Cross slide question/Taig/Hightower Mid size

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After removing the cross slide for cleaning and oil, I was excited to pop a cutting bit on a tool post to remove an old tip and face the ferrule for a new tip. I moved the carriage into position and moved the cross slide in position to begin cutting away the old tip. As I turned the handle to move the cross slide and cutting bit, the cross slide handle turned and everything was peachy until the cutting blade met with a very slight resistance from the tip that was supposed to be cut away. The handle kept turning but the cross slide stopped and would not continue across the old tip. Anyone have a solution?

Attachments

• shovel handle tip 1.jpg
    shovel handle tip 1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 438
  • faced off ferrule and tool post position.jpg
    faced off ferrule and tool post position.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like you have over travelled the cross slide on the assembly.
Just change the position of the tool rest so that the cross slide is all the way back to the
home position. The tool wants to be a little clear of the work piece, at the home position.
Neil

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil, the tool post was located approximately 1 1/2 inches from the handle. The picture does not depict the location of the tool post. Sorry for the confusion. Any suggestions?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
The picture shows that the cross slide is too far forward. Take your left hand and push the cross slider towards you and at the same time turn the handle counter clockwise. It should then engage and the cross slide should come back towards you as you turn the handle. When you get about 3/4 of the way back, stop and then install the toolpost as normal.
You shouldn't see the threaded rod exposed like in your picture.
Hope this helps.
Dave

JBCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to sound harsh. But if you can't figure out a very simple problem with your lathe how do you work on cues? Anyways pull your cross slide back and threaded into the lead screw. Then move your tool post forward. Problem solved.

Last edited:

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to sound harsh. But if you can't figure out a very simple problem with your lathe how do you work on cues? Anyways pull your cross slide back and threaded into the lead screw. Then move your tool post forward. Problem solved.

I selected the wrong photo and have now corrected it. As for you sounding "harsh"...well just take a gander at the revised photo of the shaft I just reconditioned and installed a new tip!:thumbup:
The second photo shows the actual position of my tool post and carriage slide when I experienced the problem.

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The picture shows that the cross slide is too far forward. Take your left hand and push the cross slider towards you and at the same time turn the handle counter clockwise. It should then engage and the cross slide should come back towards you as you turn the handle. When you get about 3/4 of the way back, stop and then install the toolpost as normal.
You shouldn't see the threaded rod exposed like in your picture.
Hope this helps.
Dave

I selected the wrong photo and have now corrected it. As for you sounding "harsh"...well just take a gander at the revised photo of the shaft I just reconditioned and installed a new tip!
The second photo shows the actual position of my tool post and carriage slide when I experienced the problem.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After re reading your post, is the handle correctly engaged to the lead screw? ie are they tight and effectively 1 piece?
Neil

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I selected the wrong photo and have now corrected it. As for you sounding "harsh"...well just take a gander at the revised photo of the shaft I just reconditioned and installed a new tip!

First, if your going to quote me, then address MY response, not the people after me. Secondly, you want to be a jerk and change the picture to what is obviously a joke,,...figure your problem out yourself. I and others tried to help based on what you provided, then you do this? We have better things to do than deal with someone of your caliber. Enjoy your weekend sir...
Dave

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, if your going to quote me, then address MY response, not the people after me. Secondly, you want to be a jerk and change the picture to what is obviously a joke,,...figure your problem out yourself. I and others tried to help based on what you provided, then you do this? We have better things to do than deal with someone of your caliber. Enjoy your weekend sir...
Dave

Dave, I apologize for the posting error.

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After re reading your post, is the handle correctly engaged to the lead screw? ie are they tight and effectively 1 piece?
Neil

Neil,
When I crank the handle without the resistance of trying to cut off a tip or face a ferrule, the cross slide travels as expected in both directions. So it appears the lead screw is engaged to the handle. But as soon as I try cutting off a tip or facing a ferrule, the slide stops halfway between the initial contact point on the tip or ferrule and the center of the tip or ferrule even though I'm still cranking the handle. The handle and lead screw aren't what I'd describe "tight". The connection does seem to be a little sloppy and I'm not sure of the steps to correct it.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most likely the screw is stripped or the internal brass nut is stripped. It can't keep spinning like that without something being stripped or broken.

Last edited:

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I think you should look at your screw. Since it does turn until half way on a tip or ferrule it sounds like the last few threads are gone. I say this because if it was the brass nut would it allow any resistance?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Take your toolpost off the slide and dial the the slide out enough to stick the tool post down in between the slide and the dial assembly so it is jammed in there when you dial the slide backwards toward you. Now try to dial the slide backwards and see if it slips. If it does you at minimum need an internal brass nut and at most the dial assembly and nut.

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take your toolpost off the slide and dial the the slide out enough to stick the tool post down in between the slide and the dial assembly so it is jammed in there when you dial the slide backwards toward you. Now try to dial the slide backwards and see if it slips. If it does you at minimum need an internal brass nut and at most the dial assembly and nut.

Chris, when I followed your directions, as soon as the slide contacted the wedged in tool post and could no longer travel, the dial/handle continued to turn/slip. Also, when I created a little resistance going in the opposite direction, again, the slide stopped moving but the dial/handle continued to turn/slip. I'll give you a call soon to order parts. Thank you all for the input.

Attachments

• July 13 cross slide and carriage wheels.jpg
    July 13 cross slide and carriage wheels.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 196

JBCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look on the back side underneath of your cross slide while using Chis's instructions. Is the lead screw spinning? If so the brass lead nut is stripped. If not the screw in front of the handle or the dial it's self is either loose or damaged.

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look on the back side underneath of your cross slide while using Chis's instructions. Is the lead screw spinning? If so the brass lead nut is stripped. If not the screw in front of the handle or the dial it's self is either loose or damaged.

Joe, thank you for the clarification. The lead screw (is this the same as "cross slide screw"?) is not spinning when using Chris's instructions.