Compound Tapper add on for atlas lathe 101.07301

duaine

D-Cues
Compound Tapper add on for atlas lathe 101.07301
I just bought a atlas lathe 101.07301-- I don't know anything about an attachment to make compound tappers on my shafts. I think they make one but don't know where to look.
I have a been making my sticks with a Cue Smith but feel I have out grown it and need to move on to a metal lathe.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
The sticks I have done so far http://www.dcues.com
 
Bludworth

I could be wrong but I think you are looking for something that doesn't exist for a metal lathe, from the factory anyway. There is a long taper attachment that cuts a straight taper and short tapers are cut with the compound. Compound tapers are often cut on a specially set up table saw to build cues.

Leonard Bludworth is back building cues and used to build cue making equipment including modifying metal lathes to build cues. He would probably be the man to talk to. I don't have his contact information but I suspect it is easily found in the cue builders sections.

My opinion, the best shafts use a compound curve to drop from the taper at the joint to the taper of the area the bridge hand rides on. Two ways to cut this shape, NC or a spring loaded taper bar that rides on a rail like the cuesmith uses. Develop a taper you like with the stiff plastic then trace it onto a piece of aluminum for your permanent taper bar.

Hu
 
Back
Top