David Grossman...???

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Highdiver at Marineland?
Details...you just became even more interesting.
Screenshot_20231017-192147.jpg

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Highdiver at Marineland?
Details...you just became even more interesting.
I was a professional diver and I worked for the Great American High Diving team. They did shows all over the world and that summer I was assigned to Marineland. Technically I wasn't a high diver when I got there. As the rookie I was the fire diver. But over the summer I became a high diver and remained one throughout the rest of my time with Great American over the next few years.

This video is from 1991 which was a few years after I was there. I noticed that they changed the fire dive to a separate ladder. As the fire diver I had to spend a lot of time on prep and cleanup after. That's why the rookies had to do it.

Otherwise the show is pretty much exactly as it was when I did it.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave lives in Jacksonville area. Plays real good. I wouldn't call him a hustler though. Nice guy, will gamble. Honest and reliable.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for reference, can anybody Fargo his better days?
Huh?? Can't retro-actively FR someone. Well i guess you could IF you had access to EVERY game he played back then. So no, it can't be done. If making a wag based on what i'm seeing/reading he wasn't a champion but no run-of-the-mill shortstop either. Probably low 700's in his prime. Again, purely a wag.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Huh?? Can't retro-actively FR someone. Well i guess you could IF you had access to EVERY game he played back then. So no, it can't be done. If making a wag based on what i'm seeing/reading he wasn't a champion but no run-of-the-mill shortstop either. Probably low 700's in his prime. Again, purely a wag.
With match scores, FR could be developed retro, ya don't think?

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
750 or so would be more accurate

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top players would be top players regardless of their generation. Ralph Greenleaf would be a pool superstar if he played today.
Imo, that means they would play as well as necessary to get to the top, irrespective of era.

It is a general statement- whatever (level of skill) it takes to win against whomever I gotta play- not a statement about the measurement of a specific player' proficiency.

The best pros of today are better than the best pros of yesterday were. In all sports.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imo, that means they would play as well as necessary to get to the top, irrespective of era.

It is a general statement- whatever (level of skill) it takes to win against whomever I gotta play- not a statement about the measurement of a specific player' proficiency.

The best pros of today are better than the best pros of yesterday were. In all sports.
I watched an old video on YouTube. I think it was ronnie allen vs Grady mathews. Grady hits em REAL straight, with a sweet stroke too. Some of those guys would keep up just fine today.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched an old video on YouTube. I think it was ronnie allen vs Grady mathews. Grady hits em REAL straight, with a sweet stroke too. Some of those guys would keep up just fine today.
I think we are both talking about apples now...

I think either the improvements in the break shot OR in safety play and subsequent responses are enough to put the current top ten solidly ahead of any other decade's top ten.

It is a heavily knowledge-based game and what was secret 30-50 yrs ago is now common.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we are both talking about apples now...

I think either the improvements in the break shot OR in safety play and subsequent responses are enough to put the current top ten solidly ahead of any other decade's top ten.

It is a heavily knowledge-based game and what was secret 30-50 yrs ago is now common.
Put the current top 10 on shag cloth with a light cue ball and see how their game looks then.
They'll still be world class, but they will have the cue ball get away from them on draw shots more often. They'll miss more balls on force follow shots because they have to crush the ball to get decent follow. And they'll miss more balls because the object ball throws more on English shots.
Pool has gotten easier with simonis cloth and measle cue balls.

Last edited: