CSI Podcast 15: Ozzy Reynolds (CSI) & Luke Riches (Matchroom Sport)

CSI - Ozzy

Banned
CSI Podcast 15 will be recorded on Saturday, May 23 and released on the CSI YouTube Channel on Monday, May 25. Ozzy Reynolds (CSI General Manager) and Luke Riches (Matchroom Sport Media Director) will discuss the upcoming 2015 Mosconi Cup and other related topics.

If there are specific questions or topics that you would like us to address, please post them here. Thank you!

YouTube Subscribe Pic.jpg

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Please at least call the 9!!
The way Neils lucked in the 9 to win a match last year, was an embarrassment to the game!

Green Hornet

Registered
Spot On or Out Damned Spot

I was hoping Mr. Riches could discuss his opinions concerning the 9 on the spot.

Why does the Euro Tour feel the 9 on the spot is a better way for their tour?

When Team U.S.A. was dominating, the 9 on the spot was implemented. Since then Team Europe has turned the tide. I know the 9 on the spot isn't solely responsible for the tide turning, but now that Team Europe is dominating what changes have you considered changing to even things.

Discuss and compare the differences in your mind between the culture of pool in Europe vs. USA..

I remember years ago that on the years that the Mosconi Cup was to be played in Europe that the event would occur in different countries. Will we ever see another Mosconi Cup played in another European country?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
When might we see the American's getting a little help...like Canada & U.S.A? We all know it's not very fair teams. I know they hate all Americans and most countries like to see us look bad in the eyes of the world. But we were your hero's during the war. If you can't make it fair, then play a team from the Philippines instead of us. Johnnyt

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
RE: US Open

let's assume for a moment that the US Open doesn't happen (perhaps because the venue isn't prepaid @ SEP 20) - what is Matchroom's Plan B regarding points?

is there any way that yáll can announce at least a few of Team USA sooner than NOV 1? this year, the team will determine if we all attend again. having more than 30 days' notice helps with costs.

thanks, Luke!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to ask Luke about US TV. Have plans been set yet, what are the goals, and what are the challenges.

Last year I watched live streaming on ESPN's internet "station," ESPN3. It was also available on-demand for a short time afterwards (maybe a few days). But as far as I know there was no television coverage. Same this year?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I would bet 3 of team U.S.A is/has been practicing at the college with Mark Wilson. If you're going to let Johnny A. back on the MC team, at least DON'T make him captain. You can see from the players that have to play with him that they hate him telling them how to shoot EVERY FN shot. Johnnyt.

Green Hornet

Registered
LADIES and Gentleman

I believe in years past the Mosconi Cup included female players. Are there any plans to add ladies to the team or do a All-Female version of the Mosconi Cup.

At last years BCAPL NAtionals, it seemed as if nearly a quarter to a third of the competitors were female. I felt if CSI were to do another Invitational they should include women as well. After all, if were trying to grow the game we should make it all-inclusive. Are we missing an opportunity here?

Any thoughts are definitely appreciated.

Thanks to CSI and Matchroom Sport respectively.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I believe in years past the Mosconi Cup included female players. Are there any plans to add ladies to the team or do a All-Female version of the Mosconi Cup.

At last years BCAPL NAtionals, it seemed as if nearly a quarter to a third of the competitors were female. I felt if CSI were to do another Invitational they should include women as well. After all, if were trying to grow the game we should make it all-inclusive. Are we missing an opportunity here?

Any thoughts are definitely appreciated.

Thanks to CSI and Matchroom Sport respectively.

Adding our pro women against Europe's would be worst than what the men are up against. We have no American women that play close to theirs. Johnnyt

jpparmentier

AZB Artist
Silver Member
Team AzB
I would bet 3 of team U.S.A is/has been practicing at the college with Mark Wilson. If you're going to let Johnny A. back on the MC team, at least DON'T make him captain. You can see from the players that have to play with him that they hate him telling them how to shoot EVERY FN shot. Johnnyt.

The Captains have been named in previous PRs this year. Mark Wilson will again be in charge for the USA, so if Johnny A. makes the team again, he won't be captain.

jpparmentier

AZB Artist
Silver Member
Team AzB
We all know it's not very fair teams.

This is absolutely untrue when you look at the event's format. 9-ball race to 5, alternate break... It's anybody's game.

Two major things that have turned the tide since 2006:

- Johan Ruijsink and his ability to gather, focus and prepare a bunch of ego-centric world champions (I'm saying this with respect - to be as good as they are you have to be very self-centered in our sport)

- The importance of the lag. Many times in the US you guys start matches with a coin toss. Europeans practice the lag all year long, and even harder than that in the MC practice room. In the end, it decides who breaks for the hill-hill rack. VERY important.

With the proper focus and preparation, it's anybody's game.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
The Captains have been named in previous PRs this year. Mark Wilson will again be in charge for the USA, so if Johnny A. makes the team again, he won't be captain.

Thank you for that info...I guess I missed that or read right over it. Johnnyt

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is absolutely untrue when you look at the event's format. 9-ball race to 5, alternate break... It's anybody's game.

Two major things that have turned the tide since 2006:

- Johan Ruijsink and his ability to gather, focus and prepare a bunch of ego-centric world champions (I'm saying this with respect - to be as good as they are you have to be very self-centered in our sport)

- The importance of the lag. Many times in the US you guys start matches with a coin toss. Europeans practice the lag all year long, and even harder than that in the MC practice room. In the end, it decides who breaks for the hill-hill rack. VERY important.

With the proper focus and preparation, it's anybody's game.
I notice that you didn't say "because American pro pool has declined due to the lack of organization, tournaments, tours, and money."

CSI - Ozzy

Banned
Upload

We would like to thank Luke Riches of Matchroom Sport for stopping by and being a guest on CSI Podcast 15. It will be uploaded to the CSI YouTube channel no later than Tuesday, May 26.

CSI Podcast 15.jpg

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Pool in the South

The US Open in Virginia and that is once a year, North Carolina is a pretty pool strong state. I would love to see some professional pool played in this area. I realize that logistically this might be hard for anyone to do. You are in Las Vegas and other events are fairly far away.

Is there any chance that anyone will be promoting any Professional Events in the South?

jpparmentier

AZB Artist
Silver Member
Team AzB
I notice that you didn't say "because American pro pool has declined due to the lack of organization, tournaments, tours, and money."

You're absolutely right; I was pointing out details and what I believe can be changed. There won't be a pro tour put together overnight in the USA.

Making a ranking with a PBT-like tour would be much easier, too.

My point was that I don't feel like the USA are very far away from an MC victory. But I do agree with you, I forgot to mention the state of US pool in my thoughts :)