cue weight !!!!!

Mojocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lighter cue has properties leaning towards less cue ball deflection ,, more english ,, faster break speed than a similar built cue at a higher weight

heavier harder hit more weight will enhance pendulum effect in proper stroke

comparing 18 to 19 oz cues is probably miniscule the above is more evident
when comparing say an 18 to a 21 but the above is all science and physics based

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
what is the pros a cons of cue weight say 19 oz vs 18 oz

Hello Chris, believe this or not the weight of a cue is not as important as the cues balance. Cues that are 19 or even 20oz can feel much lighter due to the cues balance and little else. I have had many customers surprised when they buy one of my cues, they ask for specific weight and when their cue is delivered in most cases they think the cue is actually lighter than it actual is.

The reason this happens is because when most people buy their first custom cue they have no idea how much the balance is going to change the way the cue feels. In most cases if not all production cues are butt heavy, this is because little consideration is taken when considering the balance of the cue, and most thought is put into making a cue with adjustable weight. This means that a weight bolt will be the primary means of adding weight or detracting weight from a cue, and when this is of primary concern a good balanced feel is not easy to maintain.

Most custom cues are built at least to my knowledge with a specific balance being the primary concern for the cue maker. When building to this standard weight is more uniformly distributed throughout the cue to achieve either the balance point the customer requested or the balance point the cue maker likes to build. Balance points for most custom cue makers will be either neutral or slightly forward balanced, I do not know of any custom cue makers who intentionally build their cues with the butt heavy feeling that you get with production cues.

Chris I know this post is certainly a little long winded, however, when considering weight you must first consider balance because this will have more effect on how cue hits than how much the weighs.

JIMO

christopher3222

i b strokin
Silver Member
Hello Chris, believe this or not the weight of a cue is not as important as the cues balance. Cues that are 19 or even 20oz can feel much lighter due to the cues balance and little else. I have had many customers surprised when they buy one of my cues, they ask for specific weight and when their cue is delivered in most cases they think the cue is actually lighter than it actual is.

The reason this happens is because when most people buy their first custom cue they have no idea how much the balance is going to change the way the cue feels. In most cases if not all production cues are butt heavy, this is because little consideration is taken when considering the balance of the cue, and most thought is put into making a cue with adjustable weight. This means that a weight bolt will be the primary means of adding weight or detracting weight from a cue, and when this is of primary concern a good balanced feel is not easy to maintain.

Most custom cues are built at least to my knowledge with a specific balance being the primary concern for the cue maker. When building to this standard weight is more uniformly distributed throughout the cue to achieve either the balance point the customer requested or the balance point the cue maker likes to build. Balance points for most custom cue makers will be either neutral or slightly forward balanced, I do not know of any custom cue makers who intentionally build their cues with the butt heavy feeling that you get with production cues.

Chris I know this post is certainly a little long winded, however, when considering weight you must first consider balance because this will have more effect on how cue hits than how much the weighs.

JIMO
thank you i was trying to find out in a google search and kept getting the run around thats why i love azb!!!!!

christopher3222

i b strokin
Silver Member
lighter cue has properties leaning towards less cue ball deflection ,, more english ,, faster break speed than a similar built cue at a higher weight

heavier harder hit more weight will enhance pendulum effect in proper stroke

comparing 18 to 19 oz cues is probably miniscule the above is more evident
when comparing say an 18 to a 21 but the above is all science and physics based

thanks!!!!!!!!!!