133 butt with expro shaft. Is the joint collar have the same diameter and will the shaft sit flush on it?
Sorry for the dumb question
All their joints interchange. If both cues have same pin you'll be good.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what a expro shaft is, but unless the shaft/ butt are from same maker, I think it unlikely there will be a perfectly flush fit at the joint area with an add-on shaft.

I have a few shafts that aren't flush and it isn't particularly an issue for me.

Also, carom cues are generally shorter than pool cues.

JT4Annapolis

JT in FL now
I had inquired with Mezz about this a while back since I like the Carom cues they carry. The length and balance point would change slightly if I remember correctly. I would give them a call to be sure and update on here

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had inquired with Mezz about this a while back since I like the Carom cues they carry. The length and balance point would change slightly if I remember correctly. I would give them a call to be sure and update on here
Just by looking at the tapers you can see that the 3c shafts are heavier. Putting on a pool taper shaft will give more of a butt-heavy feel.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't know what a expro shaft is, but unless the shaft/ butt are from same maker, I think it unlikely there will be a perfectly flush fit at the joint area with an add-on shaft.

I have a few shafts that aren't flush and it isn't particularly an issue for me.

Also, carom cues are generally shorter than pool cues.
Joss, Black, Falcon, and Schon usually intermix perfectly...although there are years of Schons were the thread isca different pitch...but the other brands will still fit perfect on the Schons.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joss, Black, Falcon, and Schon usually intermix perfectly...although there are years of Schons were the thread isca different pitch...but the other brands will still fit perfect on the Schons.
Other brand shafts usually fit Schons but Schon shafts usually wont fit other brands because of the large piloted joint on the shaft.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other brand shafts usually fit Schons but Schon shafts usually wont fit other brands because of the large piloted joint on the shaft.
Not just that. On some Schon's the pin is a little smaller. Joss shaft will go on one but not vice versa.