changing the insert on Pred 314'2??

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
''IF'' there is a thread on it could someone post the link(nothing for me on search)
has anyone done this??
can it be done(like on any other shaft?
I've done it on old regular shafts just not an aftermarket and Im scared to even try it right now

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Bore to remove current insert. DO NOT use heat. You run the risk of splitting the shaft.

Bore/drill the hole at least 1/2" deeper than the length of the new insert (or pin if 3/8 or Radial). Epoxy phenolic plug in place, drill/tap & install new insert.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
HDR10 said:
''IF'' there is a thread on it could someone post the link(nothing for me on search)
has anyone done this??
can it be done(like on any other shaft?
I've done it on old regular shafts just not an aftermarket and Im scared to even try it right now

What thread do you want to change to? If you are changing from 5 1/6-18 to 5 1/6 -14 just tap the insert with a 5 1/6-14. Other that drill the old insert out, like others have said never heat it, because the glue that binds the dowel together will break down and allow separation of the dowels sections.

Take Care

Last edited:

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
change from uni-lock to 5/16-14!!thaks for the info!I had thought about heating it like an old(meucci or joss/schon)shaft.
I have changed a few of those through the years but just too worried about the 314'2!
think I'll let him send it to someone else rather than tke a chance of screwing up a good shaft