Central Indiana APA tables

Ih82luz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This weekend was the Indiana APA Invitaitional. The venue was great. The competition was great. Playing on Diamon tables was great.

As a Central APA player I believe we were at a disadvantage. We play on Valley tables, and a lot of the players at the event were from neighboring states, where they play on Diamond table. (BTW, I'm not happy with the LO "pimping" the local players with the change. BUT! I'm glad you used Diamond tables, but you F'ed your local members when your "upgraded" to Diamond tables)

My "*****" is with the places we play pool (Kip's, Eddy's, Yardline, Broadripple Tavern), they have Valley Tables. Not only are they easier table, but THEY ARE FILTHY! F'ing FILTHY!!!!!! And the owner/manager have no clue as to what brings in a lot of cash to their places, and they spend no money on improving their capital assets, the pool tables and APA LEAGUES!

The APA league HAS to keep Kip's in business. But every time I play on Mondays, the tables are covered in chalk, and look like they haven't been vacuumed in months, let alone brushed in weeks. When I asked the waitress/bartender for a table brush they gave me the "deer in the headlight" stare.

My belief is, the Central Indiana APA league operator should tell Kip's, Eddy's, Broad Ripple Tavern, Yardline; " Upgrade your tables, or clean them and put on new Simonis felt by "such and such" date, or the league will take a month off from playing.

If they don't make changes, then just hold great tournaments at hotels with Diamond tables. And do them bi-monthly.

It's time to take a stand and use your clout.

Enough is enough. Central Indiana APA pool tables suck!!!!

Kip's, Eddy's, Yardline, Broad Ripple Tavern, Southport Grill. You've been called out.

Ih82luz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh! I forgot to mention the 1/16" dirt on the pool balls. Boy, is that a great way to play pool.

I envy the crowd from Louisville that get to play on Diamond tables, and have clean pool balls.

I'd be surprised if a person from Indiana won the Indiana Invitational. The players from Kentucky (Reading, W(R)ighting, and Route 31 North to Indiana-the three "R's" of a Kentuckian) were good players, and very friendly people! I met a number of them and they were very friendly and kind.

You people are fortunate to have tournament tables. We here in Indiana get to play on Valley tables.....FILTHY VALLEY TABLES.......from Kip's Bar (Castleton), Eddy's (Fishers -136th & Hwy 37), Yardline (Castleton - by Hooter's), Broad Ripple Tavern (62nd Street).

I'm not too happy to see Indiana money go to neighboring state players, but you all earned it. Great pool by all that I played against.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Home team captain should take the initiative and get the owners to do it, or better yet, do it himself. Thats what we had to do.

millertime77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Wayne's has all Diemond table and there the only thing in the bar that takin care of bring your team there! But there's only 4 teams Wednesday and 4 or 5 teams Thursday
The APA will not till a bar what todo as long as teams play there and pay there money there good with it!
And you left out everyone's complaint "Louisville"

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve, it was indeed a pleasure to pay on nice equipment. I really liked the cyclops balls as well although I did get to see first hand what skids were.

I've said plenty to the manager at Kips. You think they're going to invest in 14 new tables when they won't even clean the ones they have? They pack that place 5 or 6 nights per week with apa league players and host the vast majority of the local tournaments yet they won't spend shit to protect their business investment. Hopefully, at some point, a third party will recognize the opportunity and open something similar in the area. Kips would be shut down inside of 6 months were that to happen.

John Waynes is almost an hour away or I would definitely play there. Brickyard has nice equipment but is 45 minutes plus.

ziggystardust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
new place

Mark, I have heard a couple of rumors about a new place
opening up in Indy, a little closer to us. Have you heard anything?
Last weekend I heard they were still looking for a suitable
building.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Take care,
Carl

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
My belief is, the Central Indiana APA league operator should tell Kip's, Eddy's, Broad Ripple Tavern, Yardline; " Upgrade your tables, or clean them and put on new Simonis felt by "such and such" date, or the league will take a month off from playing.

The league operator is supposed to say "if you don't clean your tables I'm going halt playing and take a cut in my income and possibly destroy a business I've taken years to build" ??? I don't think that's going to happen. It has to come from the players...and it sounds like 90% of the league players wouldn't know the difference.

Wileydog

Banned
This weekend was the Indiana APA Invitaitional. The venue was great. The competition was great. Playing on Diamon tables was great.

As a Central APA player I believe we were at a disadvantage. We play on Valley tables, and a lot of the players at the event were from neighboring states, where they play on Diamond table. (BTW, I'm not happy with the LO "pimping" the local players with the change. BUT! I'm glad you used Diamond tables, but you F'ed your local members when your "upgraded" to Diamond tables)

My "*****" is with the places we play pool (Kip's, Eddy's, Yardline, Broadripple Tavern), they have Valley Tables. Not only are they easier table, but THEY ARE FILTHY! F'ing FILTHY!!!!!! And the owner/manager have no clue as to what brings in a lot of cash to their places, and they spend no money on improving their capital assets, the pool tables and APA LEAGUES!

