Cell phone junkies

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Yea and shows how archaic the rules are when we don’t really need timeouts. We have communication devices.

Pool needs to probably change with tech. The game is much smoother without the timeouts.

The players will play faster too with coaching.

There are people that still use the phone to talk and I’ve seen people have their friends on the other line for hours on end just talking while doing errands or out and about.
Couldnt disagree more. Pool isnt a team sport. If a player needs that much help then he probably should take up a different hobby.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'm on my phone a lot, during idle times, anywhere. Even while scorekeeping other matches. But when I'm playing, my phone is in my pocket, and only comes out if I receive a text, which I check to see if it's from my wife, which I'd need to read. (Family stuff. She knows I'm at pool, and won't text unless necessary) When I used to be in management at work, I'd need to see if it was from work, as well, that's no longer an issue for me.

Otherwise, my phone is put away, while I'm playing. I get annoyed at others on their phones while I'm playing them, like most everyone else. Gotta shrug it off, and focus on what I can control.

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Yea and shows how archaic the rules are when we don’t really need timeouts. We have communication devices.

Pool needs to probably change with tech. The game is much smoother without the timeouts.

The players will play faster too with coaching.

There are people that still use the phone to talk and I’ve seen people have their friends on the other line for hours on end just talking while doing errands or out and about.
Ok Justdum

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Team work, camaraderie and competition is why we enjoy helping others to achieve our goal. The goal is to win.

The player gets the satisfaction of a win and we also get a satisfaction being apart of it.
Screenshot_20240301-121423.jpg

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
This really sounds like load of crap. I can't imagine someone being close enough to the table to have advice talking on their phone to the person playing. Think you're just trolling.
Ive seen it happen to me directly at the Expo Amateur Open. My opponent spoke another language and was being coached by a few friends of his. I had no idea what was being said. A ref that spoke the language happened to walk by (or suspected it as it probably happened with this group before) and told them to stop.

shooter_Hans

Be glad he has a phone and at least doing something like browsing the internet or receiving information from friends.

I like to actually bring a book with me and start reading while its my opponent's turn.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
This really sounds like load of crap. I can't imagine someone being close enough to the table to have advice talking on their phone to the person playing. Think you're just trolling.
Definitely trolling. When you have to tell your friends things like:
1-Follow thru
2-Draw
3-Right english
4-Left english
you know they are APA level 1 or 2 players. What kind of specific shot is a follow thru? Don't you just automatically follow thru on all shots? I think most of us who have played for more than a year or two use terms like outside or inside instead of left or right english.

tomatoshooter

I don't look at my phone because of the eye strain. I'm farsighted and if I focus on something close for to long, my eyes stiffen up and it's hard to focus on the balls at the fat end of the table. Sorry of like how it can be hard to stand up straight if you sit for a long time.

I don't try to not watch the other player but I saw CJ Wiley talking about how he didn't hope the other player would miss because he wanted to avoid negative thoughts.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just going to type that. If I do go on my phone between games, it takes about 5 min to be able to focus on the balls again.

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
To me the only exception is if my opponent is truly taking an unreasonably long time to shoot. Although I play at what I consider a reasonably fast pace, I am very patient and understanding of slower players. It's only happened to me on a few occasions, but if I'm playing someone who is glacially slow, I might scroll through the AZBilliards forums for awhile while they decide how to get from the 3 ball to the 4 ball.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
My phone goes in my pool case and comes back out when I'm done playing.

If there has been an accident, I'm not a paramedic or a surgeon.

If someone is dead, they will still be dead when I'm done.

If I have business to take care of I shouldn't be there.

No, it's just an obnoxious obsession that is a bane on humanity.