Championship Tourney Table Maintenance?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago my brother got me into following and watching Snooker after he moved to London.
Really love watching the game.
We were talking yesterday about the fiasco with the protester and just wondering??

Does anyone know if the tables are regularly recovered during a World Championship?
Is it normal practice to install an new cloth for a tournament like this, during the tournament?

If so, How often?

I'm guessing that if its common practice it should be done nightly.

My other guess is, no, the cloth isn't re-newed and should be fine for 2 weeks (unless something/one ruins a cloth) and most players would rather grow into/learn the tables rather than having to start over every time there's a new cloth install. I'm thinking each day the table is slippery/squirrely in a new way.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago my brother got me into following and watching Snooker after he moved to London.
Really love watching the game.
We were talking yesterday about the fiasco with the protester and just wondering??

Does anyone know if the tables are regularly recovered during a World Championship?
Is it normal practice to install an new cloth for a tournament like this, during the tournament?

If so, How often?

I'm guessing that if its common practice it should be done nightly.

My other guess is, no, the cloth isn't re-newed and should be fine for 2 weeks (unless something/one ruins a cloth) and most players would rather grow into/learn the tables rather than having to start over every time there's a new cloth install. I'm thinking each day the table is slippery/squirrely in a new way.

there's at least one scheduled re-clothing of the tables. but i don't know if there's more than that one (well this year they had the protester mess so one table is already re-clothed)

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you're saying, for a 2 week long Major Tournament, the tables get re-done for week 2.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So you're saying, for a 2 week long Major Tournament, the tables get re-done for week 2.
For one week tournaments I think they get redone for the semifinals. I believe they are recovered twice for the World Championship.

At the start of the Crucible tournament, they have a two table setup and 32 players. For the semis, they go down to one table. They would definitely recover at that time. I believe they recover after week one or so. That would be sometime after the first round.

The players seem to prefer the new cloth. This is in contrast to most carom players who don't want to play on brand new cloth due to the changing and unpredictable slide.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

it's probably more than one, but i only know one for sure. here's some insight from a table fitter:

different tournament but the UK champs is the second biggest on the calendar, and is also played over two weeks. he says "up to three times a week" so i guess it's a matter of judgement. i don't know if the new chalks have reduced the frequency of cloth care since then, it sure has reduced the complaints from the players and the cue ball cleaning during the matches.

telinoz

Registered
Back in 2011, Goldfields Open kicked off in Australia.
First WST pro event in Australia.

At the time, I was co running a big forum for Oceania, on a few boards, and got a media pass.
I met all the top players, did some interviews.

I also bought the table Neil Robertson won the World Championship on in 2010 and had it shipped to Sydney.
Because of that as well, during my back stage interviews I got to meet the team who maintain the tables.
One of which packed mine up back in UK!

I watched tables being built up, cloth put on and levelled.
Great process to watch by the way, such skill.

During that event, they changed the cloth twice.
When I asked, the answer I got for each tournament is... it depends.
Humidity, player feedback, their judgement.
They have meetings with tournament director and make decisions.
It isn't so rigid and plain cut.

As others have mentioned, WC, UK, Masters.. they have a routine and format has been predictable enough along with the venue that do have set periods.

When you hear players, commentators (who are mostly players) talk about the table is playing easy, or pockets are big... they are not talking about pocket cut.
The templates remain the same, World standard.
Its the cloth.
New cloth, balls slide a bit more and easier to pocket even if you catch a cushion sometimes.

So, some tournaments, and for TV and big breaks, they may change the cloth more.
Just my observations over watching Snooker for 35 odd years now and gaining some insights behind the scenes.