Cloth color

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "Color of Money" is green.

Blue became popular because blue is better for TV.

I wonder what color the cloth would be at "Ames" if "The Hustler" were filmed in color?

View attachment 296217

I would agree with this comment. I prefer the Tourny Blue, but I've seen places with Tan and Red. It totally had to do with the decor of the room/hall.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Speaking as a player, blue is exponentially better to play on. It also has the added bonus of being cheaper to light. Nothing worse than lack luster lighting on green cloth.

g-string

Black is the worst. Red is also to dark. The blue& green are the best. Grey looks good, and they have a pink that looks like champagne but have not seen it in person yet. dark colors make cut shots harder.

Geosnookery

I prefer Green. However don’t notice if a pool table is covered green or blue after playing 10 seconds. Friend has a tan table…the same. Non issue.

I like my tournament green Snooker table. I can’t recall playing in anything but a green snooker table in over 50 years.

I once played on a red pool table. I just remember it feeling awkward. Could have just been the lighting.

DDiabolico

DDiabolico
If the room is only (or mostly) lit by the table lights, go for Tournament blue as it will look brighter. If you have additional light sources and the room is already well lit, green functions just as well. From my experience, green only works well in an already bright environment. Another option is Powder blue. Brighter than Tournament blue, hides stains a little bit better and has very good contrast.

Pierre Shakes

Registered
I prefer Green. However don’t notice if a pool table is covered green or blue after playing 10 seconds. Friend has a tan table…the same. Non issue.

I like my tournament green Snooker table. I can’t recall playing in anything but a green snooker table in over 50 years.

I once played on a red pool table. I just remember it feeling awkward. Could have just been the lighting.
Snooker has to be English green. I put a royal blue version of proper snooker cloth on one of the four 12’ tables I had at the time - nobody would use it. I took it off a month later and put it on a 9’ pool table - pool players didn’t mind, it was faster than the old 75/25 fuzzy cloth that was used before worsted was 'discovered.'

Pierre Shakes

Registered
Peacock Billiards in Victoria, BC, Canada right now has 18 different colours of cloth on our 24 tables of different styes. The visual effect is very cheerful. Most poolhalls have the sergeant-major aesthetic: uniformity - which is the definition of boring.

We provide gold chalk which you must use on yellow/gold cloth.
cloth of many colurs.jpg

bellmagic

Registered
We have black tables and need to pick a cloth color. Should we stick with classic green or do you thing players like reds or blues? Maybe an oddball color? Thanks in advance!
Just for the sake of it, my Dad was a really good player and owned a pool room. Most of the years I was learning, all our tables had Gold cloth, because it was easier to keep clean, you were cleaner, and ball colors were brighter and almost any kind of lighting seemed clearer and there were fewer shadows on the table. Balls, cues, and you were cleaner!! Put something gold on the table and see how it looks???

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Peacock Billiards in Victoria, BC, Canada right now has 18 different colours of cloth on our 24 tables of different styes. The visual effect is very cheerful. Most poolhalls have the sergeant-major aesthetic: uniformity - which is the definition of boring.

We provide gold chalk which you must use on yellow/gold cloth.View attachment 615849
These days with so many players using their personal chalk, usually blue, I would think it virtually impossible for a pool room to have any cloth color other than blue or green, and keep the cloth looking good.

In my opinion, any pool room that has any cloth color other than tournament blue, Simonis green or Simonis camel/gold is not a serious poolroom. Furthermore, any pool room that has more than one different color of cloth on their tables is even less a room to be taken seriously!

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
In my opinion, any pool room that has any cloth color other than tournament blue, Simonis green or Simonis camel/gold is not a serious poolroom and any Poolroom that has more than one different color of cloth on their tables even less serious!
As someone that doesn't own a pool room. I couldn't agree more with the above.

That said, some rooms aren't about pool. Much like the Dooley's that 'was' in my home town. Pool 'players' didn't go there. College kids did before hitting the bars, or they drank to much to drive to the actual bars and hung out till close.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing like bumping an 8 year old thread ;)

I'm a blue/green guy. Prefer blue but enjoy green equally as much.

Any other color is a travesty. Our local pool hall had crappy tan felt for years, combine that with the fact their tables absolutely sucked (and their food isn't that good) so I refused to go their unless it was a league sanctioned event.

They have since moved to all Diamond tables (7 7's and 9 or 10 9's). I still doubt I'll ever step foot in the place ;)

As someone that doesn't own a pool room. I couldn't agree more with the above.

That said, some rooms aren't about pool. Much like the Dooley's that 'was' in my home town. Pool 'players' didn't go there. College kids did before hitting the bars, or they drank to much to drive to the actual bars and hung out till close.
Dooleys?

You must be a fellow Spartan then!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Dooleys?

You must be a fellow Spartan then!

Pool hall chain that expanded heavily into at least Eastern/Central Canada, but at some point and for some unknown reason to me recoiled back to it's East coast roots.

From what I've told the franchises on the East coast are very pool player oreinted, but that wasn't the case with the few that did exist within driving distance to me.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We provide gold chalk which you must use on yellow/gold cloth.View attachment 615849
My $.02?? Red cloth would probably look good in an old west whorehouse. ;)

Pierre Shakes

Registered
I like and respect serious players, really I do, but they make up maybe 10% of my business.
And since I have 16 tables going at $16/ hour this afternoon and will soon have 24 tables going at $20-$24 for 6 or 7 hours…I truly don’t care about being a non-serious travesty of a whorehouse. I run it like a business.
Serious players who have been around say the cloth here is changed more often than anywhere else, ever.