Cue grip is getting soaked with water, not sweat.

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
During summer time my linen wrap gets pretty wet. My hand sweats, so I had thought that was the reason. But this afternoon I found out that wasn't necessarily the case.

Usually if I'm practicing my grip becomes a bit damp, but occasionally it becomes quite waterlogged. Sometimes I come back to my cue after a break and it seems even wetter than when I left it. At least once I have put it in the case relatively dry, and later taken it out to find it damp.

Last night I left my cue out at the club overnight instead of putting it in my case (private club, totally safe to leave it like that). When I came back about 8 hours later, the wrap was completely covered in something like dew. It was literally shiny and dripping water when I picked it up. I'm sure no water was poured on it, you can tell the difference. Poured water doesn't stick like dew. There were about 8 cues standing next to it, at least two with wraps. All were dry except mine.

The people at the club hadn't seen anything like that before, nor had I. They leave their cues out (next to where mine was) every night. Has anyone here ever seen this before? Why would this only happen to one cue among many? Why only the wrap? Should I worry about my butt warping now? Have I found a new source of fresh water?

I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this.
 
I've seen linen wrap gather moisture when it is very humid in a place. Very annoying.
Maybe you could try a wax coating? Something like bow string wax?
 
noRulez said:
I've seen linen wrap gather moisture when it is very humid in a place. Very annoying.
Maybe you could try a wax coating? Something like bow string wax?

yeah my last cue would get really moist if i left it in my unifinished garage over night. humidity. it would actually look like a different color. white when dry and bluish when it was moist. probably the chalk residue coming up.
 
arsenius said:
During summer time my linen wrap gets pretty wet. My hand sweats, so I had thought that was the reason. But this afternoon I found out that wasn't necessarily the case.

Usually if I'm practicing my grip becomes a bit damp, but occasionally it becomes quite waterlogged. Sometimes I come back to my cue after a break and it seems even wetter than when I left it. At least once I have put it in the case relatively dry, and later taken it out to find it damp.

Last night I left my cue out at the club overnight instead of putting it in my case (private club, totally safe to leave it like that). When I came back about 8 hours later, the wrap was completely covered in something like dew. It was literally shiny and dripping water when I picked it up. I'm sure no water was poured on it, you can tell the difference. Poured water doesn't stick like dew. There were about 8 cues standing next to it, at least two with wraps. All were dry except mine.

The people at the club hadn't seen anything like that before, nor had I. They leave their cues out (next to where mine was) every night. Has anyone here ever seen this before? Why would this only happen to one cue among many? Why only the wrap? Should I worry about my butt warping now? Have I found a new source of fresh water?

I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

Try using a bit of spray starch on a rag wiped on the wrap, it will draw out all the sweat and grime and when it dries it will leave your wrap nice and crisp, which may help
 
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately I don't know where to find bow string wax or spray starch in this country.:( The cue is a Jacoby, about 4 years old I think. Does anyone have any ideas about why the other cues didn't get wet like this though?
 
Back
Top