Chalk Transfer Photos

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Took the time to take some pictures of the amount of chalk transferred to the cueball... I used a hard Ki-Tech and each mark is made from 1 tip off center hit at medium speed. The 5 ball was used to allow contrast as the White chalk would not have shown up in the photos. The mark was immediately following application of chalk to the tip.... From a transfer point the Masters and Predator formulas seemed to have the smallest transfer while the Kamui had the most... As can be seen it was the .98 version as I cannot locate my 1.21 at the moment...

This is a basic test and room humidity might change the results.. I could see measuring the amount of chalk on the tip by weight and even the amount left on the cueball by weight as well but this was just a simple visual test and more cubes would be required with a larger sample size to be considered legitimate...

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Very nice test...thanx for that.

Maybe they could cut Boyes a little slack now for wanting the cue-ball
cleaned a lot in a humid venue.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Very nice test...thanx for that.

Maybe they could cut Boyes a little slack now for wanting the cue-ball
cleaned a lot in a humid venue.

If he had a bad skid it may have gotten into his head over the thoughts that he was sharking Efren... I have seen skids cost several matches and high runs over the years I have done the replays for Accu-Stats.... I think Karl was sharking himself......

Niels was using Blue Diamond and did have the cueball cleaned but it wasn't near as often.....

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like you should test blue chalk on a white ball, and white on a blue ball.

I really can't tell from these pics whether yours is really that much worse than masters sine it shows up sooo much better on the orange ball.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice test, thanks. I like the Predator chalk I've been using and this simple test gives at least a little bit of validity as to why. Only thing I don't care for is the amount of ink they put in the wrapper. When humidity is high it does come off on your hand more than that of other brands if you don't use a chalk holder of some sort, and I'm not a fan of chalk holders.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
NOT a CHANCE !!! :D :) :grin:

:rotflmao1:
Will you give him a break, froze?
Pool players complain about skids as much as the snooker players....
...but many don't do anything about it.....
...they seem to think it's a combination of Kismet and Karma.

How about saving a little steam for those golfers that always
clean the ball before they putt?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I feel like you should test blue chalk on a white ball, and white on a blue ball.

I really can't tell from these pics whether yours is really that much worse than masters sine it shows up sooo much better on the orange ball.

Orange was the best palette for having them both on the same ball in my centennial set... I do think the tv balls may offer something better and will stop by the billiard store this week and look at the options... The reason I linked the other 2 options for the images above is they are in higher quality and larger so you can zoom them up a bunch without pixelization....

Barnabus McDoug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting test. I stopped using Predator chalk and reverted back to tan Masters because my cue ball and my hands stain horribly blue.

Can't wait to try the Great White chalk. Any idea on availability? Also, is your packaging hint magnetic/metal based or is that just the chalk holder the player prefers?

iffysam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thats interesting, but would the type of tip has more things to do with the chalk?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
thats interesting, but would the type of tip has more things to do with the chalk?

In theory the chalk on the ball is there because it was stuck to the layer of chalk below it and not the tip... I used a hard tip just because it seemed to have the cleanest round contact patch.. I doubt the amount of transfer would differ but the size and shape of the patch may be sightly different....

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Interesting test. I stopped using Predator chalk and reverted back to tan Masters because my cue ball and my hands stain horribly blue.

Can't wait to try the Great White chalk. Any idea on availability? Also, is your packaging hint magnetic/metal based or is that just the chalk holder the player prefers?

Good catch... Week to 10 days and I will have a promo thread up on sales.... The packaging hint... There is no chalk "holder" required so you are on the right track.... Will likely show promo Labeling and packaging tomorrow... Hopefully at least... The tips are still kicking up grass and I have to send out a cpl hundred on Monday... Few more weeks of this and I can scrap our current almost antique presses and automate........

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
nice visuals and review.

what's the condition of the balls and how were they cleaned? also note that touching the balls would make them a bit oily.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
nice visuals and review.

what's the condition of the balls and how were they cleaned? also note that touching the balls would make them a bit oily.

Cotton towel was used to wipe them between shots... I figured out the Oily thing pretty quickly when I rubbed them down with my fingers as I was trying to get an idea of which cue/tip combo I was going to use for a nice contact patch.... As far as the balls are concerned they had been cleaned by hand with the Aramith compound last weekend.... No hamburgers or fries had been consumed during play between then and when we did the tests =)