CF shafts cold temperatures

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone try playing with a CF shaft that was left in cold temperature? I waited few minutes for cues to warm but found the shaft was deflecting. The front few inches was warm to touch but the middle stayed cool for a while. After an hour or so started hitting normal.

Curious if experience was normal or an oddity.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone try playing with a CF shaft that was left in cold temperature? I waited few minutes for cues to warm but found the shaft was deflecting. The front few inches was warm to touch but the middle stayed cool for a while. After an hour or so started hitting normal.

CF is generally un-affected by temp changes. Taking any psychotropic meds?? ;)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Front section might be hollow so the front/back may have warmed at different rates. Should not change how it deflects.

Slick53

Registered
I remember back when my daughter played softball, those high dollar composite bats had disclaimers about using them in cold weather. They actually “ broke “ one once. Coach not happy.

CanadianGuy

I leave mine in an unheated garage on a rack without case sometimes,
winters hit lows of -20 celsius

I turn on the garage heat when ready to play and couple hrs later good to go

same garage hits +30 celcius in the summer

never an issue going on two years

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any chance it was your arm and/or expectations? The tip even?

Zerksies

You can keep the shaft cold, But i wouldn't come straight from the cold freezing car to playing. Your probably going to damage the shaft in the long run. I'd give it the chance to let it warm up to room temperature. If your keeping it in the car put it on the front seat as you go to your destination and open the case to give it a chance to get warm.

SSP

Found this study on the internet....
I checked with Neal Haas, an engineer at True Temper’s research facility in San Diego. He used to work in the aerospace industry before working for True Temper and is an engineering genius. He said:

“CF (carbon fiber) components are used extensively in launch/reentry vehicles and satellites where the temperatures range from superheated to near absolute zero. The ultra low CTE (Coefficient of Thermal Expansion) of carbon fiber make it ideal for these temperature extremes. I find it very hard to believe that a bicycle sustained damage during winter storage in a cold garage – regardless of the earthly location. I have seen “green” (not fully cured) paints and top coats crack in extreme temperature conditions but never a CF composite structure.

The expert at Ball Aerospace is correct regarding micro-cracking but failed to mention that only micro changes in stiffness would result. The modulus of resin is significantly smaller than the modulus of CF. Therefore, slight degradation of the resin, while real, would be difficult to measure on a test fixture and would probably be imperceptible to the rider. Additionally, the resin comprises only 20-33 percent of the structure while 65–80 percent is CF. At this point you’re starting to multiply a lot of small decimals together ─ and the drop in stiffness is going to be very, very small.

As far as safe operating limits ─ I would worry more about high temperatures than low temperatures as the resin commonly used in sporting goods will slowly start to break down over a long period of time at temperatures above 220 F. I wouldn’t recommend riding in active volcanoes, reactor containment buildings or too close to the sun.” .... I have to think this would apply to pool cues/shafts as well, it really put things into perspective.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Anyone test how many holes need to be drilled in a CF shaft until a catastrophic fail in performance?

Its common the design specification is useful, the problems happen in the performance testing. Some tests have lower thresholds than others.

Nyquil

Shouldn't have any issue but wood is way better imho. Long live 🪵 and sharp points.