Changing Mezz WD700 Ferrule to?

CaptainPots

Registered
Hi,

I'm using an old WD700 shaft and I'm considering changing the ferrule. I'd like to explore ferrules other than Mezz ferrules.

Any suggestions on what ferrule would be apt?

FWIW I'll be using a milk dud from pooldawg8.

Thanks!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

I'm using an old WD700 shaft and I'm considering changing the ferrule. I'd like to explore ferrules other than Mezz ferrules.

Thanks!
Probably not a good idea, in my opinion. Mezz shafts are to be used with Mezz ferrules. It would also likely void any warranty from Mezz if you were to happen to have any problem with the shaft down the road.

CaptainPots

Registered
Probably not a good idea, in my opinion. Mezz shafts are to be used with Mezz ferrules. It would also likely void any warranty from Mezz if you were to happen to have any problem with the shaft down the road.
I don't think my warranty is valid anymore. My distributor did not mention anything about warranty 7 years ago, neither did I keep the receipt of purchase.

Assuming that warranty is not of concern, it's undeniable that a Mezz ferrule would work well. But being open and curious to change, I would like to hear some suggestions of what other ferrules would be apt, preferably from personal experience.

Thanks Chris!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think my warranty is valid anymore. My distributor did not mention anything about warranty 7 years ago, neither did I keep the receipt of purchase.

Assuming that warranty is not of concern, it's undeniable that a Mezz ferrule would work well. But being open and curious to change, I would like to hear some suggestions of what other ferrules would be apt, preferably from personal experience.

Thanks Chris!
I would doubt Mezz has any time expiration on their shaft warranty's regardless of age, depending on what specific problem you might have with it. Only thing I don't like about my Mezz ferrule is it's hard to keep clean of chalk. Most ferrules you simply hit with a little superfine 0000 steel wool and it's like new, but not on a Mezz ferrule.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

Thanks!

What effect are you trying to achieve? Different hit? More/less squirt? Secret compartment to hide drugs? There a lot of questions that would help offer direction.

If your goal is to simply try something different, then I'd probably just get a different tip.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

cer0286

Registered
I would doubt Mezz has any time expiration on their shaft warranty's regardless of age, depending on what specific problem you might have with it. Only thing I don't like about my Mezz ferrule is it's hard to keep clean of chalk. Most ferrules you simply hit with a little superfine 0000 steel wool and it's like new, but not on a Mezz ferrule.

I use a magic eraser and denatured alcohol on my Mezz ferrules. Cleans it right up.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a magic eraser and denatured alcohol on my Mezz ferrules. Cleans it right up.
I'd be a little wary of the denatured alcohol contacting the shaft just below the ferrule. Do you put anything on the shaft to protect it when you're doing this, or does that not concern you?

cer0286

Registered
I'd be a little wary of the denatured alcohol contacting the shaft just below the ferrule. Do you put anything on the shaft to protect it when you're doing this, or does that not concern you?

Nope, I clean the shaft with it too. I don't soak the eraser, and it dries very fast. Some manufacturers, such as OB suggest this as a cleaning method. I don't do it often, but it works very very well.

CaptainPots

Registered
A little background info:
I believe my ferrule was 12.5 mm in diameter until I mentioned to my cue repairman that my ferrule had deep scratches in it. He removed them without telling me how he’d do it and last night I measured the diameter using a pair of calipers to be 12.3 mm. I can only assume he sanded down the ferrule and buffed it on a lathe to remove the scratches without my knowledge. Lowering that bit of end mass ended up reducing the deflection noticeably, even significantly lower than my friend’s 314-2 (we are using the same tip) and verified by a few people.

With a new ferrule I’d be looking for deflection to be the same as currently or same as before (easily achieved by changing to the original Mezz ferrule). However, I’d want to try a ferrule that offers a stiffer(?) hit? Currently on some power shots my cue feels a bit flimsy and has a buzzing feel to it. It’d be nice if I get a morr solid hit through the cue ball with a different ferrule.

Do I make sense?

What effect are you trying to achieve? Different hit? More/less squirt? Secret compartment to hide drugs? There a lot of questions that would help offer direction.

If your goal is to simply try something different, then I'd probably just get a different tip.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cracked the ferrule on my Ex Pro shaft and I now use a Tomahawk ferrule on mine. It changed the hit a tad and according to Mika Immonen (who played with my cue for 30 min or so) it added a bit more deflection.

You can buy one from mvpcues.com and the best part is they are chalk resistant.

CaptainPots

Registered
How would you describe the change in hit?

I cracked the ferrule on my Ex Pro shaft and I now use a Tomahawk ferrule on mine. It changed the hit a tad and according to Mika Immonen (who played with my cue for 30 min or so) it added a bit more deflection.

You can buy one from mvpcues.com and the best part is they are chalk resistant.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go with Ivory or Juma. I prefer ivory and milkdud tip. I don't give a chit about deflection because I could miss with a 100% zero deflection shaft!

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Expro ferrule needs to be changed as well because of lines made by chalk pieces I think and a cue repairman suggested I get a juma ferrule as it's what feels the most similar to mezz's. I haven't gotten it changed yet but I intend to soon.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a juma and ivorine put on a wd700 after the original mezz cracked. I liked the juma but it split also so I had a ivorine put on. Liked it the best. Eventually the tenon broke and went with the hybrid pro. Didn’t have great luck with that shaft but really liked it. Didn’t matter to me which ferrule.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a juma and ivorine put on a wd700 after the original mezz cracked. I liked the juma but it split also so I had a ivorine put on. Liked it the best. Eventually the tenon broke and went with the hybrid pro. Didn’t have great luck with that shaft but really liked it. Didn’t matter to me which ferrule.

WTH! Dude? Are you breaking with it 50 times per day? How do you break so many ferrules?

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little background info:
I believe my ferrule was 12.5 mm in diameter until I mentioned to my cue repairman that my ferrule had deep scratches in it. He removed them without telling me how he’d do it and last night I measured the diameter using a pair of calipers to be 12.3 mm. I can only assume he sanded down the ferrule and buffed it on a lathe to remove the scratches without my knowledge. Lowering that bit of end mass ended up reducing the deflection noticeably, even significantly lower than my friend’s 314-2 (we are using the same tip) and verified by a few people.

With a new ferrule I’d be looking for deflection to be the same as currently or same as before (easily achieved by changing to the original Mezz ferrule). However, I’d want to try a ferrule that offers a stiffer(?) hit? Currently on some power shots my cue feels a bit flimsy and has a buzzing feel to it. It’d be nice if I get a morr solid hit through the cue ball with a different ferrule.

Do I make sense?

Yes it makes sense. However it sounds like you have an issue with your current shaft/ferrule. My experience is that Mezz cues, especially a WD700, hits very solid.

Maybe they can look at your whole cue and fix or replace whatever is wrong.

KMRUNOUT

bmeek

Registered
If your ferrule is now narrower and that bothers you, wouldn't that mean the wood is also narrower as well? If that's the case, you're not going to be able to replace it with a thicker ferrule. Am I missing something here?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hydex 202 is the closest to the original Mezz NX material (NX ferrules can be ordered through your Mezz dealer...)
I have used Tomahawk and Juma with great results. If you where to weight a WX700 NX ferrule vs Hydex, Juma or Tomahawk, the differences would be very small indeed, but if you as caleAYS have a Ivorine ferule put on, that sure is gonna be a noticable difference.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTH! Dude? Are you breaking with it 50 times per day? How do you break so many ferrules?

Haha no idea. The original mezz cracked after about 6 years of owning it and playing almost every day. Rarely broke with it and when I did I wasn’t smashing them. It was taken down to about 11.8mm and I always had a really thin tip on it. Like 2 or 3 layers. Probably didn’t help. The juma splitting was my fault. Trying a half ball jump with it. The tenon broke on a normal medium hard draw shot. Nothing crazy. Never cracked a ferrule on any other shaft and I take care of my stuff.