Custom Sneaky Pete plans, am I missing anything?

chenjy9

I am about to pull the trigger on having a custom true SP made for me by Jerry Powers of Jerico Cues and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything as well as field suggestions. Here is what I am going with:
  • Macassar Ebony sleeve and points (no wrap or inlays)
  • Curly Maple forearm without a collar or rings
  • Curly Maple LD shaft without a collar or rings
  • 3/8x10 joint
  • 15" extended pro taper, 19 (maybe 18.5) oz weight, and 58" length
  • Zan Premium Medium tip, 12.5mm tip size

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am about to pull the trigger on having a custom true SP made for me by Jerry Powers of Jerico Cues and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything as well as field suggestions. Here is what I am going with:
  • 3/8x10 joint
  • Zan Premium Medium tip

Those specs look good to me, I would go with the 18.5 and a harder tip (personal preferences) but the materials should provide a simple and classic looking cue.

Also, out of curiosity, what ferrule are you going with? Material? Length?

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
  • 3/8x10 joint
  • Zan Premium Medium tip
What size shaft diameter do you play with? 13mm, 12.75mm, 12.5mm, 12mm, something else.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
  • 3/8x10 joint
  • Zan Premium Medium tip
Tip diameter?

Balance point?

chenjy9

Those specs look good to me, I would go with the 18.5 and a harder tip (personal preferences) but the materials should provide a simple and classic looking cue.

Also, out of curiosity, what ferrule are you going with? Material? Length?

Honestly, I have no idea. I have no idea about what ferrules are out there and even less about material. I was just going to just leave it up to Jerry as he mentioned he has been making awesome LD shafts for a long time.

chenjy9

Tip diameter?

Balance point?
12.5mm tip diameter

Thank you for bringing up balance point! I completely forgot about that actually, though I typically prefer my balance point closer to the back than to the neutral point.

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip diameter?

Balance point?

Excellent point on the balance point. I have two sticks at home that aren't too different in total weight but one feels way heavier because the balance point is so far forward, about 1", than the other one.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, I have no idea. I have no idea about what ferrules are out there and even less about material. I was just going to just leave it up to Jerry as he mentioned he has been making awesome LD shafts for a long time.

Roger, then it's best to go with his recommendation ;)

middleofnowhere

Registered
  • 3/8x10 joint
I would talk to the cuemaker about what they think about no collars. McDermott stopped building SPs because of shafts splitting. I was a dealer and that was my best seller till they stopped. When I called that is what I was told.

chenjy9

I would talk to the cuemaker about what they think about no collars. McDermott stopped building SPs because of shafts splitting. I was a dealer and that was my best seller till they stopped. When I called that is what I was told.
Good call out, thanks! I will ask about that.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
  • 3/8x10 joint

I am not sure if I would use a shaft without a collar on it, it's good for stability and strength there.

The rest of it is really your preference.

You may want to think about a 30" butt and 29" shaft, with many plyers gripping the cue further back and getting a bit more reach is good.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe if you have the shaft plugged with LBM or something along those lines then tapped for 3/8x10 you should be fine without collars.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you having a cue built, concerning the fact that you do NOT like more forward weighted cues, you have to then consider what cue butt size in your grip area is most comfortable for you- in other words, would you like the rear weight of the cue to be more a function of perhaps a thicker cue butt, or a rear weight bolt with a thinner cue butt. If you do not like the idea of either a thicker cue butt or a weight bolt in the rear, consider a very lightweight joint pin to keep the cue more rear weighted.

Concerning shaft collar or shaft insert, It sounded like you wanted a "true" SP- therefore, no shaft or joint collars- then consider a phenolic insert in the shaft to accept a 3/8 10 pin.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
My sneaky has no collars, but does have a brass pilot shaft and a counterbored butt. The joint is visually seamless.

In keeping with the true sneaky look, it also has a conical taper, which I did not think I would like, but it plays better than any of my other cues.

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am also having a s/p made by Randall Busbee .. The butt will be from a Duff 1 piece cue I sent him. It will have joint collars and rings for a bit less worry about splitting. I gave Randall some general specs ie around 19 oz ,12.75 mm shaft . I pretty much left it to him to build it however he thinks is best.I am pretty sure I will be able to play with it as well as I have any other cue. Seems like I have had many s/ps over the years....Never snuck up on any body.

chenjy9

Thanks for all the callouts on potential issues with some of my decisions. I have sent Jerry an email asking if I need to potentially worry about that.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
  • 3/8x10 joint
Sounds a little fancy to be a true SP

However sounds like a hell of a cue😀😀👍

Fatboy Approved <——-officially

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
  • 3/8x10 joint
I am in sneaky mode right now. Hanging up the fancies and going back to sneakies. I pick one up next week and I just had a Rounceville blank arrive Im dropping off when I pick the other up. The Rounceville blank is an inverted sneaky. Maple butt and points with an ebony forearm. Which is the opposite of the cue I pick up next week.

You should definitely look into a screw in extension. I had one made for my last cue and Im going to have that option on every cue I have made from now on. Honestly cuts your bridge usage in half.