Cuemakers Taking Orders

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a year maybe but if out more than that they most likely cant meet their date or are just guessing.
and why wait a year. many great cues on the web site here and you might even work out a return if you dont like the hit with a small few of them
with good rep. or if near you go meet them.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shout out to Eddie Cohen. Under rated cue maker, was awesome to deal with.
I've heard great things about Eddie but didn't think he was less than a 2yr wait. Kent Davis is another name I would add, very similar to a Sugartree.

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shoot the Tascarella`s an email. SR & JR are very easy to work with & I`m pretty sure they are 2yrs or under on there cue builds.
Good Luck in your search
Jeff

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No two cues are alike and no two cues will play exactly the same. If a cuemaker makes 1,000 cues each one will be a little different in some respect.
Oh boy, that’s so true when you think about a cue maker’s wood inventory turnover, frequency of replenishment, source for the wood, what’s available at the time and variety. It’s not like there’s a secret forest somewhere with 100+ year old trees that have huge branches even thicker than a lot of trees harvested today. The wood quality is something the cue maker chooses from what’s available and sadly, the majority of those big old quality trees were harvested a long time ago.

Last edited:

MaxiPool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard great things about Eddie but didn't think he was less than a 2yr wait. Kent Davis is another name I would add, very similar to a Sugartree.
I put down a 900 bucks deposit in May 2018 with Cohen, still waiting for the cue...

He connects about once a year and explains that something came up, but soon my cue will be done.:confused:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
why would you give a 900 deposit to anyone for anything that isn't readily coming your way.
and once the person you are dealing with lies to you about something then you know he is a pos and then demand your deposit back.
because all future things will be suspect.

shooter_Hans

When cue makers need this long of a waiting list it just means they are not efficient. It's actually bad practice.

Imagine if you can sell hundreds and hundreds of something but didn't find a way to do it. LOL

If I had the opportunity to make something for the mass public and 100 people are on my list...I would make sure to complete their orders and do another 100, 200 or even 300 more cues.

I get that they are custom orders but you want to be able to pump out as many as you can. I know this is a niche market but my goodness. What are they building? Full customs?

A cue maker should only make a few designs. It is their artistic input. Stop hiring the likes of Tascarella or Ginacue to build you something they normally don't build.

It's like hiring Picasso and telling him how to paint a portrait of you.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
problem is many of these makers are working from home and are lazy and dont do a days work. so nothing ever gets done. and they have already spent the foolish deposit money and in their minds cannot see a reason to finish the cues.
so basically they stole your deposit even if they had the intention of making the cue on time. not refunding it is stealing.
so do you want to continue with someone like that or get your deposit back or insist on seeing pictures of your cue being built now.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
its so much smarter to just buy a used cue or one you get to hit and like it. rather than a pig in a poke hoping it hits good.

if you have some dream artwork of a cue then go to a high end maker that is known for getting things in time done, and keeps his word.

shooter_Hans

its so much smarter to just buy a used cue or one you get to hit and like it. rather than a pig in a poke hoping it hits good.

if you have some dream artwork of a cue then go to a high end maker that is known for getting things in time done, and keeps his word.
My suggestion for cue makers is to make 20 cues......put it on sale.

Make another 20 and put it on sale.

Finish a batch and sell them. Taking orders can get someone in trouble. When I say in trouble I mean receiving a small portion of the money and spending that on expenses. That can affect work ethic when you know you got money up front.

shooter_Hans

Oh boy, that’s so true when you think about a cue maker’s wood inventory turnover, frequency of replenishment, source for the wood, what’s available at the time and variety. It’s not like there’s a secret forest somewhere with 100+ year old trees that have huge branches even thicker than a lot of trees harvested today. The wood quality is something the cue maker chooses from what’s available and sadly, the majority of those big old quality trees were harvested a long time ago.
No wonder custom cues don’t have that feel like old custom cues from the 90’s or even early 00’s.

shooter_Hans

There are more cue makers today then at any point since the 50’s.

There are cue making influencers teaching and showing people how to make them. Of course you need the machinery but then again there are lots of woodworkers with lathes and machines to do the job.

They are getting wind that players are willing to pay thousands and thousands for a build.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
or just buy an older cue after you hit it and like the hit. then send it to get refinished and spend just 200 and get a new looking cue that hits how you want it to.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
or just buy an older cue after you hit it and like the hit. then send it to get refinished and spend just 200 and get a new looking cue that hits how you want it to.
I agree with this to a certain extent, finding a cue and not waiting on a build. Hopefully, it doesn’t need a refinish but I would recommend having the original cue builder refinish it. This will also allow you to see how they are about turn around time And reliability. Also, there is something to be said about the experience and feeling you get when a cue builder makes a cue for you personally. I had Bob Runde build a fancy cue for me to buy, but I did not have any real input into the design and I sold it A few years later after it sat in a case in a closet. I also had him build me a much more basic design exactly how I wanted but had him pick the veneer colors and I will never part with it. If I found a cue I loved and wanted the cue builder to make another, I would see if I could send the cue I had to him to try and replicate the specs with the new aesthetics.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
this thread is about not highly rated not so honest cue makers, and sending cue makers your money or even a cue, and never getting anything back.

you had good luck with runde is if you didnt your post would be different.