Cutting Arvorin?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
For those of you that have posted pics of nice finished product using Arvorin,what are you using to cut it?

I tried varying the feed rate as much as I can without having auto-feed on my main repair lathe,and never took more than a .010 per side pass,and wound up with results that looked like cornbread,full of pits that no amount of sanding will correct. Even with .002/side cuts,it never came out right.

I haven't tried HSS yet,but so far I've used a freshly ground Micro 100 AR-6,as well as a fresh Cobra Carbide and an Ultra-Dex TCGX high-rake insert with a 1/64 radius,very similar to the Korloy/Toolmex inserts that have been discussed here before. All 3 of these carbides produced about the same result.

Is HSS the answer or is there some odd grind I'm not familiar with,like a shear tool? Tommy D.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find with plastics, the edge can't be too sharp. In saying that. a lot of inserts, don't actually have a very sharp edge, unless they are honed and ground. There are some ground sharp inserts out there.Check with a lupe, to see how sharp of an edge it actually is. With some materials, you can can cheat by coating them with cyano or some other finish type compound, before the last pass. Then take the final cut. If the surface speed is too high, the plastic/resin will get hot and is then weaker and will contribute to a poor surface finish. So a fairly slow speed works well, like in the 300 to 600 rpm range. I don't turn plastics fast at all and get quite good results. Others run really high speeds when turning plastics. But I don't like tears.
Neil

metalware10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
myself just made some arvorin ferrules, use normal HSS cutter, coolant when machining, slow speed. just for reference.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Arvorin

I'm no wiz at grinding tool profiles but I've not had the issue you encounter, perhaps it's not your tools, I'll suggest to use slower spindle speeds and less aggressive of a cut.
I suggest to get a manageable face cut while adjusting your feeds and speeds until your making ideal chip.
Here is a pic of a very light pass on a clean up cut of brass and arvorin combo in a ring set. you can see the characteristics of the brass chip, the arvorin ribbons and makes little "C" curleys * using TCMT type insert.
If you are familiar with making brass chips like that, that's the ideal feed/speed you'll manage for machining arvorin.
Go easy on em and try not to build up a lot of heat from tool friction...

I think your spindle speed is way to fast, sounds like your set up to cut 4140 bar stock or something of that nature...

Rob.M

Last edited: