Case Review ~ Sterling 'Wave' Case

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I tried to post this yesterday, but got caught in the AZ crash, mid-post. :mad:

Anyways, here goes:

I received my 2x4/3x4 configured Sterling 'Wave' case shortly after the New Year...and when UPS decided to finally dig it out of one of their trailers after our PNW 'Arctic Blast'. I have had a little over a month or so to get acquainted with it...and gotta say, I am pretty pleased with this case.

34rjcjm.jpg
ng84td.jpg

As shown from the pics above, I requested the black/brown 'tooled' vinyl version of this case. The vinyl is different than the Skai vinyl that was used on John's Instroke Premier line....but still appears to be VERY durable. I have been just tossing this case into the back seat or trunk of my car, and no visible scuff marks and/or tears that I have noticed. It does look like a tooled leather case. Good stuff, and I have received many compliments on it.

The case also comes with padded, ergonomically-shaped dual backpack straps on the back, which are easily removable for when you just do not need them. I did notice that the placement of the bottom ring for the straps is such that it should not get accidently snapped off when the straps are not in place...good forethought here.

This case has what I would call a 'flatter' profile, and as a result, what the double pockets on front lack in depth, they make up for in width, and I have yet to fill either pocket all the way up with 'stuff'...LoL. The case features self-healing zippers, and I have experienced no problems with them whatsoever, and I am in and out of both the case itself and especially the pockets all the time.

Now as to the interior...this case looks inside very much like that of John's higher-end cases, and is quite 'cushy'. It also features the Organic Rebound system that John came up with. What this means is that when you open the case, the butts and shafts 'pop' up for easier access. No tipping the case upside down or digging in to retrieve either butts or shafts. I selected the 2x4/3x4 configured case. As the pic below shows, John has managed to figure out where the wasted space in the traditional 2x4 config was, and he utilized it to offer the option of carrying an additional butt. So, basically, you could carry one butt and two shafts, and then one butt, one shaft, one butt, one shaft....or two players and a J/B.

8wl3pg.jpg

The stitching on this case is terrific, as I would have expected from a case that John had a hand in...and the 'Wave' design is both interesting and unique. As I have previously stated....I get lot's of compliments on this case every time I take it out. The case is also relatively lightweight, which is why I have been using it exclusively since I got it. In the past I have not usually carried all of my cues with me because I just didn't care for carrying all that weight. The handle on the case is round and quite comfortable for carrying.

I would have to say that all in all...I am pretty happy with this case. I think it provides a great option for those who either cannot afford a higher-end case, or just do not wish to carry one on a daily basis. In other words, you are getting all the important benefits of John's higher-end cases, but without the cost of a custom case. A definite recommendation from me!!

Lisa

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Danktrees said:
what are self healing zippers?

Self-healing zippers are those that, if they separate in some place, can be zipped back over again to realign the teeth so that the separation is 'healed'.

Lisa

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice review. I've had my case about a month now, as well, and without a doubt it's the best all-around case I've ever owned (and I was a big whitten fan for a long time). The Wave case is a nearly perfect mix of utility, weight, looks, protection and price.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Thanks for the kind remarks. :blush:

I'd like to think that I have checked almost every viable pool-related product out there, and I'm really kinda picky...LoL...so I feel like it is important to tell others about when someone gets it right with a product.

I already know right away that this one is a keeper...just like my two old Instroke Premier cases have been keepers. I have always felt that the absolute best bang for the buck has been John Barton's cases in the vinyl design line. You get all the top notch innards, with a no muss, no fuss exterior, at an affordable price. They're great 'beat 'em up' cases, that continue to look good and do their job, year after year. Not really much more that you can ask from a case than that. :thumbup:

Lisa