CNC What are your recomendations

cmb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just started looking. CNC for total cue building. Under $10,000.
Your direction will be greatly appreciated.
CMB

sileighty_guru

5A Grade Wood Pecker
Silver Member
A CNC will do a lot but will never do it all. A lathe of some sort will always be required at the least...bandsaw is next on the list.

If you want to hit the floor running with a CNC package for cues check out Jim @ Unique. Or if you build your own you can save some change.

blackhawk357m

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like for the whole works package it's 1,300,000 yen = about $11,500 usd....but that would be GREAT to own!

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Save your money. CNC isn't necessary for building cues.
$13K is a hell of a hole to climb out of before you make your first dime.
I know, you'll make that back on your first cue, right ?
You might want to give serious thought to how many cues you'll have to make just to break even.
That means that you'll be working for free until you hit that magic number.
Guess what ? That magic number may never come.
It's your money.........or at least it was.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
didnt some one say

you dont get into cue making to make money

you do it because you can afford to

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
and if you have cnc, you dont have to build ONLY cues, theres a market for just about anything kind of part that you can think of

but best not to start with cnc if you dont know machining already, unless you have someone to guide you

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a BludWorth CNC that I never learned how to use that I will sell for $6000.
Has Computer, 30 plus inches of left right travel. Mach 3 software installed on computer. Set up to do tapering on butts and shafts and inlay work.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I knew how much I would end up spending on all the stuff I've bought and built I think I may have considered this machine from the get go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJvJ2jzYNBY

Looks like it's around 8k but impressive to my eye. Especially if it comes with g code files.

JC

JC,
Thanks, I hadn't seen that one before.
For a giggle, go to http://www.drcarom.com and select "Translate Page" on your browser. Some of the translations come out pretty funny.
:thumbup:
Gary

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Xzero seems very well suited for cuebuilding, 42"x24" bed and a stable construction. CNC has come down in price, so the old models you see still sell for $6000 and up, might not be worth the price, not sure what a fully decked 4axis raptor will set you back, but a fair amount under $10000

JC

Coos Cues
Save your money. CNC isn't necessary for building cues.
$13K is a hell of a hole to climb out of before you make your first dime.
I know, you'll make that back on your first cue, right ?
You might want to give serious thought to how many cues you'll have to make just to break even.
That means that you'll be working for free until you hit that magic number.
Guess what ? That magic number may never come.
It's your money.........or at least it was.

didnt some one say

you dont get into cue making to make money

you do it because you can afford to

I for one never intended to make a profit. It's an enjoyable hobby I can afford. My accountant told me that if I can sell a few then I can put depreciation and expensing into play and help offset some of the expenditures. Don't have to show a profit, in fact showing a loss is an added bonus to offset my real business profits.

I understand and respect the difference between myself and serious cue makers who depend on it to eat.

If I make some money in the future it will be a bonus. But it really doesn't matter. If I get tired of it I'll sell it bit by bit and recover most of my money. And if I die first who cares?

JC

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

[...]

If I make some money in the future it will be a bonus. But it really doesn't matter. If I get tired of it I'll sell it bit by bit and recover most of my money.

And if I die first who cares?

JC

Your wife.
And mine - because you're setting a bad example for the rest of us.

TW

JC

Coos Cues

Your wife.
And mine - because you're setting a bad example for the rest of us.

TW

I gave her my login here and told her if I hit the pine ahead of her she can display my "treasures" for the vultures to pick the bones clean. I have a detailed inventory so she knows what half of new is. :smile:

She asked me why I need enough wood to build 1000 cues for my "hobby". I told her that I like wood and it's money in the bank for her. The longer it sits there the more it's worth. And she can sell "loosies" to broke cue builders when I'm gone.

JC

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I gave her my login here and told her if I hit the pine ahead of her she can display my "treasures" for the vultures to pick the bones clean. I have a detailed inventory so she knows what half of new is. :smile:

She asked me why I need enough wood to build 1000 cues for my "hobby". I told her that I like wood and it's money in the bank for her. The longer it sits there the more it's worth. And she can sell "loosies" to broke cue builders when I'm gone.

JC

The pre CITES cocobolo I have here has done much better than most of the stock market...

Ebony too.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I for one never intended to make a profit. It's an enjoyable hobby I can afford. My accountant told me that if I can sell a few then I can put depreciation and expensing into play and help offset some of the expenditures. Don't have to show a profit, in fact showing a loss is an added bonus to offset my real business profits.

I understand and respect the difference between myself and serious cue makers who depend on it to eat.

If I make some money in the future it will be a bonus. But it really doesn't matter. If I get tired of it I'll sell it bit by bit and recover most of my money. And if I die first who cares?

JC

Same if I ever get to im not delusional about making a profit, it would be for my own amusement,
And if I end up making a few bucks so be it

JC

Coos Cues
Same if I ever get to im not delusional about making a profit, it would be for my own amusement,
And if I end up making a few bucks so be it

There are two groups of people building cues.

The ones like us

And the ones in the "That's all I do and if I don't sell a cue my family doesn't eat"

No day job. No part time job. No rental income. No disability, pension or ss checks. No wife or GF with a job and benefits. No anything but cues. How many of them are there like this really? These are the guys that when they talk we all should listen.

JC

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a picture of the Bludworth Machine I took some months ago for insurance purposes. I plan to get better pictures later for those inquiring.
IMG_6362.jpg