Cue identification please?

jbsbdb

Hi, I'm a new member. Used to play a lot from childhood up until my mid 20s, especially in college. At that time I bought this cue from the friend I played
with most often. He was in the market for a better one and sold me this one for $70 around 1977. I know he bought it in St. Louis, but I don't know where. I recall him
saying something along the lines of having it made, but not sure. It's 60" in length. No markings whatsoever other then an 'S' stamped near the end. His last name
began with 'S' so maybe that was his doing. Can anyone help identify it? Is it a decent cue? Thank you for any insight you might have.

Attachments

• cue 1.jpg
    cue 1.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 177
  • cue 2.jpg
    cue 2.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 175
  • cue 3.jpg
    cue 3.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 193
  • cue 4.jpg
    cue 4.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 184
  • cue 5.jpg
    cue 5.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 185
  • cue 6.jpg
    cue 6.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 170

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I'm a new member. Used to play a lot from childhood up until my mid 20s, especially in college. At that time I bought this cue from the friend I played
with most often. He was in the market for a better one and sold me this one for $70 around 1977. I know he bought it in St. Louis, but I don't know where. I recall him
saying something along the lines of having it made, but not sure. It's 60" in length. No markings whatsoever other then an 'S' stamped near the end. His last name
began with 'S' so maybe that was his doing. Can anyone help identify it? Is it a decent cue? Thank you for any insight you might have.
To me, it looks like a cue that has some quality to it- A Willie Hoppe cue conversion, an old Rambo cue butt maybe, someone here should solve this; but I would say your making a profit from your $70 purchase if you decide to sell it.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Since the joint pin is in the shaft rather than the butt, Burton Spain comes to mind, though others no doubt did this too.

All the best,
WW

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think it’s older than a Rambo or a Spain. I’ve had a couple old Brunswicks that had shafts longer than the butt...
...and the pin in the shaft...one was made in 1918.
There were other similar makes...hopefully, Ideologist will give us the low down.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Was the pin always in the shaft? Looking closely at the pin it appears the top half is clean but end of pin not finished. Is it possible the pin released and what we are seeing is its now backward as in the part screwed into the shaft that appears to have glue in the threads used to be in the butt instead. Has an ivory Rambow style ring. The veneer colors in the titleist blank are vivid and bright suggesting post 50s. Appears to be ivory joint. Also of note flat face no pilot. My guess is Brunswick cue later modified to add that ivory joint...original titleist would have a retaining pin through the joint pin in the butt under the collar.

Last edited:

jbsbdb

Thank you all for the responses and for trying to figure this out for me. Yes, as far as I know and since 1977 for sure, the pin has been in the shaft.
I'm attaching a couple more photos that hopefully show the joint better.

Attachments

• cue 7.jpg
    cue 7.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 120
  • cue 8.jpg
    cue 8.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 117

middleofnowhere

Registered
Thank you all for the responses and for trying to figure this out for me. Yes, as far as I know and since 1977 for sure, the pin has been in the shaft.
I'm attaching a couple more photos that hopefully show the joint better.
I'm convinced from your pictures the screw is supposed to be in the butt. It's length alone tells me that. I have seen this before.

PoodlePuncher

Registered
I'm convinced from your pictures the screw is supposed to be in the butt. It's length alone tells me that. I have seen this before.
The butt has a threaded insert inside the ferrule, and the stud appears to be threaded directly into the wood of the shaft.
That wouldn't work well, if it was installed the way you suggest.

If there is a threaded insert in the shaft as well, then yes i agree.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The pin was installed in the shaft as an older fashion. Spain took after turn of the century Brunswick cues in veneers and construction

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would anyone have a guess as to it's value? Or what I might ask or expect to get for it?
If you could convince someone it was a Spain it would be valuable but it's hard to pinpoint a value if the maker is unknown. Are all 4 points even? Does it roll straight?

jbsbdb

It does roll straight. The points though are not all even. Two are even and the other two are even but the difference between them
is about an 1/8". Without a known maker I'm not even sure what to advertise it as.