cnc milling

fishinpoolplay

Registered
hi cue maker can you please tell me the advantage from cnc to manual inlay work? and any opinions on the model suppied by brianna the cnc breeze? thanks nick

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well manual inlays you have to make your own patterns or have them made. Which I can tell you is costly. With a CNC your designs are almost endless. I have been considering buying a CNC from Brianna. It looks like a good machine for the money.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
It also frees up time. I'm not sure how difficult it is to trace with the pantograph, but once a person creates the design, he/she can set up the machine and be free to do other things. All this time adds up quickly and......time is money.

Some will say that CNC takes away from the craft. Personally, I see it as just another tool. My friend makes cues full time and if CNC creates more time for him to produce even 5 more high end cues a year to feed his family, I say more power to him.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I currently don't use cnc for my cuemaking. But with cnc, you can make inlays and designs that fit near perfect every time, with the ability to repeat the same design.
You can also make small changes and it does not take too much more,as you just modify the existing the code.CNC inlays don'y have to have the radius in the corners, you can chizel them sharp, and make the inlay with a point, so you get all the control of the cnc for the pocket and profile, with the hand look by having the corners sharp.

The time with cnc is either drawing/modeling the part and creating a cutter path, or just writing the code.
Untill you get real comfortable in your writing of code, it is a good idea to do a dry run or a setup piece.But after 1 is done , the others are almost formality, depending on the mill and setup.
I have not seen Lee's setup in Person, just his promo video's. It looks to be a very repeatable and a good setup.
I will be looking at cnc myself in another year or two, but just not yet.I am still looking .

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well manual inlays you have to make your own patterns or have them made. Which I can tell you is costly. With a CNC your designs are almost endless. I have been considering buying a CNC from Brianna. It looks like a good machine for the money.

The Breeze is a good machine but has limitations. I would recomend the storm so that you can do all inlays at the same time with out changing your set up. I believe that Lee already has one ready to go and another is almost done.

good luck, Jim.

YCC

Yackley Custom Cues
The Breeze is a good machine but has limitations. I would recomend the storm so that you can do all inlays at the same time with out changing your set up. I believe that Lee already has one ready to go and another is almost done.

good luck, Jim.

I agree Jim. The Storm is the way to go. The inlay options are practically endless.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
CNC opens up a whole new level of design and precision.
It is simply another tool though, and no guarantee of anything.
It opens up a whole new challenge as well, and many are simply not up to it. These people are usually the ones that like to badmouth it.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CNC opens up a whole new level of design and precision.
It is simply another tool though, and no guarantee of anything.
It opens up a whole new challenge as well, and many are simply not up to it. These people are usually the ones that like to badmouth it.

Good assessment.

Dick

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Speed and repeatability.

That's pretty much it. Everything else is dependant on the person using the tools.

There are alot of shoody CNC work out there jus like anything else.

In the hands of the right person , any tool can be either golden or useless.

:)

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
If it's complex by CNC it's even more so by hand. ;)

I'd actually call it the other way , more simple stuff I'd rather do manual then take the effort to write program and fixture but that's just me.