Changes to the Mechanics Directory

Dartman

Silver Member
It's been a while since I added anyone to the Mechanics Directory and in looking thru some of the threads it appears
some AZ members have had good experiences with installers/mechanics that are not members here or may
have not been aware of the AZB forum.

That said, I'd like some community feedback on a couple of contemplated changes to the Mechanics Directory.

1. Letting members recommend installers/mechanics for addition to the Directory without the requirement
that the person being recommended be an AZ member.

2. Making the posting of "pictures of work" optional rather then required.

Thoughts?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
It's been a while since I added anyone to the Mechanics Directory and in looking thru some of the threads it appears
some AZ members have had good experiences with installers/mechanics that are not members here or may
have not been aware of the AZB forum.

That said, I'd like some community feedback on a couple of contemplated changes to the Mechanics Directory.

1. Letting members recommend installers/mechanics for addition to the Directory without the requirement
that the person being recommended be an AZ member.

2. Making the posting of "pictures of work" optional rather then required.

Thoughts?
Sounds like a reasonable update.
Thank you for your continued contribution to the forum.

TrevorB

Registered
Good plan on both options. I found Jack Zimmerman via this forum, very well respected here. Yet, he was removed from the mechanics list due to his photo link was bad. I know Jack keeps plenty busy, but the next guy like me who needs an installer/mechanic and has no clue, I'd like them to find Jack like I did. @JZMechanix

Dartman

Silver Member
Yeah, I did not like to remove anyone but at the time we started the directory the feeling was to have some visual evidence as to the work a person did and also for them to maintain it for other members to view. Anyone that was removed was given several notices via PM.
I know Jack does excellent work. I'm hoping some more people will weigh in here with their thoughts on the proposed changes. I still have directory info going back to around 2011 so easy enough to make changes if a few more members agree with the proposal.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
78 views and 2 replies?
come on folks.
I'm not a mechanic, but I'll give you my two cents. If you are wanting a directory listing table mechanics, it has to be inclusive regardless if the mechanic is a member of AZB or they upload pics of their work. Having both as an option will weed out the "installers" from the "mechanics". Of course there would need to be a disclaimer that you hire at your own risk and do your own research. It should simply be a listing (as robust as possible) of mechanics across the country. Steve Liestikow (CA) is probably the best mechanic on the West Coast but he's not listed. Pretty big oversight if you ask me and I'm sure there are other comparable omissions in all corners of the country.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I think they should have to be members and screened by you! just my 2 cents, but, this mechanics forum needs more active members. If there are other good mechanics who have something top offer, they should. IMO the forum has come a long way and most of the drama/BS does not go on anymore. I love this place and it has helped me tremendously. I also think you should have to buy a gold membership TO SELL ANYTHING ON THIS SITE. Not saying anyone has to agree, you asked dartman, so I responded!

TFT

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
78 views and 2 replies?
come on folks.

OK, since you cajoled....:)
Not being a tech or installer myself, will not comment on #1.

AFA #2, it seems that in many trades there are people at the top who just don't care to make an effort to do photos or social media unless someone else does it for them. That should not be a dis-qualifier for representing their work, if they have a good reputation. People who can read will find them. OTOH, many consumers at every level, will shop by pix first. Point being, not having photos may lose some advantage for the tech, (they're probably too busy already anyway). But in an otherwise qualified listing it would not have any bearing on the level of work received by the customer.

Given posts about subjects like "I didn't even know that kind of pocket/cloth detailing was possible"
You could add a disclaimer/boilerplate:

"methods of table repair and set up depend on conditions & often vary. AZ Billiards has a wealth of information posted over decades by many talented technicians who have generously shared their skills & insights. The careful consumer who does not already personally know a table technician will educate themselves from this deep archive in order to understand options that may be available for finishing & detailing specific features of table construction before engaging a tech from the list."

:)

smt

Dartman

Silver Member
Just to regress a bit since some of you were not on AZB when the directory started -
We've always had the debate of "mechanic" vs. "installer" and at that time we looked for
a way to differentiate the 2 for the benefit of members on this forum looking for people
that could do advanced work on a table (ex: tightening pockets without resorting to
adding 2 extra sets of facings to do it).

That said we thought that "pics of work" was a good way to show or prove a persons
experience if their name was not Glen or Jack or Jay or Mark or several other names that
had been providing great contributions as well as pics of their work to the forum all along.

Fast forward to now -
We do not see many posts or info about table work from the new members frequenting
this part of the forum as we did back then. One thing still remains that members still seek
qualified people to work on their tables and this is what we tried to accomplish by creating
the directory. Some members have had great results from people we have never heard of
so making a change to incorporate word of mouth appears to be a reasonable way to be
added to the directory and changing the pics of work to optional rather then required.

An an aside to Glen, who was part of all the discussion leading up to the creation of the
directory, I would certainly appreciate your input now.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Should be two forums.

INSTALLER
Need someone to install my table.
May or may not include moving the table
May or may not include new cloth/recovering
Includes leveling
Warranty of at least 90 days

MECHANIC
I have a table I want modified
it may or may not involve relocating the table
it may or may not involve re-leveling of the table
it may or may not involve new rails
It may or may not involve adjusting the height/angle of existing rails
it may or may not involve pocket size adjustment
it may or may not involve adjusting pocket facing angles
warranty of at least one year

But then, I just read the forum. I have no clue.

bradsh98

Silver Member
I cringe whenever I see the word "Mechanic", in reference to a pool table.. Pool tables are not machinery. As per the definition, one may be skilled in the use of tools and machines, though not have a clue on how to correct a poorly playing pool table.

Mechanic.png

I much prefer the title, "Technician".

Technician.png

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I cringe whenever I see the word "Mechanic", in reference to a pool table.. Pool tables are not machinery. As per the definition, one may be skilled in the use of tools and machines, though not have a clue on how to correct a poorly playing pool table.

View attachment 594279

I much prefer the title, "Technician".

View attachment 594278
not that it matters, but, yes DIamond SMART tables do have basic machinery in them. So it works there. Diamond agrees with your perspective. i like either :) There are far more pressing issues for me with working on pool tables than what someone refers to me as title wise. A$$hole has been one word that some can say, lets just say I made sure they thought that way for a reason! :) I hope you are well :_)

TFT

bradsh98

Silver Member
not that it matters, but, yes DIamond SMART tables do have basic machinery in them. So it works there. Diamond agrees with your perspective. i like either :) There are far more pressing issues for me with working on pool tables than what someone refers to me as title wise. A$$hole has been one word that some can say, lets just say I made sure they thought that way for a reason! :) I hope you are well :_)

TFT
Doing good. Busy as ever.. Wish that it would slow down a bit, so that I can actually enjoy the windfall.

I hope that you are well, also.

Dartman

Silver Member
All input received was considered.
Changes to be added to the Directory have been made.
Any comments should be posted in this thread.
Thanks all.