Cleaning balls: wtf happened?!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... And their alphabetical list seems to go rogue somewhere in the middle for a bit. ....
The table has categories like "PLATING SOLUTIONS" all in the same place. The table seems to have lost its indent levels for those categories.

What I find interesting is that many common cleaning solution ingredients are absolutely forbidden on phenolic. Borax, for example. Who remembers the spokesman for 20 Mule Team Borax?
1687970008835.png

Twocylndr

The table has categories like "PLATING SOLUTIONS" all in the same place. The table seems to have lost its indent levels for those categories.

What I find interesting is that many common cleaning solution ingredients are absolutely forbidden on phenolic. Borax, for example. Who remembers the spokesman for 20 Mule Team Borax?
I believe it was Ronald Reagan.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Personally I think that looks pretty cool. Of course, if they were mine and I made them look that way, I might be a little put off, too...

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
View attachment 705600

I wanted to clean a set of balls that probably hadn't been cleaned in 10 years. I didn't have any specialty pool ball polish, but I read something online that said to soak the balls in lukewarm water and add a mild detergent, like Palmolive. I happened to have some Palmolive, so I put the balls in a bucket of warm water, then I added a bunch of Palmolive liquid. I let the balls soak for about 5 minutes, then I selected a ball, and I swished a very soft brush against the ball for no longer than 5 seconds), then I rinsed the ball in cold water, then I dried the ball, and I set the ball aside and I moved on to the next ball. The whole rack looks like that.
I shake up my liquid car polish and buff in on and off. Works great. Happen to have liquid turtle wax.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran a set through a dishwasher years ago and they turned out like that. That prompted me to make a bucket polisher. I put them in the polisher, gave a light shake of Barkeepers Friend and ran it for a few minutes. They all came out sparkling and you couldn't tell they were ever mottled like that.

tomatoshooter

Interesting that they rate Phenolic as a D for "salad dressing", but don't have anything listed for vinegar, acetic acid, or oils.
And their alphabetical list seems to go rogue somewhere in the middle for a bit.

Neat table though, thanks for posting.
I couldn't help but notice that both phenolic and Epoxy have excellent resistance to sperm, and wondering who needed to know that.

tomatoshooter

Dr Dave has a video on CIT that shows why wax is bad
I believe WPA specifies only water and rubbing alcohol should be used to clean balls. Allegedly, the wax can also build up in the cloth and cause unpredictable cueball action. I don't know if wax could hold chalk and cause skids. Dr. Dave probably mentions that but I haven't watched the video.
Found the guy with the boring practice sessions
I guess everybody has their own technique for getting "in stroke".

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I believe WPA specifies only water and rubbing alcohol should be used to clean balls. Allegedly, the wax can also build up in the cloth and cause unpredictable cueball action. I don't know if wax could hold chalk and cause skids. Dr. Dave probably mentions that but I haven't watched the video.

I guess everybody has their own technique for getting "in stroke".
It nearly eliminates throw but for a short time, then it’s all over the place between a lot and none, going back and forth as wax gets transferred and disappears. It’s the only thing that was erratic like that out of different tests

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I spent about 15seconds to come up with that list.
Here's a list that took a couple more minutes to locate. The website is from a Company that manufacturers Counter Tops for Chemical Laboratories.

Notice how they prep the material before inspection after exposure to the various chemicals.

"After 24-hours exposure, areas are washed with water, then a detergent solution and finally with isopropyl alcohol. Materials are then rinsed with distilled water and dried with a cloth."

https://chemtops.com/2020/02/06/should-you-choose-phenolic-or-epoxy-resin/

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I spent about 15seconds to come up with that list.
Here's a list that took a couple more minutes to locate. The website is from a Company that manufacturers Counter Tops for Chemical Laboratories.

Notice how they prep the material before inspection after exposure to the various chemicals.

"After 24-hours exposure, areas are washed with water, then a detergent solution and finally with isopropyl alcohol. Materials are then rinsed with distilled water and dried with a cloth."

https://chemtops.com/2020/02/06/should-you-choose-phenolic-or-epoxy-resin/
They are dealing with countertops, not pool balls. No one cares how countertops play and we don't even know if the countertops that were tested were polished to a high luster. Water and detergent should not be used to clean pool balls. There is literally zero need to do so and the outcome is proven by this thread. Can the effect be corrected by polishing? Sure, but there should never be a need to correct in the first place.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They are dealing with countertops, not pool balls. ....
I think the pertinent part of that point is that we can't be sure what the counter top was made from. Pool balls have additives other than plain phenolic resin to get the needed color and density. Pure phenolic resin is too light. I imagine that chem lab counter top resin has a special formulation that makes it as inert as possible.

But I agree (again) with your main point -- use pool ball products to clean and polish pool balls. I go with the manufacturer's recommendation.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
View attachment 705600

I wanted to clean a set of balls that probably hadn't been cleaned in 10 years. I didn't have any specialty pool ball polish, but I read something online that said to soak the balls in lukewarm water and add a mild detergent, like Palmolive. I happened to have some Palmolive, so I put the balls in a bucket of warm water, then I added a bunch of Palmolive liquid. I let the balls soak for about 5 minutes, then I selected a ball, and I swished a very soft brush against the ball for no longer than 5 seconds, then I rinsed the ball in cold water, then I dried the ball, and I set the ball aside and I moved on to the next ball. The whole rack looks like that.

Where did you read that? Awful