Cue Repair Lathe Upcoming Purchase - General Questions

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member
I have a few questions on cue repair lathes including some specific on the Mid-America and Hightower lathes...

1) When I’ve heard or been around a Mid-America lathe, the sound is fairly loud almost too loud for my liking.

How does a similar CueSmith2/3 or MidSize compare on the loudness of the electric motor vs the Mid-America?? I’m sure the HP size plays a big role in that and I will be going with the upgraded HP motor on a Hightower CS2/3/MS.

2) I’m really close to purchasing a new cue-lathe and have pretty much settled on one from Hightower. The main things I want to do are tips, ferrules, wraps, cleaning, joint work/, tapping (no live threading), refinishing, build custom extensions & JPs....no inlaying AND not a must to retaper shafts yet either.

I’m not interested in building cues yet and even if I did, I would buy a Metal lathe and cross that bridge when it comes. I think it’s best to start with crawling before I sprint. I want to do some of the tedious dirty work before I jump right in to cue building if that even appeals to me at a later date.

One last question:
3) Will I need the Hightower bigger 1.4” spindle bore for the areas I want to focus on in repairs and maint??

I don’t have any lathe or shop experience but I am extremely analytical, detail oriented, and meticulous type of guy. I’m very handy with tools and general things around the house. I’d say for just someone who is a player I know more than the average player about specifics on pool equipment & maint. I already do my own tips and clean shafts and take dents out for my shafts and other players shafts and I must say they come out looking very nice. With that said I have so much to learn about being a repairman.

I look forward to at a later date getting to know some of the other people in this field and I’m not too proud to ask...after I try first to do my research . Sorry if this became long winded and appreciate it if you’ve made it this far reading.

**Edit: I forgot to add that portability is paramount with this first lathe. There is a huge opportunity at my local pool hall which is why I’m going first with a dedicated cue repair lathe and not a metal lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have room, get the 12x36 or 40 and be done with it. A Grizzly or HF engine lathe will allow you to turn threads and is available with the big spindle bore for roughly the same money as the smaller lathes. You will have no regrets.

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member
I forgot to add that portability is paramount with this first lathe. There is a huge opportunity at my local pool hall which is why I’m going first with a dedicated cue repair lathe and not a metal lathe.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I forgot to add that portability is paramount with this first lathe. There is a huge opportunity at my local pool hall which is why I’m going first with a dedicated cue repair lathe and not a metal lathe.

Look at Hightower’s lathe. Very portable. As for the noisy MIdAmerca? It’s pretty quiet. Does not sound right. Something is wrong with the one you were around.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Ok, first, Either lathe will serve you well, and both are backed by the 2 best guys in the business, IMHO. I do recommend the 1.4" bore as now you can always add on, and will be able to fit anything thru the headstock to make parts or work on the rear of the cue. Now if you want to do/learn repairs, I recommend doing it at home for awhile...like a couple years, so if you fk up, your customers aren't watching. Just like playing pool, build the muscle memory before going on to a stage. Doing stuff at a pool hall, with others around...attracts a crowd more times than not, and even knowing what to do, guess what....get tapped on the shoulder when you are doing a tip or ferrule...you will flinch or jump....maybe no harm no foul....or you lose a finger tip or just fked up a revo shaft...which you are now on the hook for....something to think about. Good luck on the venture, and welcome to the sickness..lol
Dave

Last edited:

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with Dave -this "huge opportunity" that you anticipate, may be an opportunity to fail. Simply purchasing a lathe doesn't make you a cue tech ready to work on other people's cues. In addition to a suitable lathe there are $$$ worth of tools, cutters, collets, ferrules, sealers, waxes, glues, taps, and so on that you must purchase and then each one of those has a learning curve that can't be achieved overnight.
By all means, purchase the lathe of your choice, but set it up at home and keep it there while you learn. It's fun, challenging, and educational. And as others have said, buy your final lathe first while you have the money - repairs, even in the future, aren't going to make you rich. LOL
My 2 cents,
Gary

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Get the large bore mid size and skip the micro units is my advice.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Chris. I’ve had a large bore MS lathe for several years and love it. You could build cues with the right attachments, but the advise on learning repairs at home is spot on. If you could watch an experienced repairman install a tip or change a ferrule, you will be miles ahead of the game. Good luck!!

