Danny DiLiberto Stories

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I was too dumb to buy the CD Danny put out so I haven't had a chance to hear his stories.

Anyone have any good stories of him? I hear he was quite a fireball and one hell of a fighter. Seems like there should be some good tales out there about him running out on, and then punching out, some folks.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bud green said:
I was too dumb to buy the CD Danny put out so I haven't had a chance to hear his stories.

Anyone have any good stories of him? I hear he was quite a fireball and one hell of a fighter. Seems like there should be some good tales out there about him running out on, and then punching out, some folks.
He was a pro boxer, why would you assume he punches people and runs out without paying? Although he may be a little slow to pay a loan, when it comes to gambling he is right up front. You win and you will get paid no questions asked. As far as his fighting, in 40 years I have known him I never heard of him getting into a fight except in the ring. Not to say it didn't come close at times. I once saw him back down a guy around 6 ft 6 in. who was giving him trouble. He was a tush hog with some player who was giving Danny a hard time. Danny walked over to him and said, "There are other sports we can play if you like". The guy stood up and I guess the look in Danny's eyes told him this was no Bluff and he apologized and sat down. I used to see Danny fool around with Jimmy Ellis play boxing when he would come in the pool room and Danny was very very fast and hit hard for a small man. The pool room was not far from the 5th street gym where Ellis was training, the same gym where Clay would train. I used to go over and watch Clay train everyday. It is something how quick a real boxer is, a lot different then some guy in a bar who thinks he's tough. A pro will whack him out in an instant. I bought a pool room from a guy who was a former pro boxer. Not long before he died two kids tried to rob him as he was out walking his dog. He beat the S&*% of both of them even at the age of 75. You don't mess with a pro boxer.

You know the boxing ties into pool playing in a way. The edge a boxer has over the average guy is they are used to the pain of being hit and don't fear it. In a pool game often what beats a player is their fear of losing. They don't know it doesn't hurt that much and if they give it their all they may end up winning even though they may have to take a few hits to do so.

Last edited:

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Danny D.

macguy said:
He was a pro boxer, why would you assume he punches people and runs out without paying? Although he may be a little slow to pay a loan, when it comes to gambling he is right up front. You win and you will get paid no questions asked. As far as his fighting, in 40 years I have known him I never heard of him getting into a fight except in the ring. Not to say it didn't come close at times. I once saw him back down a guy around 6 ft 6 in. who was giving him trouble. He was a tush hog with some player who was giving Danny a hard time. Danny walked over to him and said, "There are other sports we can play if you like". The guy stood up and I guess the look in Danny's eyes told him this was no Bluff and he apologized and sat down. I used to see Danny fool around with Jimmy Ellis play boxing when he would come in the pool room. The pool room was not far from the 5th street gym where Ellis was training, the same gym where Clay would train. I used to go over and watch Clay train everyday. It is something how quick a real boxer is, a lot different then some guy in a bar who thinks he's tough. A pro will whack him out in an instant. I bought a pool room from a guy who was a former pro boxer. Not long before he died two kids tried to rob him as he was out walking his dog. He beat the S&*% of both of them even at the age of 75. You don't mess with a pro boxer.

Great story, i've been a fan of Danny's ever since I first heard him commentating pool matches on Accu-stats. I think i've learned more listening to him talk about situations in a pool game and what you should do than I have from the other commentators. I like Danny's method of explaining what the right shot is in a game and I bet he's a great instructor. I have an Accu-stats tape of Danny playing one pocket with Wade Crane and I am very impressed with his pool game!

