CUE REPAIR at the EXPO !?

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

if I remember correctly there were booths last year, where they have done some cue repair things :confused:

Will there be a booth again this year, where i could repair some tiny problems :rolleyes:
Of course, not only a new wrap, tip or ferrule - more like a little crack in the buttcap. :eek:

But it´s my player and I want to have it fast again, you know.
Maybe only sand the butt end, fill the crack up with something white and that´s it - possible, what you think.

Erich

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
All those broken cues you recalled last year were new cues purchased so famed celebrity players can break them on purpose so fans can take home the shards as souveniers. Its similiar to getting an autographed cue ball, but its the new hot marketing trend.

The repair booths exists so the cue owners can come back home to their wives and not have to explain to their spouse why not only buy another cue, let alone a broken cue. Also, to boast to their league friends that they took their favoriate celebrity on a barbox and won, result is a broken cue from rage of losing to a rank amateur. Like a I went to SBE and all I got was a souvenier T-Shirt

Remember, what happens in Valley Forge stays in Valley Forge.

Too complicated to explain, so I included these videos.

Johnny Archer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui_cLjswzJk#t=0m12s

Earl Strickland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVXb7-xSLfo

In all seriousness, yes there will be several repair booths. You can review the vendors here.
http://www.superbilliardsexpo.com/info2010/2010 - ExhibitorReport for Website.pdf

Good Luck

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think the general concensus on the forums and with most pro players would be to try Joe Blackburn's booth first.

Steve Lomax (in the past) has always worked with Joe in his booth at Valley Forge. I've only ever known the booth to be downstairs. Take a right at the bottom of the stairs and it is usually the 2nd booth on the right.

iownthe412

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I take my cue to Steve to get a lizard wrap put on that I already have and also 2 tips put on 2 shafts does anyone think I will have it back reasonably quick. If so, can anyone give me an estimate on how long it would possibly take?

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I take my cue to Steve to get a lizard wrap put on that I already have and also 2 tips put on 2 shafts does anyone think I will have it back reasonably quick. If so, can anyone give me an estimate on how long it would possibly take?

I wouldn't begin to guess but I wouldn't think that it would take all that long. If Steve doesn't see this post and replies, you can PM. His screen name is Stevel <- lowercase L on the end.

If you're going to be in Valley Forge for the whole event, I would think the turn around time will be faster on Thur before the weekend foot traffic starts to pick up. You could ask Steve which day of the event is slower than the others. (none are really slow but some are slower) :cool:

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member

Actual time involved, about 15 minutes per tip and maybe an hour for a wrap. But remember, they are going to be slammed, so don't expect them to jump right on it.

Steve

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Hey guys,

if I remember correctly there were booths last year, where they have done some cue repair things :confused:

Will there be a booth again this year, where i could repair some tiny problems :rolleyes:
Of course, not only a new wrap, tip or ferrule - more like a little crack in the buttcap. :eek:

But it´s my player and I want to have it fast again, you know.
Maybe only sand the butt end, fill the crack up with something white and that´s it - possible, what you think.

Erich

Erich,

Here is my approach, if you want the job done the first time have it done correctly. If you have a cracked butt cap you really need to have it replaced and the but of the cue refinished. I have seen most of your collection and there is not one cue there that is worthy of a butt cap to be filled and sanded. :mad: If you do that your cue just might get up and leave you for someone who will bring him back to 100%. :smile:

I'm sure you can find a cue maker there that could take your cue back to his shop fix it and ship it back to you in a week or two.

Craig

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all thanks for all the fast answers, and it´s great to hear the there will be booths for repair.

Erich,

Here is my approach, if you want the job done the first time have it done correctly. If you have a cracked butt cap you really need to have it replaced and the but of the cue refinished. I have seen most of your collection and there is not one cue there that is worthy of a butt cap to be filled and sanded. :mad: If you do that your cue just might get up and leave you for someone who will bring him back to 100%. :smile:

I'm sure you can find a cue maker there that could take your cue back to his shop fix it and ship it back to you in a week or two.

Craig

And second, you are completely right, Craig.
I want to give it to the maker who made the cue, but I am not sure if he will do that for me :rolleyes:
I would love to get a new and original GINA BUTT CAP with logo, again :eek:
But we had some conversations some time ago (email) which didn´t realy end well. :mad:
Of course I will try and ask him first, but you know....... , if not I am searching for another possibility.
As I am playing with 314 shafts, I would have enough other cues with 314´s to play :grin-square:

Thanks for your input, Craig,
your buddy,
Erich

stevel

Lomax Custom Cues
Silver Member
Joe and I will be in the same booth we always have,L-42 athe bottom of the
steps second on the right.Unless we are swamped with cue repair the job in question will take about 45 minutes.As stated above,I also recommend getting the butt cap fixed at someone's shop so it can be refinished after the repair. Hope to see everyone at the Expo and have a safe trip there.

Best Wishes,

Steve

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
First of all thanks for all the fast answers, and it´s great to hear the there will be booths for repair.

And second, you are completely right, Craig.
I want to give it to the maker who made the cue, but I am not sure if he will do that for me :rolleyes:
I would love to get a new and original GINA BUTT CAP with logo, again :eek:
But we had some conversations some time ago (email) which didn´t realy end well. :mad:
Of course I will try and ask him first, but you know....... , if not I am searching for another possibility.
As I am playing with 314 shafts, I would have enough other cues with 314´s to play :grin-square:

Thanks for your input, Craig,
your buddy,
Erich

WOW, really? Gina i thought was a easy to work with guy. You might try going throuth Jimmy or Tinkker here to get it done by Gina. In the long run it will be much much better. Without that silly logo on the butt cap would prove to be costly in resale value.

Wish i was going to the expo, next year!

Craig

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW, really? Gina i thought was a easy to work with guy. You might try going throuth Jimmy or Tinkker here to get it done by Gina. In the long run it will be much much better. Without that silly logo on the butt cap would prove to be costly in resale value.

Wish i was going to the expo, next year!

Craig

Great idea - thanks, Craig.
Will try to speak with tikkler or jimmy about that - maybe they can help.
I even thought about asking Will - will see.
But thanks for the ideas,
Erich