Changing cue weight with age

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone here changed to a lighter cue as their age creeps up? I have a friend and fellow AZ'er who is a STRONG player both in tournaments who at around age 80 has changed from a 19 to 18 oz cue. What are you thoughts on cue weight as we age? Thanks In Advance
Mike...I've been playing with 18 oz cues for the past 25 years...love 'em.

Scott Lee

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That makes sense on paper, but years ago, I played with a 17 oz house cue on an 8 footer with a big azz cue ball. It sort of counteracted the big cue ball's bigness, if you know what I mean. I could just tap the cue against the ball and it would do its job.

Now, I use side and spin and other crap and make the cue ball go sometimes. Ooo, look at me! I miss the old days but not the mud balls.

Jeff Livingston

This sounds like the opposite of what should happen, in order to get the heavier larger cueball moving you would need more force not less, so a heavier cue or more arm power. Can't cheat physics, more mass to move equals more force you need to exert to move it.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
This sounds like the opposite of what should happen, in order to get the heavier larger cueball moving you would need more force not less, so a heavier cue or more arm power. Can't cheat physics, more mass to move equals more force you need to exert to move it.

It could be that 17 oz was enough to do the job. Remember that the bigger cue ball xfers its energy to the OB so that changes what speed it needs, etc.

It worked.

Jeff Livingston

RacerX750

Registered
I would suggest that familiarity is important. Also experimentation is valuable to decide what you like. Then settle down and go back to familiarity for as long as possible.

My assumption is that Father Time is cruel and no amount of cue weight changes, hip weights, arm weights, steel toed boots, ear muffs, and finger extenders will counteract the effects of deterioration. Some people are lucky to hold their game late into life and some get it stolen from them earlier and we have little influence on that.

This just took a bummer turn in tone. How do you guys feel about jump cues?
I'm not young and have recently moved to a heavier cue with good success. At least for me it's working right now.
I know we can have a great deal of influence on physical abilities as we age - all it takes is the will to go to the gym and lift weights, and not 2 1/2 or 5 pound dumbbells' either. I'm in better shape today than I was 25 years ago when I started lifting. It takes dedication and desire, just like pool does. Some may have injuries that prevent heavy lifting, but the majority of people I've met just don't want to do the work. Again, just like pool.

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best of luck!
I've posted in past: retina surgery actually got me back into pool - when i couldn't do anything else. Talk about torture, but it kept me engaged. Then 6 months -a year later, after all the fluid is back, go back in for the cataract that forms. That eye still has a wave in it. look at a mountain in the distance, and the shape is different between it and good eye. AFA pool, i tell people it's like trying to catch a fish barehanded underwater - it's not that you aren't fast enough (when young, anyway) it's that where you see the fish, is not quite where it actually is. I have that effect with pool balls. If you practice routinely, your mind takes over, compensates, and it is seamless. If you try to show up at the weekly tournament every other week or so with little or no practice in between, it is brutal.

Sincerely hope your (or anyone's) experience is flawless.
(or that you get more time to practice :) )

smt
Thanks for the best wishes!!! I go for my follow-up visit on Friday, and I'm eager to see what the vision looks like once the silicone bubble is removed. Of course, things are indeed quite wavy in the affected eye, and I accept that not only will the vision probably never be what it was, but that I'll be back soon for cataract surgery (ugh!). But hey! It's WAY better than the alternative.

And here's the crazy part! It has indeed inspired me to get back to practicing again (since one thing is clear...I'd better enjoy my pool time while I can still see the balls). And guess what? I'm hitting the ball pretty darned good!! :)