SCCues

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Danny Boy

Contrary to a previous thread reply, I must mention that Danny had a penchant for getting into trouble in bars and then having to (successfully) defend himself. Most people dont know that Danny wont use a curse word --ever! When he would be confronted in some tough bar by the local tush-hog and they would start wolfing at each other, Danny's retorts would only serve to encourage the hog. While the hog is threatening Danny with every curse word he knew, Danny would reply by calling the guy a "Son of a pup." or "Gall darn you!" or "What the heck do you mean by that?" Honest, that was as profane as he would get. Naturally, the hog would think Danny was some of sissy and if by some misfortune the hog would attempt to get physical, a lightning-like right hand would beam into the hog's jaw and put him to sleep. This, as you can imagine, happened many times. I speak from personal experience. He felled many much-larger-than-he bruisers in this manner. I could do a book on stories about Danny, but he has already done one himself. A good friend, a great player, and an all-time pool character.
the Beard

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Danny was the house pro where I shot alot ( Golden 8 ball in Phoenix ).

He may have been a great shooter and held X- amount of titles, but his people skills were zero.

I can thoroughly understand why he needed those boxing skill, because he had a really, really big mouth working overtime.

I really wish I'd paid more attention to who it was ( 1990? ), but I watched Danny get his ass ate up by a kid who couldn't have been 16 years old.

Gave a bunch of us a good laugh. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy :)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
freddy the beard said:
Contrary to a previous thread reply, I must mention that Danny had a penchant for getting into trouble in bars and then having to (successfully) defend himself. Most people dont know that Danny wont use a curse word --ever! When he would be confronted in some tough bar by the local tush-hog and they would start wolfing at each other, Danny's retorts would only serve to encourage the hog. While the hog is threatening Danny with every curse word he knew, Danny would reply by calling the guy a "Son of a pup." or "Gall darn you!" or "What the heck do you mean by that?" Honest, that was as profane as he would get. Naturally, the hog would think Danny was some of sissy and if by some misfortune the hog would attempt to get physical, a lightning-like right hand would beam into the hog's jaw and put him to sleep. This, as you can imagine, happened many times. I speak from personal experience. He felled many much-larger-than-he bruisers in this manner. I could do a book on stories about Danny, but he has already done one himself. A good friend, a great player, and an all-time pool character.
the Beard

I guess it happened a few times but not by design or his instigating he was by no means a trouble maker although he is a guy that some can dislike right off the bat. I used to hang around the Congress and I remember when you were around. I also hung around the Miss-cue lounge that redneck place in Fort Lauderdale. I was good friends with Sugar Shack Johnny at the time, haven't seen him in years. You used to come in the Mis-cue everyday, we played a few times. Now Johnny could cause some trouble.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Wilson said:

He may have been a great shooter and held X- amount of titles, but his people skills were zero.

I can thoroughly understand why he needed those boxing skill, because he had a really, really big mouth working overtime.

I really wish I'd paid more attention to who it was ( 1990? ), but I watched Danny get his ass ate up by a kid who couldn't have been 16 years old.

He can be easy to dislike and he makes it hard sometimes to be his friend.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
a 16 yr old whipped Danny?

Mr. Wilson said:

When you say Danny got his ass ate up by a 16 yr old, was that pool or fighting? Either area is subject to disbelief. When Danny worked in Phoenix he was a lot younger and I cant go for a 16 yr old kid whipping him. I seen him topple big gorillas. At the Derby City Classic maybe you can confront him with that story. He's 70 now and I still wouldnt advise it. Meanwhile, plenty people like him, including me.
the Beard

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Sugar Shack Johnny Novak

I used to hang around the Congress and I remember when you were around. I also hung around the Miss-cue lounge that redneck place in Fort Lauderdale. I was good friends with Sugar Shack Johnny at the time, haven't seen him in years. You used to come in the Mis-cue everyday, we played a few times. Now Johnny could cause some trouble.[/QUOTE]

Trouble?
I went on the road with him many times. His favorite spots to hustle in, was bars where you couldn't get out with the money. The action was always good because they figured they would tush-hog the money back at the end. That was not going to happen to Sugar Shack. Guns couldn't get the money back. About midway through the action he would announce, "If you cant afford to lose you better quit now, because whatever I win I intend to keep." He loved to fight, and specialized in 250 pounders and up. He had 3 brothers crazier than him.
the Beard

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
freddy the beard said:
He had 3 brothers crazier than him.
the Beard
No wonder he learnt how to fight...

