Cuetec Thunderbolt

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
cuetec's don't hit 'bad' at all, just a little different. the only problem is that the fibreglass shafts get sticky after a few weeks. what i ddi with mine was completely sand off the fibreglass coating. problem solved.

the things are really tough. you wont nick or dent the shaft easily, and mine always stayed dead straight. and i did treat it like crap.

they aren't a bad cue at all.

travis trotter

pro pool player
Silver Member
cuetec thunderbolt

why not ask me the cuetec expert i can answer this type of problem for you if you want?:)

thanks

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
travis trotter said:
why not ask me the cuetec expert i can answer this type of problem for you if you want?:)

thanks

do you do anything different to keep the shaft from sticking to your hand?

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
Thank you! REP For knowing what a thunderbolt is!

McChen said:
the thunderbolt does not have the fiberglass cladding, it is a maple shaft with a graphite rod core. the python shaft is a thunderbolt shaft covered in fiberglass.

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
ok Travis, Can you describe the thunderbolt Series Cuetec shaft? and does it really have a 20" Pro TAPER!!!!!!?? the tip, its layered, but what hardness rating would you say it is?

travis trotter said:

thanks

travis trotter

pro pool player
Silver Member
cuetec thunderbolt

the only way to know what i know about cuetec cues is to go to cuetec.com and see for yourself because i do know that the cuetec thunderbolt series cues do have a good shaft on them :)

thanks

travis trotter

pro pool player
Silver Member
SPINDOKTOR said:
ok Travis, Can you describe the thunderbolt Series Cuetec shaft? and does it really have a 20" Pro TAPER!!!!!!?? the tip, its layered, but what hardness rating would you say it is?
to answer that the answer is no they have the same type of taper as the sst shafts do 15 1/2 pro taper on them only the cuetec vortex shaft has the 20 inch taper on it

thanks

travis trotter

pro pool player
Silver Member
cuetec thunderbolt

poolplayer2093 said:
do you do anything different to keep the shaft from sticking to your hand?
the only type of stuff to use on your cuetec cue is cuetec hitech the stuff really works it keeps the shafts clean on the cues

thanks

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
madhaterm3 said:
you know...

if you have really really bad hearing and a lot of chalk on your hand they really aren't all that bad.....

That must be one of the best ways I read to put bad things in a good light.

poolplayer1988

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried 'em, not toooo bad....

When they first came out back in the day, I shot with one I bought dirt cheap from a guy I was beating in pool. A little later (me being immature and pissed off at myself), I tossed it on a table after losing and while racking, and the joint separates, nice and clean. I didn't slam it or anything, just a little pissed off toss on the table, and it broke off smooth at the joint, where the joint meets the forearm. It was weird. After that I played with other cues for years, and then one day found myself at my local pool room (when we had one) needing a cue to shoot with, so I borrowed a CueTec from the house man. I was surprised that it hit good and solid, and only made a noise when I shot a few firm shots with it, which wasn't so bad I hated it. I actually won some money with it on several occasions, when I was without a cue. Not too bad, I'd shoot with one if I HAD to, and would probably choose one over any other el-cheapo pool cue if I was gambling.

tigerallenyim

Hate has no home here
Silver Member
SPINDOKTOR said:
I know many people bash cuetec, Are they truly that bad? I myself really dont know for sure, so I went ahead and purchased a thunderbolt model, 99396 to see for myself... I will do an honest unbiased review..Im going to play with the thunderbolt for a week, every day, for 3.5 hours a day exclusive..So even if I dont care for it, im not going to simply revert to another cue, im giving the cuetec a full test drive and im treating this as though ive never heard of a cuetec...

in the meantime, why do you like or dislike cuetec? also have you tried the thunderbolt series? your thoughts?

SPINDOKTOR
I've owned about 7 different Cuetec cues (and yeah i've actually had both the vortex and thunderbolt models). In general, from the box, it plays well for what it is worth. Moreover, careful maintenance is required in order for the cue to continue to perform. Moreover, i've given them most away for new pool players that need one.

For the SST shafts, they play really well, as long as you don't mind the 'thonk' sound. However, I highly recommend to have the tip replaced with something a bit better.

For the Vortex Shafts (Mostly found on the their jump/break cue line), i was not pleased at all. The tip should be something else, I suggest either white diamond or phenolic. The tip bites, i'd rather break with a house cue, or use it as a regular playing cue. The construction of the cue is ok. I've really haven't played with other break cues ever since i modified my Lucasi.

Thunderbolt shafts is a good buy. Just change the tip.

But I must stress that the shafts need to be maintained constantly in order for it to perform well; i.e. wipe ur hands, don't leave them in extreme weather conditions, etc. If u don't maintain it... u might as well throw it in the bucket. This is why I had given up on Cutec, it's too high maintanence for me. :) My present cue is a McDermott and rarely have to do anything to it. I find it rarely to even wipe it down. :) Which I think is better for me.... I rather be concentrating on my game, rather than concentrating/getting upset with my cue.

Last edited:

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
I recieved the Cuetec model 99396 today. It looks ok, but for the price? I dunno... The Layered tip didnt look all that good, so I burmished it, and used a magic maker to color it black, and then burnished it again...I also Shaped the tip, as it was kinda flat.. Now the first hour I wasnt really impressed, it plays good, I did notice the butt is thiner than Im used to, but I really like the L O N G taper.. Its nice..

