Coring From Both Ends

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I core one piece heavier butts out from both ends with no problems so far. I core .775 from the butt end and .650 from the joint end. I use a stepped core with a lot of grooves in it and expanding poly glue.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Yes. But I haven't tried to get the holes to meet perfectly enough to put one core through. My gun drill goes really straight, but usually ends up wandering very slightly by the time it travels a foot and a half. If I core a 30" piece I will core half, glue in a core, then core the other half til I hit the core I just glued in.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shouldn't be a problem, just make sure your work piece is nice and concentric and draw a reference line across of the blank, so you can position it exactly the same orientation when changing sides. I use a Pratt Burnerd KC15 chuck for coring, very accurate and very fast to change work piece.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
full cores and gun drill
Full cores equals 29 inches.
1st rule
Patience!!!
2nd rule
Dial indicator
3rd rule
2 different size gun drills
4th rule
A long ass reamer!
Adapt one!!!!!!!
5th rule
Proof your theory and work!
GOOD LUCK

Attachments

• IMG_250523_161841.jpg
    IMG_250523_161841.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_250523_162239.jpg
    IMG_250523_162239.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_250523_162215.jpg
    IMG_250523_162215.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_250523_161724.jpg
    IMG_250523_161724.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_250523_161631.jpg
    IMG_250523_161631.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 180

slim123

Thanks for the encouragement. My question was in reference to corring something from both ends, because I have a person that wants me to make him a cue with a one piece stabilized burl butt.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the encouragement. Right now I'm in a hiatus just came back from vacation. Yesterday I built the bird house too do my boring thru and keep the dust contained. I am wearing a respirator (canister type) I only had the question that boring something from both ends cuz I have a person and wants me to make him a queue I was stabilized upon your burrow one piece 29 in I just didn't know if that could ever be done but I think you can
Understood.
Dave's post sounds like he can help you.

slim123

Shouldn't be a problem, just make sure your work piece is nice and concentric and draw a reference line across of the blank, so you can position it exactly the same orientation when changing sides. I use a Pratt Burnerd KC15 chuck for coring, very accurate and very fast to change work piece.
Thanks great info

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
that chuck is great....if one has the 1K to invest in it and the accessories plus the cost of a lathe that it will fit. I do my coring of the long pieces....20" to 29" on my cuesmith deluxe......but have spent some $$ and time to get it right. Gundrills are the most $$ but also spend time to have the steady rests to support the drill, with the proper gundrill guides dust collection, etc.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I have only done it one time and it worked pretty good. Had a 30 inch piece of maple that really needed to be stabilized due to light weight. Put a PH .775" core 15 inches into the butt with west systems and as I worked the core in the hole the maple absorbed about 2 ounces of epoxy. After it cured I repeated from the joint end with a .650" PH core drilling right into the larger core about an inch. Again the maple absorbed almost 2 ounces of epoxy. When I turned it down it wasn't light and soft anymore and came out a nice looking cue. The guy had a shaft he wanted a butt matched with ring wise and had the maple. I made no guarantees but was glad I did the project it was fun and educational.

Attachments

• Maple_(1).jpg
    Maple_(1).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Maple_(3).jpg
    Maple_(3).jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Maple_(6).jpg
    Maple_(6).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 113

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I core one piece heavier butts out from both ends with no problems so far. I core .775 from the butt end and .650 from the joint end. I use a stepped core with a lot of grooves in it and expanding poly glue.
Very interesting.
If I can ask
Actual stepped, tapered or just 2 seperate cores cut straight?

slim123

I have only done it one time and it worked pretty good. Had a 30 inch piece of maple that really needed to be stabilized due to light weight. Put a PH .775" core 15 inches into the butt with west systems and as I worked the core in the hole the maple absorbed about 2 ounces of epoxy. After it cured I repeated from the joint end with a .650" PH core drilling right into the larger core about an inch. Again the maple absorbed almost 2 ounces of epoxy. When I turned it down it wasn't light and soft anymore and came out a nice looking cue. The guy had a shaft he wanted a butt matched with ring wise and had the maple. I made no guarantees but was glad I did the project it was fun and educational.
How long are your gun drills
How else would you do it?
Most only core the forearm and handle separtely 12-14 inches, it work out fairly well, just once in awhile you get someone that wants some excotic stabilzed wood, all in one piece