Edit: I've never seen Danny play (or fight) but he's without a doubt one of the best commentators ever, especially on straight pool. And yes, I've read his book and it was very nice with hustling and gamblins stories.

Last edited:

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
danny

freddy the beard said:
When you say Danny got his ass ate up by a 16 yr old, was that pool or fighting? Either area is subject to disbelief. When Danny worked in Phoenix he was a lot younger and I cant go for a 16 yr old kid whipping him. I seen him topple big gorillas. At the Derby City Classic maybe you can confront him with that story. He's 70 now and I still wouldnt advise it. Meanwhile, plenty people like him, including me.
the Beard
Tap Tap, Freddie. He never tells a lie or uses a cuss word,and can and will back up what he says.
Leonard 'Blud" Bludworth

ps say hello to wayne for me.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, despite his mouth.....we'd never have allowed it to get physical.

He was ours....he was ours to love, hate or piss off, but nobody would have allowed him harm ( as if ).

I had said I wished I'd paid better attention to who the kid was, in a pool sense, because I really didn't appreciate the significance of watching him get taught how to play pool by a kid.

I'd have liked to know if he ever amounted to anything.

{edit}

I want to add, this isn't something I heard about, I was there.

As his friend, you can maybe appreciate something more about him than I know, but what I KNOW about him left a horrible taste.

He was arrogant and snobbish. He never had as much as a nice word to us and certainly never played with us, as we were beneath him. He was abrasive and argumentative and Lord help us , NEVER wrong about anything.

As far as his super human ability to fight and defend himself at a pool table, these are legendary. Every joe had a story about how good he was at both.

I can think of at least one 16 year old kid....RIGHT NOW, who could probably take everyone who'll EVER read this to task.

Kid named WU. Who's interested in backing Danny against him?

As far as confronting him?
I didn't like him then and haven't had a reason to change my opinion. When it happened, it wasn't apprently important, why so now?

It was good for our use at the time to see him brought down a notch.

The only reason it mattered at all was because of how badly he treated us.

Last edited:

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Punks and drunks

I was in contact with Danny when he worked at the room in Phoenix. As far as never playing with anybody, didn't Danny give a FREE weekly seminar in the tournament pit (every thursday, I think), where players could play and interact with him and ask him any pool related question they wanted for a couple of hours? Danny also told me of the trouble he would have late at night, since the place was open 24 hrs, with punks and drunks that tried to bully everybody. Are these the people that Danny didn't respond well to? I will concede one point to you, Wilson, Danny wasn't very speedy when it came to admitting he was wrong about anything. You were probably not too far off with the other character flaws either. But those were the things that made him Danny. We of his generation love him.
the Beard

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
freddy the beard said:
the Beard

I do not recall of any physical fight or getting beat by a 16 year old in a pool game. during that period.I lived in phoenix from Oct 1988 to Oct 1990.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Christ, I meant running out as in he ran 100 and out at straight pool or a couple racks of nine ball and then his opponent got chirpy at him like people do when they lose, macguy. I didn't mean he robbed them by force. Sorry for the semantic ambiguity.

I must have Danny on 50 videos doing commentary and he seems like an interesting guy. He was one of the best back in the day and has played everyone. He definately is opinionated and I can see how that could bother some people, but so what? Can't take it, then don't hang around him.

The guy is 70 though, what the hell does saying he can't beat the 16 year old world champion prove? There are a lot of young talents that can beat ANYONE when their on these days...Bergmen, Morra,Wu, this 15 yr old Chris kid who is making waves.

We'll see if their whole careers matches his when they're done; he also was a good one pocket player.

Anyone know where I can get his CD or book? I thought he just put out a CD audio book but if there's a book (as in paper) I'd love to buy it. Thanks everyone (including macguy) for your responses, especially you Freddie.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Freddy, anywhere that is open 24/7, has pool tables and sells liquor is going to draw more than just straight arrow, bow tie, wingtip shoe wearing patrons.

Yes, there were scum of the earth around. Do I or did I consider myself to be this? No. Did I consider the people I knew and liked to be this? No.

We were treated none the better regardless.

Other than some bigwigs and David Lee and Scott or Steve Jazkowicz I never saw him in the pit with the regulars, which is what we were.

You were his friend....From that I must assume he treated you much better than everyone else who had the pleasure of knowing him.

You have your memories of him, I have mine.

Somewhere between there is the truth.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
bud green said:
The guy is 70 though, what the hell does saying he can't beat the 16 year old world champion prove? There are a lot of young talents that can beat ANYONE when their on these days...Bergmen, Morra,Wu, this 15 yr old Chris kid who is making waves.

The reply was in context, because it was made to sound so improbable that it happened.

Not that it mattered (s).

The point was just that he was so misserable to us, it was good to see that he IS NOT immortal. It would have been just as productive for our self esteem to see him slip on a bananna peel. That's all.

There is not an equation trying to be made that he can't beat a 16 year old or anything like that. He's was ( is ) a very capable pool player, just not a great example of humanity.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
bud green said:

I have a copy that Danny gave me last year at the Derby City Classic, but I won't copy it out of respect for Danny. He made little or nothing out of his book, and he even pledged part of any profits to Blud and his family back when Mrs. Blud was in bad shape.

Danny has been a good friend of mine for about 25 years. First met him when on the road with Gary Spaeth. We spend a good bit of the DCC together every year and I've probably heard every story Danny has to tell. I treasure the times we've spent! Danny is one of the most interesting people I've ever known. He's "been there and done that"! Besides being a pretty good baseball player in his youth, he Boxed professionally with 13 undefeated pro fights under the management of Angelo Dundee, until a doctor treating a broken hand told him he should find another way to make a living. He was also a great bowler, having once bowled a perfect 300 game and ran 300 balls in straight pool the same afternoon! I'd like to bet that no one EVER does that again!

Danny lives in Miami now and spends a lot of time at the Dog Track there. I think he told me they took the poolroom out of the dog track so he may not be playing as much now. I've been wanting to take him up on his invitation to his Italian dinner he cooks each Sunday. Gotta make a trip to Miami I guess!

Freddie, Don't know if you know me or not? I was Gary Spaeth's partner for years. I was with him about 20 years ago when it came down to You and Gary in the finals of the bank tournament at the Chicago Billiards Cafe. Bugs came in just as the finals started. Story was he got locked up in Detroit and was late for the tournament. Bugs and Gary gambled afterwards. Greg Sullivan and I staked Gary.

For the record, Freddie, I think the commentary you and Danny have done together for AccuStats is some of the best out there! I like Billy too, but he sometimes comes across as trying too hard to sound like a professional announcer. You and Danny are more spontaneous and witty!

just more hot air!

Sherm

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Danny Boy

This is an excerpt from my upcoming book, The GosPool According To The Beard:

Most Talented Pool Player:

Probably Danny Diliberto from Buffalo, NY; he was a 200-ball runner, was undefeated in 14 pro fights (12-0-2). He was a 200 average bowler who once bowled a perfect 300 game. He was a great baseball player with a phenomenal throwing arm. He could throw a golf ball farther than anybody in the world. Danny could make a field goal on a football field with a golf ball by throwing it 100 yards though the goal post uprights.. He won the money doing that at Johnston City, IL. in the 60s. Later, he trapped Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle at a Ft. Lauderdale bar during Yankee spring training. He bet Maris he could throw a golf ball farther than Roger could. He won the bet from an amazed Maris by throwing the ball all the way across the waters of the Ft. Lauderdale Causeway on Highway A1A. If I remember right, Roger didn't even take his turn and tried to renege and call off the bet. Danny, who had a punch that could down an elephant, stood his ground and finally got paid.