Collector Cues - Do you play with them or not

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
I use a Szamboti for my daily player. Some of my collectibles are old, but I still hit balls with them. I have a Palmer Model 20 and a Palmer Mod.K, that I take out on a regular basis, and I have one shaft chalked that I use occasionally with the cue in the picture. Irv Crane had one almost just like it and he used it to win championships for years. Of course his cue wasn't worth back then what it would be now... :)

Attachments

• Bushka 2 001.JPG
    Bushka 2 001.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 107

GT819

Cues, like cars can be restored or repaired, so by all means use them! Two of my cues that I regularly use for league play are a 60's/70's vintage Rich ebony Starefire Jet and a 3rd catalog Palmer ebony/mother of pearl Model 17. I use a Jacoby Black carbon fibre shaft on each cue and the original shafts stay home. Putting the CF shafts on the old cues is like hot-rodding a vintage car... classic looks and increased performance!

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know some Guys collect Cues and various things pool related. Some guys collect pool ball sets etc. Are you the type that will not play with your Cues that you collator are you the type that will play with. I have heard people say I would not own a Cue I could not play with. It just seems a shame to chalk a Cue that has been in a Collection for a long time. Say a cue that is 20 plus years old. What is your thoughts on this. Thanks
Since I haven't played pool since March 23rd, I would absolutely consider myself a collector at the moment. Lol!
That said, I've never owned a cue that didn't draw me to the table.
I've owned some fairly nice cues too. My buddy even used to let me go "hamb" with his Bushkas, Szams, and Black Boar. He would even crush 9 ball racks with his Szamboti. At a certain point of value I would imagine a pause might arise, but I'd still want to know how a cue felt hitting a ball.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two Titlists Conversion that are my player, the one that is VERY FANCY, I have never it a ball with I am now trying to sell.

I honeslty would be scare to play with it, so I selling it. Tikkler aka Steve Piesner had a fabulous Cue Collection, most were in Case, he never played with. Some of his Black Bore were 20K+.
"Black Bore" ... ROFL

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Palmer model M from the 2nd catalog...hardly ever play with it, simply because it doesn't hit as well as my Keith Josey. But actually, I'm not a collector. Just bought the cue back in the day and held on to it. Had no idea it became a collectable until my wife & I decided to play again after a decades long time away from the game. That brought me attention I didn't want or need, so it stays home. My luck..probably one of the most recognizable of collector cues.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Some people apprieciate functional art, but some just like to collect because they have the collecting bug, and the income to do it. Tikkler had a World Class collection, now his children have it, but few ever got hit with is what Steve told me. The guy was honest as day in long in lower 48. Steve was a clas act.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When people start viewing cues as commodities then it’s pretty much over for the little people. People will collect them and they will never be played with. It’s better to sell to someone that will enjoy it then have in a safe.