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I agree with Dave -this "huge opportunity" that you anticipate, may be an opportunity to fail. Simply purchasing a lathe doesn't make you a cue tech ready to work on other people's cues. In addition to a suitable lathe there are $$$ worth of tools, cutters, collets, ferrules, sealers, waxes, glues, taps, and so on that you must purchase and then each one of those has a learning curve that can't be achieved overnight.
By all means, purchase the lathe of your choice, but set it up at home and keep it there while you learn. It's fun, challenging, and educational. And as others have said, buy your final lathe first while you have the money - repairs, even in the future, aren't going to make you rich. LOL
My 2 cents,
Gary

I agree..... very few people looking of jumping into cue repairs and building see the total cost until they start to buy tools and materials...............

Kim

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member

My 2 cents,

Gary

Appreciate that I have planned for those additional costs.

All of the comments here have been very helpful.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Appreciate that I have planned for those additional costs.

All of the comments have been very helpful.

Good luck and have fun. I bought a few maple and oak dowels from Home Depot to practice/learn with. I do things for friends and guys I play pool with. Please know your customer. I tell them I know what I’m doing but don’t be mad if something goes sour or beyond my control.
I’m currently learning to pin. Have made a few JPs. I like the way it’s going .... mainly from the support here.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One additional thing to remember as you start with the new lathe; make sure all of your tool bits are sharp!! I use heat to remove an old or broken ferrule, or you could cut them down; using a dull bit to do this is a waste of time. A tip from Cueman that I use; Lenox titanium razor blades are the best. A not so sharp razor blade could build up heat on a layered tip. Heat could melt the glue and you don’t want that.
Again, good luck and you will find a tremendous amount of help from the experienced cue technicians on this site.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Keep in mind ... the lathe is just the down payment to a seemingly never ending list of add-on's, accessory's and supplies.
The Hightower is a very quiet lathe to operate and is fully capable to make a cue should you get the urge to do more than repair.
Chris has a very well respect reputation as a straight up and honest man.

DVD's and You tube videos are your best bet on home schooling cue repair.
Unique Products sells a complete series on cue repair methods.

I live in Corpus Christi and if you ever need some help with something just call and ask.
William Lee 361-563-1303

Last edited:

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People tell me quite often that they want to buy a lathe to build a cue. It is the same as if they told me that they want to buy a hammer and build a house.

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member
Keep in mind ... the lathe is just the down payment to a seemingly never ending list of add-on's, accessory's and supplies.
The Hightower is a very quiet lathe to operate and is fully capable to make a cue should you get the urge to do more than repair.
Chris has a very well respect reputation as a straight up and honest man.

DVD's and You tube videos are your best bet on home schooling cue repair.
Unique Products sells a complete series on cue repair methods.

I live in Corpus Christi and if you ever need some help with something just call and ask.
William Lee 361-563-1303

William, I will for sure save your information. Thanks!!!

If anyone has any set of DVDs for sale (Unique or Hightower) I would be interested in maybe getting those now to start watching before I purchase the lathe....

Last edited:

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before pulling the trigger on a lathe I highly recommend picking up Chris Hightower's book first, it's a great guide. It's something you will reference over and over again, and it will answer many questions you may have.

To a lesser extent, you could also check out Barringer's intro to cue building dvd. It can give you a good idea for what you may be in for.

Reactions: JC

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Before pulling the trigger on a lathe I highly recommend picking up Chris Hightower's book first, it's a great guide. It's something you will reference over and over again, and it will answer many questions you may have.

To a lesser extent, you could also check out Barringer's intro to cue building dvd. It can give you a good idea for what you may be in for.

Hightowers book is excellent. Buy it now...later.....whenever. Get one. LJ...you'll enjoy a lathe. I have no interest in making cues.....just bought mine for fun/hobby. I made this today... 5/16-14 for my Schon Hoppe Tribute. Used a piece of Padauk with an insert from Atlas. Topped it off with a dime...finish is CA...and hit with EEE wax to finalize. Nothing fancy...just clean and functional.
The members here are very supportive.

Attachments

• IMG_9325.jpg
    IMG_9325.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_9321.jpg
    IMG_9321.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_9323.jpg
    IMG_9323.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 191
Last edited: