Custom cue buyers guide!

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
Hey guys! In light of all the crap going on lately with certain makers, I found myself thinking "why would someone choose this guy. Don't they know the alternatives?"

Then I realized... maybe they don't! With all the useless stickies on here, wouldn't it be great if we had a helpful buyers guide to custom cues? I frequent a guitar forum where one of the most helpful threads lists recommended guitars/amps broken down by price range. Reviews are linked where applicable.

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but personally I'd love to see something like the following. I certainly don't have the experience to fill in the list, but if people want to contribute I can edit the list per suggestions.

I know that prices vary greatly by options, but if you start with something very standard like a plain jane, you can adjust accordingly from there

Something like the following...

Approximate Price for a Plain Jane cue with 1-shaft

$300-500
Dave Albrecht (link to a review by James)
Jim Lee (link to a review by James)
Keith Josey

$501-$750
Kent Davis (link to a review by James)

$751-$1000
Ariel Carmeli (link to a review by James)

$1001-$1500
Eric Crisp (link to a review by someone more blangin than James)

$1501-$2000
Dennis Searing (link to a review by someone more blangin and patient than James)

$2001+

I may be off in my format or initial inputs, but I think the idea could be solid if people are willing to contribute to it...

Feedback please!

-J

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I buy based more on my personal experience hitting a cue than someone's printed word. I've never bought a cue on someone's spoken word. I try to have a cue in hand to try before I ever consider buying, even if it belongs to someone else. That way, I've never bought a cue and had to resell it immediately because I didn't like the way it hit/played.

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
Pushout said:
I buy based more on my personal experience hitting a cue than someone's printed word. I've never bought a cue on someone's spoken word. I try to have a cue in hand to try before I ever consider buying, even if it belongs to someone else. That way, I've never bought a cue and had to resell it immediately because I didn't like the way it hit/played.

That is certainly the best way, but a lot of people simply don't have that option. The goal here is to give people an idea of where to start looking based on their price range. A list like this can be used whether you're trying a cue in hand or buying blind.

-J

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
James said:
That is certainly the best way, but a lot of people simply don't have that option. The goal here is to give people an idea of where to start looking based on their price range. A list like this can be used whether you're trying a cue in hand or buying blind.

-J

You're right, as far as it goes. The only cue I've bought blind in recent years was a Meucci with a Black Dot shaft, to compare with Predator. Because it was a Meucci and they pretty much all play the same, I don't count it.

HIRUN526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
James said:
Hey guys! In light of all the crap going on lately with certain makers, I found myself thinking "why would someone choose this guy. Don't they know the alternatives?"

Then I realized... maybe they don't! With all the useless stickies on here, wouldn't it be great if we had a helpful buyers guide to custom cues? I frequent a guitar forum where one of the most helpful threads lists recommended guitars/amps broken down by price range. Reviews are linked where applicable.

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but personally I'd love to see something like the following. I certainly don't have the experience to fill in the list, but if people want to contribute I can edit the list per suggestions.

I know that prices vary greatly by options, but if you start with something very standard like a plain jane, you can adjust accordingly from there

Something like the following...

Approximate Price for a Plain Jane cue with 1-shaft

$300-500
Dave Albrecht (link to a review by James)
Jim Lee (link to a review by James)
Keith Josey

$501-$750
Kent Davis (link to a review by James)

$751-$1000
Ariel Carmeli (link to a review by James)

$1001-$1500
Eric Crisp (link to a review by someone more blangin than James)

$1501-$2000
Dennis Searing (link to a review by someone more blangin and patient than James)

$2001+

I may be off in my format or initial inputs, but I think the idea could be solid if people are willing to contribute to it...

Feedback please!

-J

The Blue Book of Pool Cues will give you a "loose" general idea on cue values and a bio on a huge number of cuemakers. The Blue Book is good for general cuemakers..but, as far as collectable cues and the latest trends and hot cuemakers throw the Blue Book values out the window.

The best way is to watch and keep current on what has been selling and for how much. It is always changing. Talk to cue dealers and individuals that specialize in certain cuemakers.

There is also something called do your homework and if you really love cues, learn all you can about individual cuemakers and how cues are built and the differences between construction techniques and their popularity and why.. Also talk to cuemakers and don't be shy about asking questions.

Pricing and value....as traffic will bear.

By the way if you have or know of any Searing cues for $ 1,500 to $ 2,000I will buy them. I haven't seen one in quite awhile.

rennerb6

Banned
You know,,,, I like this as a thread. I hope not, but think it will peeve off ppl & may bring liable issues. Hope not. Kool thread! ... B

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
??????????????????????????????????????

You know,,,, I like this as a thread. I hope not, but think it will peeve off ppl & may bring liable issues. Hope not. Kool thread! ... B

What the hell are you talking about?

There is already a 3rd edition custom cue blue book published.
The guy who wrote the book is ( active ) AZB member.

Maybe someone should just ask if there are any custom cue blue books.