The second hour? I dont know what happened, but the cue did a 180
And really started to play well...Im quessing the tip broke in, i dont know what brand it is, but i like it.....Draw, top, and side is easy to come by, Im really starting to like it...the hit could be better, but the sound is right, no bonk noises, the thunderbolt shaft, tip combo works and works well......

I believe Cuetec to be a solid playing cue thusfar.....Im not crazy about the look, not at all, but Im after performance, I prefere the x shaft over the thunderbolt, but after comparing the hit, sound and performance to a 314-2 Im likimg the thunderbolt so far, as the hit to me is better, and ive seen no real advantage over the thunderbolt....... it is a low deflection high performing shaft as well....First impression, 1-10, Looks- 4 playability 8.5-9

Im going to wait a week, and ill report back....

SPINDOKTOR

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
Here are some examples hoe Cuetec thunderbolt differs from a standard cue..

Example #1

here I was able to use minamal speed with the cuetec, the red line is a monster player, from Dave Albrecht....the Albrecht hits a ton, and i over run position, I tried to play the exact same position with the Albrecht, with the same speed and english, but couldnt quite get where I wanted, I shot this once with the Cuetec... I tried several times with the other cue...

CueTable Help

Predator 314-2 V/s Tiger "X" V/s Cuetec Thunderbolt..

Black line is the 314-2
Red Line is the "X" Shaft
Blue is the Thunderbolt

CueTable Help

My objective here was to land the cue ball in the center of the table, I came closest with the "X" Shaft, the Predator Didnt quite make it, and I overrun the position with the cuetec.. I did this over and over, On average I came closer to the center of the table each time with the "X" Shaft, I hit the center with the cuetec times, and the predator I hit dead center once.. The "X" Shaft to me is more predictable, the cuetec seems to add a little something, and the predator, I seem to have to hit with more speed, but when I do I get more side.. So for me its more difficult to play position with the predator, although the shaft does apply enough spin to do whatever you want.. I can play better with the "X" Shaft, whitch IMHO was more consistant..

There are tons of examples, Overall, the cuetec is as good, on most shots, some shots the cuetec seems to get a little extra than what you put on it, and it does deflect a tiny bit more with extreme sidespin, than both the predator and the "X" Shaft..

The "X" Shaft is fitted with the Saber T ferrule and the Sniper tip
The PRedator is the 314-2 with a morri med hard
The Cuetec Unknown Layered tip, and Im not sure what the ferrule is actualy made of.. Honestly, I believe the cuetec could benifit from a Morri or the Sniper, but that is what it came with so I retained and will continue to shoot with the cuetec as shipped.

The Cuetec Shaft isnt whippy, I thought it would be but the hit is solid, but not overly hard, The "X" Shaft hits harder, and has more feel, the Predator with the Morri Med Hard Hits ok too, Honestly I believe out of the three I like the Cuetec hit the most, but I like the coinsistancy of the "X" Shaft, but I like the Spin the cuetec generates, the predator isnt bad at all, Im just not as consistant, The Predator I believe to have less overall deflection, but is harder for me to control..The Cuetec, at times seems to make you look like Efren, and catches you by surprise, so its a little distracting wondering where your going to end up, the "X" Shaft doesnt get any more stuff than the other two, but is more predictable..

the Break

I broke with the "X" Shaft, and original 314 and the Cuetec, same thing, the "X" Shaft and Predator were both more consistant, as the cuetec seemed to get spin from who knows where, its was an adventure, fun, watching the cue ball, but in a serious match I like the 314 actualy, as the break was more consistant, the "X" Shaft hit the hardest, by far, but I had trouble holding the cue ball.. all breaks were at full speed, center ball... I was breaking 8 ball racks.. None of the tips Mushroomed, whitch was surprising considering how hard I was hitting the pack..

For the Money, Cuetec is an awsome playing cue, I hate the look, but I will not deny the performance, If Cuetec would step thier program and build better quality cues, I think they would have the number 1 playing production cue.. If Earl used this Thunderbolt technology and is now using a standard shaft, Im sure he Knows what a cuetec is capable of.. they just look cheap.. As I believe cuetec play great inspite of thier construction and quality of materials..

WILL I KEEP THE CUETEC? No... because I hate looking at the damn thing, I might If I paint it solid black or something, otherwise, even tho its a great playing cue, its just fuggly.

SPINDOKTOR

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
another surprising example, this shot came up so I tried it with the 314-2 (b) the X shaft (R) and the thunderbolt (blue) At slower speeds the cuetec seems to be a monster :eek: Position wise if you like to shoot real hard, the cuetec isnt nothing speacial, when you shooting medium,- medium hard the cuetec is actualy generating more spin....

CueTable Help

I cant vouch for the other series cutec cues, but The thunderbolt did surprise me, I have retired the cuetec (i gave it to my son) but if and when cuetec makes a higher end cue available im going to have to check it out.....until then Im sticking with the X shaft.......

sponge bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great job comparing the shafts Spindoktor! I might have to give one a try in the near future.

Thanks, Asgar

Rep to you.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolplayer2093 said:
i've seen some people play well with them but the shafts get too sticky for me.

I believe you're talking about the standard Cuetec models with the Fiberglass or Graphite outer shell on top of a Maple shaft. Yes they do get very tacky after awhile they always need to be conditioned. This is one of the reasons I stopped using mine.

TJ