Changing ferrule question.

bayoublaster400

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a new low deflection Vikore shaft in that I've been using for a few months now that has a 13mm tip. Problem is that I've been using a Vikore shaft with with a 12.75 mm tip for years now and I just can't get use to using the 13 mm tip. Ok, so here is what might seem like a stupid question, but I have to ask. Short of getting a completely new shaft with a 12.75 mm ferrule, can the shaft I have now be changed from a 13 mm ferrule to a 12.75 mm ferrule? Or is the shaft that I have now turned to a 13 mm size and wouldn't be able to play the same if a 12.75 mm ferrule was installed on it? I don't want to have any work done on the shaft to get a 12.75 mm ferrule. I'd just get another new shaft if it comes to that.
Thanks for your input!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
0.00984252 in is difference, 1/4 mm is next to nothing.

Maybe you should Play with what you got longer.😭

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
From what I could see of the construction of the shaft on Viking's site, it looks like you could probably have it turned down without any issue. I would contact them first and see what they say though.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
From what I could see of the construction of the shaft on Viking's site, it looks like you could probably have it turned down without any issue. I would contact them first and see what they say though.

Or maybe Viking will do for reasonable fee, plus I’d they screw up. It’s on them, not u.😢

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a new low deflection Vikore shaft in that I've been using for a few months now that has a 13mm tip. Problem is that I've been using a Vikore shaft with with a 12.75 mm tip for years now and I just can't get use to using the 13 mm tip. Ok, so here is what might seem like a stupid question, but I have to ask. Short of getting a completely new shaft with a 12.75 mm ferrule, can the shaft I have now be changed from a 13 mm ferrule to a 12.75 mm ferrule? Or is the shaft that I have now turned to a 13 mm size and wouldn't be able to play the same if a 12.75 mm ferrule was installed on it? I don't want to have any work done on the shaft to get a 12.75 mm ferrule. I'd just get another new shaft if it comes to that.
Thanks for your input!
If I understand your question correctly, whatever ferrule you use should be blended to the shaft diameter. You should be more concerned with the ferrule material. I cut my own ferrule material to about 14-15mm, then cut them down to the diameter of the shaft. Once blended, you can run your finger over the shaft/ferrule connection and it will feel smooth. If you haven’t tried Tomahawk ferrule material, give it a try for your next ferrule. I’m replacing all my ferrules with Tomahawk; it’s that good.

bayoublaster400

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I understand your question correctly, whatever ferrule you use should be blended to the shaft diameter. You should be more concerned with the ferrule material. I cut my own ferrule material to about 14-15mm, then cut them down to the diameter of the shaft. Once blended, you can run your finger over the shaft/ferrule connection and it will feel smooth. If you haven’t tried Tomahawk ferrule material, give it a try for your next ferrule. I’m replacing all my ferrules with Tomahawk; it’s that good.
I will take your advice on the Tomahawk ferrule material. So as I understand it, there would be work to be done to the shaft in order blend it down from 13 mm to 12.75 mm cue tip size correct? Where is the best place to get the Tomahawk frrule material? I didn't Google for it yet. Thanks again for the input and help!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your input!
Good morning
YOUR MOST IMPORTANT sentence in your post is.
I want a 12.75mm but you don't want any work done on the existing shaft.
Pretty funny
Because next, your willing to change the ferrule to something totally different than the 12.75mm shaft you already have and like. Which means some work would have to be done on the shaft you already said you didn't want worked on.

So...
Which is it?
And what would you really liked done?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have not taken the time to look up your shaft design on anyones site. But with most ferrules you could just taper the ferrule down a quarter of mm from one end to the other with no problem. Changing the ferrule would not be needed. Any quality cue repairman could do that. But will you be happy feeling that 13mm going through your fingers? If not taking the shaft down a little might be good.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Sir
I have never disrespected you and I won't now.
The first part of your post was perfect.
The 2nd part is something we Cue makers don't preach here, and neither should anyone else.
Jmo

My point is or was even a pro screws up, I did in my business, always ate goof. Even if it was lost of money. Happy client pay bills.

I tend to let prod do thing I am not sure of. Money well spent.👍

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your input!
You can do what a lot of snooker cues do and taper the very front of the cue. In your case, you can just taper the ferrule and then put on the 12.75mm tip. Even though it is 5 thou per side of taper it will be very noticeable to look at. If you don't like it at 12.75mm, just put another ferrule back onto the cue and you are back to the 13mm that you currently have. Usually the snooker cues taper over 2 inches or so before their short brass ferrule to stop the Ash wood from splitting. You can even do the reverse and make it to a larger diameter tip by flaring the ferrule. Lots can be done with ferrules. The Tomahawk material is great stuff to work with as well.

bayoublaster400

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning
Pretty funny
Because next, your willing to change the ferrule to something totally different than the 12.75mm shaft you already have and like. Which means some work would have to be done on the shaft you already said you didn't want worked on.

So...
Which is it?

Good morning
Pretty funny

So...
Which is it?
I guess I should have asked can the ferrule on the shaft which I have with the 13 mm ferrule be changed out to a 12 mm ferrule without any work being done to the shaft itself. As I said, I will order another shaft before I would have work done on the shaft that has the 13 mm ferrule on it. SO, yeah I deserved the funny comment. Even if I could get a 12.75 mm ferrule on that shaft, I just believe now after reading all of the comments and suggestions, that the ferrule itself will have too much of a taper to it going from 13 mm down to 12.75 mm. So, I believe I'll just order another shaft with the correct ferrule size as Viking said IF I can send them the ferrule material of my choice, they'll use it on the shaft I order.

Last edited:

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about a Tomahawk ferrule on a Meucci black dot shaft, would that improve the hit, (the hit feels a little soft for my liking) or cause more deflection, less deflection etc.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
You probably wouldn't want to just replace or turn down the ferrule only. You would either have a very obvious cone to it, or an edge where the ferrule meets the wood. Re-cutting the shaft along the first 15-20 inches (depending on the taper) would be how I would go about something like this. Also, Viking's ferrule is a big part of their shaft design, you probably wont improve on it using Tomahawk. It's cool that they agreed to use it if you send them some though!

bayoublaster400

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to all of you for your knowledge and insight. Had not been here in a while and it's nice to know there's still a ton of good people out there willing to stear you in the right direction. Thanks again to all!

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
My point is or was even a pro screws up, I did in my business, always ate goof. Even if it was lost of money. Happy client pay bills.

I tend to let prod do thing I am not sure of. Money well spent.👍
Bruce I`m not a cue maker & never will be, But WTF does ate goof mean? Did you mean Goop? even if it was lost money? I can`t wait till WEED is legal in PA so I can make post like this & blame it on my weed addiction. Sorry back to the real post

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Bruce I`m not a cue maker & never will be, But WTF does ate goof mean? Did you mean Goop? even if it was lost money? I can`t wait till WEED is legal in PA so I can make post like this & blame it on my weed addiction. Sorry back to the real post

Well my profession was contract photographer, remember one time I sent raw film out of small airport. Did not use lead bag to protect.

FedX forged film,editor called, I said no problem, will reshoot next pm, and get film to you in 48 hours.

I drive the 200 miles again, donated my time, brought the exposed film downhill hill. Paid for processing, made deadline,and ate second shoot, mileage, proesiing, etc.

Funny thing was editor insisted film would be ok with FedX, never sent exposed unprocessed film ever again without being in lead bag. Bags were anti radiation x ray bags.