Cost of a pool table

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much does a decent table cost? Installation included, hopefully. I have a Brunswick Windsor, I think it is 8.5 ft (EDIT; wrong, it must be an 8 ft because it's 44 inches across on short side) and the pockets are not punishing; probably a somewhat standard size/type sold in this area about 1974. It's ok but needs new felt. I dunno what I would get different regarding length or quality, I just am interested in something equally good or better. Would consider giving my table to my brother if he wanted it. For felt, I would like good quality. As for length, mine is fine or whatever consensus is on that. Pocket tightness, I'm open on that. From what I have to maybe slightly more demanding but unsure on that, want it to be fun and I'm no expert. I did a drill yesterday that scored me as a B- where the scoring system was ABCD and each letter also had a plus and a minus. I would think C+ to B- is fair... intermediate, maybe slightly above? I hope to improve at age 67! I certainly can improve a notch or two.

Is there anything a modern table would provide that my table does not?

The other option is to just get mine reworked but I wish my brother had a table, too, he lives in the sticks and is a hermit and could use a table, he enjoys pool, lol. I think he has room. If nothing else, a bar table size.

Last edited:

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My advice is to get you a good used Gold Crown 9ft. if you really want to improve and have fun. The pockets will be a little tighter than the table you have now. An 8 ft. with big pockets is not really a table to measure your abilities with. I would count on spending 3,000.00 for a good used GC moved and setup with new Simonis. Pretty cheap considering the years of enjoyment it can bring, and it will more than likely still have much of that value when, or if, you decide to let it go.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much does a decent table cost? Installation included, hopefully. I have a Brunswick Windsor, I think it is 8.5 ft and the pockets are not punishing; probably a somewhat standard size/type sold in this area about 1974. It's ok but needs new felt. I dunno what I would get different regarding length or quality, I just am interested in something equally good or better. Would consider giving my table to my brother if he wanted it. For felt, I would like good quality. As for length, my 8.5 ft is fine or whatever consensus is on that. Pocket tightness, I'm open on that. From what I have to maybe slightly more demanding but unsure on that, want it to be fun and I'm no expert. I did a drill yesterday that scored me as a B- where the scoring system was ABCD and each letter also had a plus and a minus. I would think C+ to B- is fair... intermediate, maybe slightly above? I hope to improve at age 67! I certainly can improve a notch or two.

The other option is to just get mine reworked but I wish my brother had a table, too, he lives in the sticks and is a hermit and could use a table, he enjoys pool, lol. I think he has room. If nothing else, a bar table size.
'Decent' is a pretty vague term. I agree with finding a good used Gold Crown or Diamond. Depending on condition GC's will run anywhere from $800 to $3,000. Figure about a grand for install and cloth. Check with trentfromtoledo. He's in the biz and usually has a line on good used stuff.

Geosnookery

Depends where you live. In my city you can buy a top notch used table, moved and reclothed.. all for about $1500. Brand irrelevent as a couple of tables posted every day and nobody wants them. One could offer ‘$0’ and get a quality table if willing to be patient and move it.

My advice on home tables. Likely 95% of people only ever buy one. They only have room for one and upgrading is too much of a chore. So, get a table that will offer a challenge. The largest possible and tightest pockets within reason. You will get good on your own table...too good.

I have 9’ Dufferin Pool table with 4.6 inch pockets. I also have a 12 foot snooker table with 3.5 inch pockets. I play as much pool on the snooker table as
I do on the pool table...just more of a fun challenge. However, when I get in a pool hall, the pool table isn’t ‘easy’ as I don’t know the cloth, rails, etc. like my own table.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much does a decent table cost? Installation included, hopefully. I have a Brunswick Windsor, I think it is 8.5 ft (EDIT; wrong, it must be an 8 ft because it's 44 inches across on short side) and the pockets are not punishing; probably a somewhat standard size/type sold in this area about 1974. It's ok but needs new felt. I dunno what I would get different regarding length or quality, I just am interested in something equally good or better. Would consider giving my table to my brother if he wanted it. For felt, I would like good quality. As for length, mine is fine or whatever consensus is on that. Pocket tightness, I'm open on that. From what I have to maybe slightly more demanding but unsure on that, want it to be fun and I'm no expert. I did a drill yesterday that scored me as a B- where the scoring system was ABCD and each letter also had a plus and a minus. I would think C+ to B- is fair... intermediate, maybe slightly above? I hope to improve at age 67! I certainly can improve a notch or two.

Most regulars on here, including myself, are a bit snobbish when it comes to a quality pool table needing to be a Diamond or a Gold Crown. If you’ve played a good amount of your pool on a quality commercial table, you’re likely never going to be happy with the way a home furniture style table or a lesser quality commercial table plays.

For those that have mainly played on home tables or who don’t play that much, the difference might not be that big of a deal and not worth the $ price difference.

That said, these days with many pool rooms closing, if you’re willing to put in the time and effort, you can likely find a high-quality used commercial table at a reasonable $ price, but expect to pay as much or more than you spend on the table in getting a professional installer to move it, make any necessary repairs, new cloth, assembly, and good quality accessories.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
lol, they sent my buddy 3 side pockets and 3 corner pockets, then mailed him another side pocket
the sent him the ball polisher light and chairs that got damaged in transit

shane told us about how they installed one ladies ball return backwards and the table was eating balls! LMAO

nice table once shane sets it up

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My advice is to get you a good used Gold Crown 9ft. if you really want to improve and have fun. The pockets will be a little tighter than the table you have now. An 8 ft. with big pockets is not really a table to measure your abilities with. I would count on spending 3,000.00 for a good used GC moved and setup with new Simonis. Pretty cheap considering the years of enjoyment it can bring, and it will more than likely still have much of that value when, or if, you decide to let it go.
I agree with this.
But I say between 3k and 4K once the table is broken down, picked up, delivered, reassembled,
and tweaked properly by a good mechanic for a GC 9 footer.
That is a bargain when you consider it's availability and the enjoyment you will get from it for as many years as you like.
To me that's priceless especially now, since I have not played in a poolroom since early March.

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know anything about Olhausen tables, I see those for sale used.

What would a Diamond or Gold Crown table provide vs. my table?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know anything about Olhausen tables, I see those for sale used.

What would a Diamond or Gold Crown table provide vs. my table?
Have you ever played on a good commercial table? They're just more solid and have a playing quality you can't describe on paper or here. If you like what you have keep using it. Olhausen makes good stuff but not on the level of a GC or a Diamond.

TrevorB

Registered
I paid $1000 for my Gold Crown (this year). I paid a mechanic $175 to tear it down. I moved the table to my home (250 miles away). The cost of install with Simonis 860HR was $700, plus I added new drop pockets for another $80. So basically $2k all in plus some time and gas money. I’d say a $2-3k budget sounds fair.

20f330c681260b834deddfca6b00fdc4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does Gold Crown get so much mention, what does it offer vs. Diamond?

I doubt I have ever played on a Diamond. I may have played on Gold Crown. That is, IF those were installed in bars or pool halls in the 60s - 80s. The Gold Crown looks retro, like it would have been in bars/halls in that time period.

I don't understand the difference in higher end versus mid range. I mean, level is level. And cloth is cloth. I mean, same cloth. If you have a Gold Crown or a Diamond over here and my Brunswick Windsor over there and both have the same higher end cloth and both are dead level, what would I notice? Not being smart alec, just trying to understand since the only thing you touch when you shoot is the cloth and I am even willing to buy new but I'd rather buy used if I could find one because I figure a good table used is close to same quality as new. I guess maybe the higher end has better bumpers or slate? Or do they just stay level longer or not tear up as quickly? Although, my table is solid, it has been abused and it's 46 years old and has had absolutely no maintenance for that time except wipe it off now and then. Three growing boys way back when and sat on I don't know how many times, banged into, used as a ping pong table base for a lot of years. Used as a catch all for 'stuff' in that room much of its life, lol.

Actually, my table does have issues but a workover could fix it... leveling and some bumper work, might have to replaced... and new cloth. I shoot on it now and it's fine except for a small amount of drift for slow rolls. I need to try to level again, I did try once.

BTW, I do understand quality stuff... I buy quality things a lot on certain purchases. I just don't know what it is for Diamond and Gold Crown vs. what i own. Heck, I bought a $175 hatchet, and it's certainly quality!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For your particular situation.... If the rails on your current table seem to be OK (no funny spots in the rubber), I think you should just get the cloth replaced and start your path to improvement. If that works out for you and you decide you want to upgrade, keep your eye out for a used Diamond or GC.

I think part of getting better is playing in tournaments. If all the tournaments in your area are on 7-foot tables, I don't think it would make sense to get a 9-foot.

TrevorB

Registered

I doubt I have ever played on a Diamond. I may have played on Gold Crown. That is, IF those were installed in bars or pool halls in the 60s - 80s. The Gold Crown looks retro, like it would have been in bars/halls in that time period.

I don't understand the difference in higher end versus mid range. I mean, level is level. And cloth is cloth. I mean, same cloth. If you have a Gold Crown or a Diamond over here and my Brunswick Windsor over there and both have the same higher end cloth and both are dead level, what would I notice? Not being smart alec, just trying to understand since the only thing you touch when you shoot is the cloth and I am even willing to buy new but I'd rather buy used if I could find one because I figure a good table used is close to same quality as new. I guess maybe the higher end has better bumpers or slate? Or do they just stay level longer or not tear up as quickly? Although, my table is solid, it has been abused and it's 46 years old and has had absolutely no maintenance for that time except wipe it off now and then. Three growing boys way back when and sat on I don't know how many times, banged into, used as a ping pong table base for a lot of years. Used as a catch all for 'stuff' in that room much of its life, lol.

Actually, my table does have issues but a workover could fix it... leveling and some bumper work, might have to replaced... and new cloth. I shoot on it now and it's fine except for a small amount of drift for slow rolls. I need to try to level again, I did try once.

BTW, I do understand quality stuff... I buy quality things a lot on certain purchases. I just don't know what it is for Diamond and Gold Crown vs. what i own. Heck, I bought a $175 hatchet, and it's certainly quality!
I'm a novice here, but I'll share my thoughts.

Brunswick Gold Crown was THE table to have for decades. It's the same table I played on in pool halls 30 plus years ago, so when I decided to buy a table, that seemed the logical direction for me (after a consult with a reputable mechanic). I have never played on a Diamond, to my knowledge, but it seems they have become the new gold standard. Gold Crowns were used for tournament play for many years, now that honor seems to be mainly Diamond.

You mentioned your table was built in 1974, I am not familiar with the model. But, I'm sure it was built much better than modern furniture style tables. Perhaps fixing yours may be the best route.

I believe a used Gold Crown (even 40-50 plus years old), is a fantastic option for a home table. It's built rock solid and when set up correctly should play as well as any table on the market. My local pool hall still has a couple. Perhaps you could find one close to you to play on and make your own comparison.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One other thing.... If you do decide to upgrade, you should consider getting in significant time on the sort of table you are considering. There are differences between brands that are significant to some players.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The link below is a pretty good spec sheet on the differences between your Windsor vs. a GC from the same time period. The big thing that jumps out is the overall structure and slate thickness. The GC is probably double the weight, which in pool is a big part of what makes a good playing table. You couple the weight with much better cushions and it makes for playability that you just can't get from the typical home rec table. Nothing against your Windsor, but it's just not in the same league with the GC.

Last edited:

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the comments. BTW, to me, the Diamond is a really attractive table. Gorgeous! The GC doesn't catch my eye as being 'attractive' like the Diamond does but function is key. I dunno if I could find either brand used and it appears that there is a long delay for buying a new Diamond. If I had to guess at this point, I will probably get my table reworked. However, the ball jumps when it hits my bumpers at any speed, they will need work or replacing. I sure I hope I can find a good tech to do that and recover it, I had trouble finding a good tech two years ago when I tried. I did find one guy a good ways away in Texas and I might need to look him up, he did seem to have good knowledge on it.

june-bug

Registered
I bought a new 7' Diamond pro am at the end of 2018. Table was $5,125.00 +250.00 set up, +$800.00 shipping. Grand total $6,175.00. Something to think about. I like my table but could have probably got into a very nice used gold crown for half the price.

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The link below is a pretty good spec sheet on the differences between your Windsor vs. a GC from the same time period. The big thing that jumps out is the overall structure and slate thickness. The GC is probably double the weight, which in pool is a big part of what makes a good playing table. You couple the weight with much better cushions and it makes for playability that you just can't get from the typical home rec table. Nothing against your Windsor, but it's just not in the same league with the GC.

Wow, that is cool that you have that brochure! I see that my Windsor sold for $495. I didn't see price on Gold Crown. I also see that Windsor has 3-piece slate of 3/4 inch. I can hardly read the fine print and I downloaded the image and blew it up... does it say the Gold Crown has 2-piece slate, 1 inch or 3-piece, can't read it well.