Comment & Suggestions needed on a n 8-Ball Break Pot

Would you participate in the Break Pot Described Below?

  • Yes, It is a good idea, and adds an additional element of fun to the Tournament.

    Votes: 4 100.0%
  • I would participate if the rules were changed.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, It is not a good idea, and a waste of time.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate bar tournaments!

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    4
  • Poll closed .

ajohnson13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I implemented an 8-Ball Break pot last night in the tournament I run on Sunday nights. The first night went well, and I had to explain to 60-70% of the players what it was and how it worked. While explaining I realized that there were some variables that I did not have worked out. Below is the current format of the Break Pot. I would like comments & suggestions on how you would like the break pot to be handled if you were playing in my tourney:

-$1 per ticket, Max. 5 per player
-Participation in the Break Pot is by no means required.
-After the 2nd round of the loser's side, I have the bartender pull two tickets. If both tickets belong to the same player a new ticket is pulled, guaranteeing two players will have a chance each night.
-Either I rack both tables or have a competent player rack both tables.
-The player attempting the break can challenge the rack and ask for a re-rack. Racking your own is generally not allowed, but something can be worked out at the TD's discretion if a problem arises
-Each player who's ticket is called has one chance to break and cause the 8 ball drop on the break, or break and run the table. If a player accomplishes either task they are paid the current break pot 100%.
-If no balls are made on the break the turn is over. And if you scratch on the break the turn is over, wether the 8 falls or not.
-If both players with winning tickets break the 8, or break and run the pot is split between them. If neither player wins, the pot carries on to the next week.
-No money is added by the bar, and no money is taken from the pot by the bar or the TD.

The tournament is a single game 8-ball with a Max of 24 players. (If I have less than 12 players I usually up the A side to race to 2) We play on two 8x4 bar boxes. The first night went fairly well, we had 14 players in the tourney, and 7 decided to purchase tickets. The current pot is $24 after the first night. I think most players that didn't buy tickets weren't interested, because either they did not fully understand the idea, or they did not feel they had a chance to break the 8 or B&R if their ticket was called.

Additional ideas under consideration:

-Giving out 1 free ticket for every paid entry fee into the tourney, and allowing up to 5 additional tickets to be purchased.
-Paying a percentage of the pot or a fixed amount (say $5 or 10) from the pot if a ticket holding player breaks the 8 ball during the normal course of the tournament.

Any feedback good or bad will be greatly appreciated.
 
I think it's a good idea to hold back a certain percentage of the pot when it gets large enough. This way if someone runs out, they get 75% of the pot and 25% rolls over for the next week. Once the pot gets big, people will start coning to the tournament just for the brak pot, so you may not want to lose them by having someone bust the pot.

It seems that with two people breaking for it, it would get run out almost every week. If it were my tournament I would think of a way to let it build up. Just opinions, good luck!
 
easy-e said:
I think it's a good idea to hold back a certain percentage of the pot when it gets large enough. This way if someone runs out, they get 75% of the pot and 25% rolls over for the next week. Once the pot gets big, people will start coning to the tournament just for the brak pot, so you may not want to lose them by having someone bust the pot.

It seems that with two people breaking for it, it would get run out almost every week. If it were my tournament I would think of a way to let it build up. Just opinions, good luck!
Thanks for the reply. The caliber of players at this tournament is not very strong. I think that on average, only half of the field is capable of a B&R, and even then only a few players are capable of a B&R consistently. Therefore I think the pot will stand for some time. However I like your idea, and will condsider it.
 
I see nothing wrong with the rules as they stand, however as one poster already stated it would be nice to know that the pot already has seed money so perhaps some should be held back after someone wins.
 
Back
Top