Chieh Yu "Rita" Chou's cue?

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wondering if anyone knows what she plays with? I'm curious because her shaft's ferrule has a distinctly yellow hue to it, which I've only seen on some cues from the 1980s.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why. They don't hit that good

1e48392d8df59bcfbc11f7decbcac7a1155839151e5fece526e011d44ccd468e.jpg

They hit pretty well and are beautiful cues, but I'll never buy one at the secondary market prices.

imissedthe9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chou Fong Pang played with a southwest cue and was Taiwan's 1st world pool champion.

he popularized them in Taiwan.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chou Fong Pang played with a southwest cue and was Taiwan's 1st world pool champion.

GYK was based out of TW for a few years so she always played with one. Then she got a pretty good offer of sponsorship from an Asian Cue company and switched. For about 2 years she played the worst pool of her adult life. She said screw the sponsorship $$, went back to her SW and started winning again.

ga9ball

South West Buyer!
Silver Member
Rita Chou

South West = " The Best "

Attachments

• Rita Chou.jpg
    Rita Chou.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,182
Last edited:

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Southwest.. The yellow is yellow micarata ferrule

Thanks. I figured Sothwest, but the yellow ferrule threw me off.

GYK was based out of TW for a few years so she always played with one. Then she got a pretty good offer of sponsorship from an Asian Cue company and switched. For about 2 years she played the worst pool of her adult life. She said screw the sponsorship $$, went back to her SW and started winning again.

Pretty sure she is still spores by, and plays with, KF cues of Taiwan.

South West = " The Best "

If she chooses to attend, look for the cue to help her go deep into the field at the Women's World 10-Ball

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Those Chinese sure love their southwests ;)

Taiwanese mostly. Although the Chinese buyers are buying them due to influence from Taiwanese players and dealers.

Taiwan is one country where the best players do have a perceivable influence on what those below them use.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I figured Sothwest, but the yellow ferrule threw me off.

Pretty sure she is still spores by, and plays with, KF cues of Taiwan.

If she chooses to attend, look for the cue to help her go deep into the field at the Women's World 10-Ball

GYK has no cue sponsor-KF long gone- I know even a year or 2 after, it was still showing up on some websites as a sponsor of hers-Maybe it still is but it isnt so. She plays with her SW.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Ya way over valued, nice cues but there's def nicer in the same price range.

There is a certain mystic that you get with a South West cue, and some people will pay whatever to get it.
Nothing fancy, hard to figure, they are consistent that's for sure
You should test drive this Franklin shaft I picked up in a trade, it may change your mind
I agree they are overpriced in the secondary market, but they are cool looking.
How could you not want this cue>>:smile:

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wrong.

Chao won both his world championships with his Gina (first one was lost, then replaced by Ernie).

Yang Chin Shung was probably the Taiwanese player who popularized SW among the pros...although I remember local pros in Taipei fawning over SW's even before Yang came onto the scene.

jka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a somewhat related question. What shaft diameter do most of the Asian players prefer on their Southwests? I'm curious because, on average, most Asian people have smaller hands than Americans and I was wondering if 13mm was still the shaft size of choice.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a somewhat related question. What shaft diameter do most of the Asian players prefer on their Southwests? I'm curious because, on average, most Asian people have smaller hands than Americans and I was wondering if 13mm was still the shaft size of choice.

I don't know about now, but Taiwanese players used to prefer thicker shafts and heavier cues a while back. 21 oz and 13mm or more. The Predator FAT shaft was created to satisfy the Taiwan players and it is 13.2mm.

However, I'm not sure many of them ever got into the LD craze. Most shoot with solid maple shafts with the long ferrules.

Aloha.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Rita Chou must be top female player in Taiwan now above Penny Tsai. I think she is only one from Taiwan who has good chance to win W9B against those elite China players who have been dominating women W9B for past number of years.
Also hope to see her play in Queens Cup team event this April- last Queens Cup couple of years ago, Penny Tsai represented Taiwan :D