Crack the Rack as Hard as You Can

When the soft break

is working, it can be deadly per Ronnie Alcano in the WPC final match, but more times than not, it will leave not a very good shot on the 1 ball or a cluster that must be dealt with.

I always smackem hard - Last night on a $10 challenge table, everything came together sweet on a break and I made 5 balls which doesn't happen very often at all. Didn't have a shot on the 3 and had to roll out.
 
Snapshot9 said:
is working, it can be deadly per Ronnie Alcano in the WPC final match, but more times than not, it will leave not a very good shot on the 1 ball or a cluster that must be dealt with.

I always smackem hard - Last night on a $10 challenge table, everything came together sweet on a break and I made 5 balls which doesn't happen very often at all. Didn't have a shot on the 3 and had to roll out.

How about when Alex Pagulayan made 6 balls on the break in 9-ball against Santos? Santos won! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKXykcdxJzM

JAM
 
JAM said:
Aren't they playing 10-ball on this tour?

JAM

:o LOL. I guess that would explain why no one else said to switch to 10-ball. :o

Actually, I couldn't tell from reading the brief article on AZ. If it is 10-ball though, is there any need for a "hard break" rule? Other than Corey safety breaking in that one event, have any players been breaking soft in 10-ball?
 
JAM said:
This weekend, the Seminole Tour officials instituted a new rule for the Gainesville stop.

A player MUST break the balls with all their might, or else it could be a foul. :yes:

The rule was designed to prevent use of the ever-so-popular soft break, which caused a few whispers at the recent World Pool Championship this year, so much so that those rules have been changed for future WPCs.

The player has to break the rack "as hard as he/she can," according to the Seminole Tour rule.

If an opponent feels that the breaking player did not him 'em with all their might, then they are given an opportunity to consult with a tour official. :tongue:

Personally, I don't see how anyone can adjudicate this new rule effectively without a speed gun. I can envision that it could be one player's word against the other, in some scenarios. ;)

Fifty-eight players showed up this weekend for the $8,500-added tournament, and there is an all-star cast in attendance, to include Ronnie Wiseman, Tony Crosby, Sparky Ferrell, Tommy Kennedy, Charlie Williams, Hennessee from Tennessee, Stevie Moore, Justin Hall, Donnie Milles, Tim Hall, and the break-meister himself, Mr. Corey Duel. :thumbup:

It will be interesting to see how this new rule plays out. The brackets will be updated at various times throughout this weekend on AzBilliards Main Page: http://www.azbilliards.com

JAM

actually i just talked with the td and this is not correct...... you just cant soft break...just to clarilfy

this is james roberts posting
 
Last edited:
It is sooo sad that pool tournaments have nit pick about the break...IF golfers dont tee the ball 300 yards off the tee, then should they automatically take a two stroke penalty? Should Corey Deuel's 2001 US 9-ball open title be taken away from him because he used his head and figured out a successful break (soft) that allowed him to make balls, run racks and win....

Can you see why nobody wants to get involved with pool.
 
Personally, I think anyone that complains about a soft break is a whiner and needs to STFU and get a life. Someone stated that the APA rules now say that at least 4 balls must hit a cushion. As far as I know, in 9-ball, that has always been the rule. I don't give a rats ass how hard or soft someone breaks. If it helps them run out then good for them. I don't use the soft break but I don't hammer them either. I'd be well pissed if some referee called a foul on me for not putting my entire weight behind my break. Sorry, the break shot is just as important, even more important actually, than any other shot on the table. I want to be able to control my break.
MULLY
 
there is a big difference in soft breaking 9 ball vs 10 ball ...in 10 ball you are just trying to tie up balls and out move your opponent which leads to 3 to 4 hour races to 7.....
which is not good for spectators or patrons trying to rent a table on a saturday night when they cant because the tourney is goin on
 
jamesroberts said:
there is a big difference in soft breaking 9 ball vs 10 ball ...in 10 ball you are just trying to tie up balls and out move your opponent which leads to 3 to 4 hour races to 7.....
which is not good for spectators or patrons trying to rent a table on a saturday night when they cant because the tourney is goin on
This is a valid point, there is a very big difference in the two! 10ball you are almost breaking to play safe, when you soft break!
Jeremy
 
JAM said:
Twas moi! :wave2:



I think 20 MPH would be too high. Many players don't break that hard.

Maybe 15 MPH or higher could be a starting point! :ok:

JAM

20 MPH was probably too high, I was just providing an example though. I really have no idea how fast the pros normally break so somebody else would have to decide the right speed.

Anyway, the point was, there needs to be a clear definition of what is legal and what is not. Otherwise, you are going to create arguments between the competitors.
 
s0lidz said:
20 MPH was probably too high, I was just providing an example though. I really have no idea how fast the pros normally break so somebody else would have to decide the right speed.

Anyway, the point was, there needs to be a clear definition of what is legal and what is not. Otherwise, you are going to create arguments between the competitors.


At the BCA in Charlotte, they radar gunned the final 4 i believe. At any rate, Ga young did 21's on all her attempts, Jasmin did 23's on all her attempts. Archer's was highest with a 24, a mere 1 MPH over Jasmin.

If those numbers are correct, meaning the radar gun was calibrated right etc, I may come in around 13 on my breaks and Im not the worst but damn close.

SO for whatever that is worth and i know-not much but Im real bored.
 
PKM said:
Maybe people will start perfecting how to fake the hard break. Make a dramatic jump in the air and grunt while hitting it softly, then complain about your lack of strength.
Corey could pull that off...:thumbup:
 
this new rule is crap. if they dont like the game then stop playing nine ball, quit changing the rules.


Id love to see more tours go to 8 ball. we'd get more spectators and thus more revenue. 8 ball would solve the soft break problem too.
 
skor said:
2003 US open, the first player to sink the 9 on the break and collect the 500 was Rodolfo Luat (if my memory serves me right)

Bustamante pocketed the 9 on the break against Efren in the 2003 U.S. Open.
 
JAM said:
This weekend, the Seminole Tour officials instituted a new rule for the Gainesville stop.

A player MUST break the balls with all their might, or else it could be a foul. :yes:

The rule was designed to prevent use of the ever-so-popular soft break, which caused a few whispers at the recent World Pool Championship this year, so much so that those rules have been changed for future WPCs.

The player has to break the rack "as hard as he/she can," according to the Seminole Tour rule.

If an opponent feels that the breaking player did not him 'em with all their might, then they are given an opportunity to consult with a tour official. :tongue:

Personally, I don't see how anyone can adjudicate this new rule effectively without a speed gun. I can envision that it could be one player's word against the other, in some scenarios. ;)

Fifty-eight players showed up this weekend for the $8,500-added tournament, and there is an all-star cast in attendance, to include Ronnie Wiseman, Tony Crosby, Sparky Ferrell, Tommy Kennedy, Charlie Williams, Hennessee from Tennessee, Stevie Moore, Justin Hall, Donnie Milles, Tim Hall, and the break-meister himself, Mr. Corey Duel. :thumbup:

It will be interesting to see how this new rule plays out. The brackets will be updated at various times throughout this weekend on AzBilliards Main Page: http://www.azbilliards.com

JAM


That is far and away the WORST rule I have ever heard of..

how do you enforce it?? if I take a little off my break to adapt to the table it is a FOUL???? get real

where you hit the rack is far more important than how hard you hit the rack... period..


this rule is simply the last dying gasp of professional 9-ball

and that is a good thing..

the best players playing the easiest games.. its not good for the players and its not good for pool.

it's time to move on...
 
softshot said:
That is far and away the WORST rule I have ever heard of..

how do you enforce it?? if I take a little off my break to adapt to the table it is a FOUL???? get real

where you hit the rack is far more important than how hard you hit the rack... period..


this rule is simply the last dying gasp of professional 9-ball

and that is a good thing..

the best players playing the easiest games.. its not good for the players and its not good for pool.

it's time to move on...

just so you know this rule is not actually a rule and its 10 ball not 9 ball
 
jamesroberts said:
just so you know this rule is not actually a rule and its 10 ball not 9 ball

I am not familiar with the 10 ball soft break.. could you please explain it to me?
 
softshot said:
I am not familiar with the 10 ball soft break.. could you please explain it to me?
break from the box and you cut the 1 pretty thin so it goes towards the side pocket and the cue ball hits the side rail and comes below the stack, the balls stay clustered almost like a one pocket break
 
jamesroberts said:
break from the box and you cut the 1 pretty thin so it goes towards the side pocket and the cue ball hits the side rail and comes below the stack, the balls stay clustered almost like a one pocket break

thank you I'll try it tomorrow night..

second question.. why is this so undesirable as to create a rule banning it?

the safe break has served 14:1 for over 100 years

you create a new game (raise your hand if you played 10 ball... 10 years ago) players adapt. and strategy adapts.. and if it is a GOOD game this adaptation actually adds to the game..

big smashing splatter breaks are nothing but a way to impress children... Mosconi and Crane and the guys that taught them learned long ago you play to win.

break however you want as long as you believe it will help your chances to win...
 
Back
Top