Clear coat ideas

Poke_N_Hope

Lost in Paradise
Silver Member
So...I am on the hunt for ideas of clear coat for a cue...something durable, easy to apply, and shiny. Does everyone use some sort of automotive finish?

I have heard and tried miraclecoat, various other clear epoxy base items...even tried cyano once....

I am looking for something that can be sprayed, and not sure if auto is the way to go over an epoxy base sealer.

Any thoughts or guidance is appreciated.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I think alot of guys use chroma. I have 2400s and it is good. I have heard the premier is even better.

It isn't cheap......

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
It takes like 100 times less key-strokes to do a 'search' than it does to ask a question.
The return is about 100 times greater as well. It's already been written.
All that's left to do is for you to read it. Just being honest.

KJ

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
If your not set up for it, stay away from automotive clear coats. They are probably the best for a hard, shiny and durable finish. They will also kill you without the proper protection.

Just my thoughts,
Alan

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
Depenfing on shop location (connected to home, other businesses or seperate building), you have a few options.
1. Spray
2. Brush/rub
3. Dipping

I started out spraying. Turns out great, fast, but lots of prep and cleaning time. I went to the dipping method and am happy with results and hardly no prep and cleanup time and much safer but takes longer.

Zim's Samsung Tablet

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Depenfing on shop location (connected to home, other businesses or seperate building), you have a few options.
1. Spray
2. Brush/rub
3. Dipping

I started out spraying. Turns out great, fast, but lots of prep and cleaning time. I went to the dipping method and am happy with results and hardly no prep and cleanup time and much safer but takes longer.

Zim's Samsung Tablet

You dip auto 2-part clear ?
That's a lot of clear to throw away.

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
Haha, no! I use a water based poly, a little safer.

Zim's Samsung Tablet

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Haha, no! I use a water based poly, a little safer.

Zim's Samsung Tablet

Tried those.

Takes forever to get hard and you can't really get the shine.
If you have success with them, a lot of people would want your recipe.

As far car clear coat, there are so many that are good.
A pro finisher would do a great job on $50 a gallon clear ( plus $20 in activator ) if given the right tools, sandpaper/scuff pad/steel wool and compounds.

Last edited: