Countries on the pool bucket list?

Flakeandrun

Talling have nice hill hill club.
They put up Eurotour once per year. A lot of effort when they make something happen there.
Thanks for sharing! There's a lot of things in Tallinn that make me want to stop there. Helps that my brother-in-law has some great recommendations of things to do, one of my good friends I made living here is also from there, so would is great to know there is some good places to play. Moving it up my list.

the CNY holiday for me is during these dates! If only I knew sooner I could have braved some snow and had a go. As for now, I am set to go to Japan, TW and Bangkok over the CNY.

It's close to Finland too if you ever fancy a game ;) (Helsinki is also a common stop from where I am if I am heading home).

Looking for things to do between 29/6 - 21/7 of the year 2024, this is my 'major' booked holiday period... Asia related things can be over weekends or during some other holiday slots (or sick days depending on how I feel lol).

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but I'm a big scaredy when it comes to being potentially robbed forcefully, by someone who is probably armed... It's why I put HCMC in the bin
HCMC is way safer than Hanoi, has more than 400 pool halls and will soon be the epicentre of pool in Asia, if not the world. Vietnamese politics dictates that Hanoi gets the big events and that will take a bit longer to change but it will change. This is not a slight on Hanoi, Hanoi is also a great place - pool and otherwise.

Flakeandrun

HCMC is way safer than Hanoi, has more than 400 pool halls and will soon be the epicentre of pool in Asia, if not the world. Vietnamese politics dictates that Hanoi gets the big events and that will take a bit longer to change but it will change. This is not a slight on Hanoi, Hanoi is also a great place - pool and otherwise.
Willing to try Hanoi, to be honest will do HCMC again at some point, just probably not solo. Don’t really enjoy being held up by two guys with knives and robbed… then knowing that going to the police will probably just cost me more money… experience put me off a little

Flakeandrun

We've got 11 Diamond Pro-Am and 7 Rasson Ox tables now in London (UK). ;)

London Snooker - For the Diamonds
Spots & Stripes - For the Rassons
Thanks for sharing, I will look into both, as my uncle lives in London and I could possibly stay with him. Otherwise I live 5 or so hours away when I do end up getting back to nonsense island. Not the biggest fan of London either, but I can over look that haha

carl.j

Thanks for sharing, I will look into both, as my uncle lives in London and I could possibly stay with him. Otherwise I live 5 or so hours away when I do end up getting back to nonsense island. Not the biggest fan of London either, but I can over look that haha
I've got love/hate relationship with London most days - and I'm a born and bred Londoner!

The scene has also gotten much better since Matchroom have picked up 9-Ball - a lot more players now so if you ever pass through, no doubt you'll find yourself a game!

Flakeandrun

I've got love/hate relationship with London most days - and I'm a born and bred Londoner!

The scene has also gotten much better since Matchroom have picked up 9-Ball - a lot more players now so if you ever pass through, no doubt you'll find yourself a game!
London is a bit miserable, scary and confusing for us country bumpkin hobbit types :ROFLMAO: glad to hear fully fledged Londoners sometimes share the same sentiments haha
Good to hear about the increased interest. I tried badgering one of the local snooker clubs around my way to get an American table when I was back over Christmas, and the guy was having none of it. Hope it spreads around the UK a bit more.
Hope your business goes strong, and paves the way for a few others to take a punt on the great game in other cities/areas :)

L.S. Dennis

Just my $.02 here but i would NEVER plan a trip that revolved around whatever poolhalls were around. I might go in one on vacation but it wouldn't be a 'destination point'. There is one exception, maybe, and that's the old-school room in Oregon full of old anniversaries. Problem there is i have zero desire to go to Oregon.
I agree, going on a vacation with the 'sole' intention of visiting a particular pool hall is absurd. A vacation is supposed to be a vacation something we Americans take far few of. Like 'zar' says, if there happens to be one in your chosen vacation destination It would be okay to pop your head in but it certainly shouldn't be the sole purpose of your trip!

Flakeandrun

I agree, going on a vacation with the 'sole' intention of visiting a particular pool hall is absurd. A vacation is supposed to be a vacation something we Americans take far few of. Like 'zar' says, if there happens to be one in your chosen vacation destination It would be okay to pop your head in but it certainly shouldn't be the sole purpose of your trip!
It isn't the sole purpose, but it is certainly something on my agenda. It's a good way to meet new people. I'm lucky enough to already live 8,000km from my home, and have been to lots of great destinations that I would never have dreamed of growing up. I'll go to many more I hope. But I am interested in finding some great places to play along the way.

