Collets

rack runner

Registered
Morning/afternoon all!
Finally got the lathe in. Now that i have, was wondering where is a good place to find some accurate collets to keep the cue/shaft/butt/collars centered? delrin probably. Can Pm me, due to the rules about advertising certain sites. Thanks in advanced!

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can make the inside slightly tapered with the use of the compound slide, or top slide as well. It is also a great way to get the collets that suit what you are going to be needing.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I made One (first one) last night from delrin, because why not?

I'm surprised after splitting it how much it did not open like I'd thought it might, I had to Chuck it back up and bore it open a little more to get th fit I was looking for.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made One (first one) last night from delrin, because why not?

I'm surprised after splitting it how much it did not open like I'd thought it might, I had to Chuck it back up and bore it open a little more to get th fit I was looking for.
What has happened is the stress of the material, it has closed after splitting. I cut the split wide enough that I can get a screw driver blade into the slot, to open up the sleeve. When making collets or split sleeves, I finish turn the od of the part and make them all the same size for a series. In my case I made them 30.0 mm od. I rough out the inside diameter. Then part it off from the bar. After making all the blanks, I carefully set them up in the chuck that they are going to be used in. In my situation, I put a short cap sleeve in the back of the chuck to clamp down on. So made that at 29.95mm diameter. This prevents the chuck from over close as you recut the inner to the diameter or chosen inner taper. I mark the sleeve to align with the one key position and jaw as the #1 reference jaw. Afterwards, that chuck will generally close to the same place every time with that set of collets. It can be 1 inch diameter or 3/4 inch diameter if for shafts etc. Just make a support piece for the back of the jaws and it will be as close as it can be for your setup. The only ones I make the inside and outside in the same set up is when I am making concentric sleeves for the 30mm bore of the bearing steady rests. I have also made some sleeves from hard maple as well.

cuetrip

Rob Hardman Cues
Silver Member
I use collets about a week after I got my lathe....................... they generally suck........... hard to get to run true and leave marks on the cue................. get some of Langley custom cues wraps.......... been using them for years................ https://www.facebook.com/LangleyCustomCues

Kim
+1 for the soft jaws from Langley. One big plus is that you don't need to tighten your chuck much at all to get a good grip that won't slip. Also makes indicating easier. A very (VERY) light tap on your high-side chuck jaw is quite effective.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I emailed him about those he never got back to me.

Making the split on my collet a little bigger seemed to help it grip much better without the damage it did the first use from having to tighten so hard.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
This is too confusing . Didn't know collets were no longer good .
If I wanted more grip, I just use a cut up tourniquet in the rear chuck .
That way I have good grip on two ends.
And I only really need to do that when tapping or drilling .
Teflon rods made into collets do not mar wood or cf.