Connecticut Pool Room

pool

Poolplayer
Silver Member
I am planning to relocate to Connecticut this summer. What are the best pool rooms in CT and why? Your input might influence where we choose to live!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I moved out of CT three years ago. In the mid 90s there were probably 50 rooms in Ct. Now maybe - maybe 5 worth your time that I can remember when I left 3 years ago. South of Hartford Ct. I think Yale Billiards in Hamden Ct is still open and U.S.1 Billiards is good- owned by Jason Shaw's father in law- a Korean guy named Joe. Pool Table Magic up by Bradley Airport north of Hartford may still be in business. I don't know of anything in Fairfield County or going west towards the Danbury area worth your time.

I honestly don't know much else left there to brag about- I am sure some current residents may chime in here. I am in SW Florida now- not much down here anymore either- I heard that Al's Place was the big action room down here 15 to 20 years ago- Sad!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooters in Southington is a popular room, with a good owner and has tournaments among the locals all the time. Several AzB posters play there regularly.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes Shooters in Southington- South of Hartford by about 20 minutes off I84- A guy named Sal used to own it - one of your best bets of all of them in CT right now- I forgot about that one!

pool

Poolplayer
Silver Member
Nice. I saw them online and it looked favorable, but I wasn't really sure how anything is doing in the COVID era since that would seem to impact pool rooms pretty hard - at least early on. I have spent time at Gold Crown in the past down in New London, but I would probably be in the Hartford area this time anyhow. Where are the stronger players between Yale, Shooters and Pool Table Magic?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just came back from US1 Billiards, excellent setup tables, and the Dynosphere balls were surprisingly good. Plus Jayson is there cooking up shaved steak for you hehe. It's been around for a bit but Jayson took it over from his wife's parents and cleaned things up.

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just came back from US1 Billiards, excellent setup tables, and the Dynosphere balls were surprisingly good. Plus Jayson is there cooking up shaved steak for you hehe. It's been around for a bit but Jayson took it over from his wife's parents and cleaned things up.
Awesome!!

pool

Poolplayer
Silver Member
Very cool to have players like Jayson Shaw around. The nearest I have played to US1 Billiards was in East Haven years ago. I had also played at a place on Berlin Tpke decades ago, but I have no idea what it was called. It was a large room with 9 ft. tables, but that's all I can remember.

According to Shooters' website Sal still owns it...but I have no idea how current any of that information is.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone! Keep them coming.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool to have players like Jayson Shaw around. The nearest I have played to US1 Billiards was in East Haven years ago. I had also played at a place on Berlin Tpke decades ago, but I have no idea what it was called. It was a large room with 9 ft. tables, but that's all I can remember.

According to Shooters' website Sal still owns it...but I have no idea how current any of that information is.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone! Keep them coming.

CT has several good rooms, second post pretty much covered things about the rooms. There is a room that was owned by Larry Liscoti, World Championship Billiards that is still around. Larry's son was involved but sold his share not too long ago. Seems most rooms are in a straight line long RT91 now that I look at the map.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only additional pool room i know that has not been mentioned is Cue and Brew in Branford.

I play out of Gold Crown Billiards in New London. A good group of guys plays there, especially on Saturday afternoons. Senior 8-ball at Shooter’s is a lot of fun two afternoons each week.