So, most of my options noted above have two or three factors besides pool that make them desirable, and I'd like to marry up the best selections and plan my calendar year (and the next to). I just got out of mentally consuming relationship, and am enjoying the fact that I can plan my life a little bit better.

Thanks for your thoughts though, any suggestions or additions welcomed.

L.S. Dennis

It isn't the sole purpose, but it is certainly something on my agenda. It's a good way to meet new people. I'm lucky enough to already live 8,000km from my home, and have been to lots of great destinations that I would never have dreamed of growing up. I'll go to many more I hope. But I am interested in finding some great places to play along the way.

So, most of my options noted above have two or three factors besides pool that make them desirable, and I'd like to marry up the best selections and plan my calendar year (and the next to). I just got out of mentally consuming relationship, and am enjoying the fact that I can plan my life a little bit better.

Thanks for your thoughts though, any suggestions or additions welcomed.
I can understand your point, back in the 90's I found a great pool room in Rome Italy. But anyone visiting Rome would a lot more to see there other than a billiard club as it was called if my memory serves me correctly.

Flakeandrun

I can understand your point, back in the 90's I found a great pool room in Rome Italy. But anyone visiting Rome would a lot more to see there other than a billiard club as it was called if my memory serves me correctly.
A lot more to see, eat and do for sure! As there will be in most places I imagine. Wish my Italian friends had plans to go home in the coming year so I could go and stuff my face full of delicious food. Alas, they are not going anywhere soon. Many of the places I suggested above are either en route to somewhere else, or have friends there.

Justaneng

Registered
I wouldn’t consider it a consideration - but I’m in Antwerp for a few weeks so yesterday I swung by a place called “Coast to Coast Billiards and Snooker” which is close to my hotel.

Six 8’ pool tables and three 12’ snooker tables. One drink minimum if you’re taking up a table.

Quality of play from what I saw was quite low. I saw no one with their own equipment and even though they were playing 8 ball I very rarely heard the audible crack of a decent break.

I took the opportunity to shoot around on a snooker table for the first time in my life - you just don’t come across them in the U.S. (although I’ve shot on Chinese 8-ball tables so I’ve done the rounded off pocket thing).

Shortly after arriving a couple of older guys took up the snooker table next to me. I was excited a bit to get a chance to see what amateur snooker looked like. Turns out I shot better than they did.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Singapore! No idea what the pool scene is like but it’s an extraordinary country. They care about their people in so many healthy ways and talk about safe. You screw up there and you will learn quickly you’re not in America anymore. English is the main language as well.

Pierre Shakes

Registered
Victoria, BC, Canada is a beautiful 2-hour ferry ride from Vancouver. Peacock Billiards is a colourful, culturally rich poolhall downtown. The one thousand square feet of murals - including 8’x10’ detailed reproductions of vanGogh & Gauguin - surround 21 different styes of luxury 9’ tables and 1 snooker with 13 different colours of cloth (very cheerful).

The restaurant is an installation of the text of James Joyce painted by my Finnegans Wake fanatic friend, Robert Amos. Ulyssess is my bag.

Not much action, my customers are overwhelmingly people having fun - so many are women - who have never imagined a four-ball run. Two tournaments a week draw 15-20 decent players.

My virtual tour can be found here:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/BGfaMcTKUY4xX6qr7

Yours, David Peacock

Flakeandrun

I wouldn’t consider it a consideration - but I’m in Antwerp for a few weeks so yesterday I swung by a place called “Coast to Coast Billiards and Snooker” which is close to my hotel.

Six 8’ pool tables and three 12’ snooker tables. One drink minimum if you’re taking up a table.

Quality of play from what I saw was quite low. I saw no one with their own equipment and even though they were playing 8 ball I very rarely heard the audible crack of a decent break.

I took the opportunity to shoot around on a snooker table for the first time in my life - you just don’t come across them in the U.S. (although I’ve shot on Chinese 8-ball tables so I’ve done the rounded off pocket thing).

Shortly after arriving a couple of older guys took up the snooker table next to me. I was excited a bit to get a chance to see what amateur snooker looked like. Turns out I shot better than they did.
Tbf, prior to Brecel having a decent year, I was unaware snooker was even a thing in Belgium. Sounds like a decent enough space. Certainly bigger than anything local to me in my hometown.