The APA league HAS to keep Kip's in business. But every time I play on Mondays, the tables are covered in chalk, and look like they haven't been vacuumed in months, let alone brushed in weeks. When I asked the waitress/bartender for a table brush they gave me the "deer in the headlight" stare.

If they don't make changes, then just hold great tournaments at hotels with Diamond tables. And do them bi-monthly.

It's time to take a stand and use your clout.

Enough is enough. Central Indiana APA pool tables suck!!!!

Kip's, Eddy's, Yardline, Broad Ripple Tavern, Southport Grill. You've been called out.

I haven't played in the APA State tournament for years, but, don't they always use diamonds in the tournament?

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark, I have heard a couple of rumors about a new place
opening up in Indy, a little closer to us. Have you heard anything?
Last weekend I heard they were still looking for a suitable
building.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Take care,
Carl

Carl, I've heard a couple of rumors but don't know if there is anything to it. That's expensive real estate on the north east side.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Steve, it was indeed a pleasure to pay on nice equipment. I really liked the cyclops balls as well although I did get to see first hand what skids were.

I've said plenty to the manager at Kips. You think they're going to invest in 14 new tables when they won't even clean the ones they have? They pack that place 5 or 6 nights per week with apa league players and host the vast majority of the local tournaments yet they won't spend shit to protect their business investment. Hopefully, at some point, a third party will recognize the opportunity and open something similar in the area. Kips would be shut down inside of 6 months were that to happen.

John Waynes is almost an hour away or I would definitely play there. Brickyard has nice equipment but is 45 minutes plus.

I've expressed those exact thoughts to my friends many times. While I understand why it might be an unreasonable expectation to ask that every place around here get rid of their Valley's and buy brand new Diamonds I think they could at least try to keep what they have in a decent state of repair. No one likes playing at Kip's really. It's just that there is no other choice of place with enough tables to accommodate leagues and tournaments on the North side of Indy. Like you said, Mark, if it wasn't for leagues Kip's would be empty and probably out of business. Personally I don't have the funds, but for those that do (and have the know how) I believe there is a pretty good market for a competitor to Kip's here in Indy. Until that happens they'll continue to have no incentive to really do anything in regards to their tables or absurd prices on some food/drink items.

Ih82luz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The league operator is supposed to say "if you don't clean your tables I'm going halt playing and take a cut in my income and possibly destroy a business I've taken years to build" ??? I don't think that's going to happen. It has to come from the players...and it sounds like 90% of the league players wouldn't know the difference.

I see your point. I believe the LO are hard working and want to be the best they can be as a business person.

The fact remains the same in the places we play. The tables are filthy. The quality of the tables erode faster when there is dirt and chalk all over the felt.

My point is to bring to the attention of the bar owners and the league as to the opinion of a player who keeps their own table clean, and what is does to the quality of play.

Playing on Valleys is OK, if the tables are clean. If they are filthy, then it's not too much to ask of the business to clean them. It shouldn't be something a person that is paying to play (and order food and drinks) to ask the owner to clean his table.

I don't expect anything to change. But when you ask a customer, How is your food? Or, How is your service? And the customer says, Fine. Then, you just lost a customer and a potential positive review.

Playing on tables that are fine, are just that..nothing really that good. And if there was an alternative, the customer will go to the place where they can have something better than Fine.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've spoken to a couple of people about this and here is what we're going to try. We're going to speak to other players and team captains and ask/suggest that each of them take the time to politely go to the Manager and share their thoughts. This may go something like "we really enjoyed playing on the Diamond Tables with quality balls at the recent state, we would ask that you consider at minimum, repairing the tables you have (new rails where necessary, new felt and definitely new balls) and cleaning the balls and tables on a regular basis.

Here's the other thing. Encourage people to vote with their wallets. No vote carries more weight. Assuming I can convince our team members to go along with it, I am going to suggest we move our Masters Team and Thursday Night APA Team to Claude & Annies. Those are Valley tables but at least the felt is like new, the balls are only a month or two old and the layout allows for comfortable play. If enough teams take their play elsewhere, perhaps the Management at Kips will take notice and make improvements.

If there were interested investors in the area, I for one would seriously consider joining them to invest in a competitor to Kips. I think it would take around $150,000 to make it happen, perhaps a bit more. I don't see that happening but one can always dream.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only way this will get solved is to move to another room to play.

Then I'm pretty sure you'll see the tables fixed up.

It's basically who will flinch first, will you move rooms? Since they are getting people without doing anything, why bother doing anything? If you go into the same barber shop and they cut you up and mess up your hair but then you go back there every month for more of the same, why would they bother changing?

In my area there is a Jillians that has totally messed up the tables, they had some hack come in and literally cut the old rails off with a saw when he changed them, so when the new ones were put on they are at wrong angles and you cant bank, or even hit a rail on some tables without the ball jumping around like a jumping bean. They had meetings, they had petitions they had more meetings and so far nothing was fixed.

Oh they did recloth a few tables, but that is messed up also, they stretched the table super tight so now those tables are just about impossible to play on, banks go long, and ball rolls an extra 4 feet on you.

Last edited: