De-constructing everything!

Guy Manges

Registered
Ok thought a clean thread for this would be warranted.

Most would agree these are the fundamentals.

1. Stance (foot placement)
  2. Bridge
  3. Elbow (pendulum etc etc)
  4. Shoulder (not dropping before contact)
  5. Head (don't move it)
  6. Chin, Chest on cue (snooker knows best)
  7. Delivery of cue straight through the cueball
etc etc we all know them whether we employ them. So I decided to try shooting using absolutely none of them.

1. My Stance purposely twisted all up sometimes with legs crossed
  2. Bridge hand sliding at contact
  3. Elbow not at right angle or inline with cuestick
  4. Shoulder dropping before contact
  5. Head bobbing all over the place
  6. Chin way above the cue stick
  7. Cueing with unintended back hand english...practice strokes are pointing at multiple points on the cueball, keep in mind my bridge hand is sliding during all of this.

Anyway the results are that you can still run a rack (starting with ball in hand) of 10 ball on a 9 ft table with 4 1/4" pockets. If you don't believe me then try it yourself. This isn't really that surprising when you consider the drill (Earl) where you pot a rolling object ball. Think about the quick mental calculations required to do this...and its not even that difficult for our brains to time and "aim" it. Add a rolling cueball for even more fun btw.

This goes with some of the videos on snooker I have been watching where they put the importance on potting the ball, not being obsessed and distracted by going through all steps of a pre-shot routine. The best pool players basically have the same cuing as snooker except for the foot placement. Obviously shooting this way is not nearly as consistent, but it's interesting how well one can shoot even when they abandon the fundamentals.
Fats did the rolling ob's over and over all the time and many before him... where does all the fundamentals go, all over the place... Guy

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main point is that the priority in pool is successful execution. That has to be the constant and paramount focus.

If, as part of the strategy to execute, developing fundamentals plays a role, then fine. And often the best way to develop our fundamentals is to continue to focus on execution and let them organically evolve to accomplish our task at hand. On occasion it makes sense to put deliberate focus on one part of your fundamentals for a short time if the organic approach isn't working.

Where the danger occurs for many players is when they allow good fundamentals to become the primary focus of their pool journey. It happens easily. They say "If my fundamentals become stronger my execution will become stronger", and just like THAT their focus leaves execution. They go down weird rabbit holes trying to build themselves into a robot with the belief it will pay off someday. They take the flow out of the game and try to manually control things that are too complicated to consciously control.

I think these are the points the original poster is trying to make. Fundamentals are important but aren't the totality of pool, and not everything has to be consciously micro-managed.
You are sadly mistaken. The op only has one goal, to sow discord and rile people at him for attention, nothing more. If he was halfway serious about any of the BS he touts he would tout it with video evidence and challenge opposition. As soon as he gets his rocks off with this thread he will move on to something equally ridiculous.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but I believe that developing great fundamentals is the fastest track to great success in almost any sport, including billiards. Yes, one can overcome unorthodox fundamentals with natural abilities AND thousands of hours of pure play and competition- no doubt- many great self taught sports figures and musicians throughout history.

However, great consistencies are most usually born out of great fundamentals - the now present textbook ( some call robotic) strokes of our present European pool players will surpass by miles and miles the old American historic way of learning pool by just showing up at the pool hall frequently .

The fastest track , when one's play begins to break down, is to understand where the breakdown is occurring and how to right the ship.

Guy Manges

Registered
Years ago some nice person put window pain in my beer and I played pool with the wall, the stories I heard later was I should stay away from a pool box at all cost... Guy

dquarasr

Registered

Anyway the results are that you can still run a rack (starting with ball in hand) of 10 ball on a 9 ft table with 4 1/4" pockets. If you don't believe me then try it yourself.
Yeah, no, I can’t. I can’t do it whether tossing fundamentals or not. 😄
Where the danger occurs for many players is when they allow good fundamentals to become the primary focus of their pool journey. It happens easily. They say "If my fundamentals become stronger my execution will become stronger", and just like THAT their focus leaves execution. They go down weird rabbit holes trying to build themselves into a robot with the belief it will pay off someday. They take the flow out of the game and try to manually control things that are too complicated to consciously control.
oh, hell yeah. Been there, still there.
But if you make your sole focus your PSR and fundamentals, you switch from thinking about what you are doing (executing a shot) to thinking about how you are doing it (executing a prescribed motor plan). .
I need to print this out and make a poster of it tp hang on the wall next to my table. Guilty as charged.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main point is that the priority in pool is successful execution. That has to be the constant and paramount focus.

If, as part of the strategy to execute, developing fundamentals plays a role, then fine. And often the best way to develop our fundamentals is to continue to focus on execution and let them organically evolve to accomplish our task at hand. On occasion it makes sense to put deliberate focus on one part of your fundamentals for a short time if the organic approach isn't working.

I think these are the points the original poster is trying to make. Fundamentals are important but aren't the totality of pool, and not everything has to be consciously micro-managed.
Sorry, I would say that developing great fundamentals IS the strategy to great execution- how in the world do you expect great execution without developing great fundamentals first? The IDEA is to develop the fundamentals to the point that one is NOT consciously thinking about them during execution. The only focus during a pool stroke should be on the OB aim point- period- everything else has to be developed until it is a natural part of each individual approach to each and every shot.

Of course nothing needs to be or should be "micro managed" and of course fundamentals are not the totality of pool - that is just common sense. However, the basis of great play should be formulated for beginners with great fundamentals that become second nature- then and only then will all of the necessary focus end up where it belongs- on the shot execution, that final split second when the cue begins to move forward on the final stroke- period!

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see these threads and there are only a few that do this exact robotic movements on tour. The rest are repetitive and repeatable but by no means are they robotic. Plenty of great players shoot this "perfect" idea full of holes (pun intended).

Yup:

Without a video i dont believe you
Seeing is believing
You guys didn't believe me when I said I could run a 9 ball rack faster than Luc Salvas and then I showed you a video...just trust me on this one because I'm too lazy to get out the head cam if I could even find it. If you really don't believe me then go ahead and do it yourself.

I agree, to an extent. However to master organic pool (like a Francisco or Busti) takes a bazillion hours.

If you learn how to step into the shot and deliver a somewhat straight stroke you will probably always have that skill.

I 1000% agree at some point just play. I have seen several instructors who do not break a fargo 575. They look great, but that is it.

Then there are guys like Russian Kenny poking his way to a Fargo 700.

I would rather poke my way to a 700 than look great at a 575 (if those are my only options)

I don't understand what's wrong with Russian Kenny's form? He gets down on the shot and shoots. You don't have to feather it 50 times ...just get the tip close to the cueball...confirm and go lol.

ok I see it now...he jumps up on this shot. Yes you do need to mimimize movement to be consistent. My experiment wasn't to say fundamentals don't matter but that making the ball does. If you get down on the shot, and stay down, the rest of the fundamentals will likely take care of themselves.

Last edited:

Podunker

A lot of sensible posts here and I'm probably just repeating some things already said.

Fundamentals are extremely important to reach our personal capability peaks of competition. Some of the real naturals fall into them better than others. Still need tweaking. Look at the Mosconi euro team. Always working on that stuff. Depends on how far you want to go. The problem lies when the process overwhelms the artistic execution of the athlete in competition. The fundamentals need to be built into muscle memory and the subconscious as a foundation. You definitely don't need to be muddled by 15 steps of pre shot in competition.

Your brain is better free of thoughts of the physical mechanics while executing the shot in competition. You've done that work. Yet a simple setup process that keys back to all your work helps to slow down competitive anxiety. Find the line, step into it, aim and fire. This ain't just pool. This goes in golf, shooting foul shots, hitting a baseball, target sports (riflery and archery) etc.

If you start thinking of your mechanics in competition you are screwed. Your brain gets a voice of its own (literal inception) and suddenly tells you you're not comfortable. Your grip ain't right, stance off, elbows dropping etc. The simple consistent set up helps cut through that sh+t and is a bridge to the work you may have done to the physical part of your game. Everybody that ever competed in something that meant anything to them has experienced this.

Everybody's fundamentals and set ups can certainly be quite different and unique. Mike Mosconi basically said same thing I did, maybe better. Russian Kenny did the same thing on each shot in the rack I saw him. I don't think the natural guy is all wrong. I find him kind of interesting. He must've grooved some solid stuff somewhere if he's making balls from while sitting in a recliner. Question for natural. How would you teach a new player with no fundamentals.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I would say that developing great fundamentals IS the strategy to great execution- how in the world do you expect great execution without developing great fundamentals first? The IDEA is to develop the fundamentals to the point that one is NOT consciously thinking about them during execution. The only focus during a pool stroke should be on the OB aim point- period- everything else has to be developed until it is a natural part of each individual approach to each and every shot.

Of course nothing needs to be or should be "micro managed" and of course fundamentals are not the totality of pool - that is just common sense. However, the basis of great play should be formulated for beginners with great fundamentals that become second nature- then and only then will all of the necessary focus end up where it belongs- on the shot execution, that final split second when the cue begins to move forward on the final stroke- period!
This is the common sense of it. One of the follies of forums - people gotta contribute or just tribute to these threads, voice whatever's on their minds about it, except my previous and following words of course. :D

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of sensible posts here and I'm probably just repeating some things already said...

...Your brain is better free of thoughts of the physical mechanics while executing the shot in competition. You've done that work. Yet a simple setup process that keys back to all your work helps to slow down competitive anxiety. Find the line, step into it, aim and fire. This ain't just pool. This goes in golf, shooting foul shots, hitting a baseball, target sports (riflery and archery) etc.

If you start thinking of your mechanics in competition you are screwed. Your brain gets a voice of its own (literal inception) and suddenly tells you you're not comfortable. Your grip ain't right, stance off, elbows dropping etc. The simple consistent set up helps cut through that sh+t and is a bridge to the work you may have done to the physical part of your game. Everybody that ever competed in something that meant anything to them has experienced this...
Agree with the omitted parts not so much this last part. I'm of the opinion that you should be versed well enough that you don't lose yourself in "the flow". Very often you just gotta attack the score or bleed to death. Doing this requires the kind of over preparation that allows you to get back up and on, in "battle worthy" form. Means you gotta have the centralization and wits to find the balance if you lose it.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
You guys didn't believe me when I said I could run a 9 ball rack faster than Luc Salvas and then I showed you a video...just trust me on this one because I'm too lazy to get out the head cam if I could even find it. If you really don't believe me then go ahead and do it yourself.
Lmao, that video started mid rack, and it showed a miss, probably not the only miss of the rack too

Lmao, that video started mid rack, and it showed a miss, probably not the only miss of the rack too
You do realize that I set up the balls in the same layout as they were for Luc Salvas right?

After the break, there was the 2,3,5,6,8,9. The video started when Luc Salvas shot the 2 ball. The 6 ball was pocket speed and should have dropped if the shelfs were right. It was also my first and only attempt because he only got one attempt. Let's see if you can do any better.

The point wasn't just to run out balls faster than him...it was to run the same layout faster than him. Doesn't anybody else do this? Layout the balls like some pro had and see how you fair, and how fast...try it left handed etc?

Last edited:

WobblyStroke

I'm with
Agree with the omitted parts not so much this last part. I'm of the opinion that you should be versed well enough that you don't lose yourself in "the flow". Very often you just gotta attack the score or bleed to death. Doing this requires the kind of over preparation that allows you to get back up and on, in "battle worthy" form. Means you gotta have the centralization and wits to find the balance if you lose it.
I'm with Podunker here. While it is important to be able to diagnose what's going wrong and fix it, it is often best in competition to forget about it and do your best to do what you intended to do before you biffed it on the last attempt. Save the tinkering for the practice room. Sure we will have a swing thought or two to fall back on, but thinking about mechanics while executing a shot is absolute self-destruction.
Podunker's last paragraph is actually spot on for what I see in players of all sports. A friend of mine who played pro basketball in Spain once told me his favorite go-to when a guy was torching him was to complement his mechanics and say he looks like so-and-so....anything to make the guy start thinking of his mechanics. Maybe he could trick him into thinking about the how instead of the what. And the studies on this are clear: when subjects are externally-focused on outcomes, they greatly outperform those who are internally-focused on what body parts are doing and in which sequence.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1. Stance (foot placement)
  2. Bridge
  3. Elbow (pendulum etc etc)
  4. Shoulder (not dropping before contact)
  5. Head (don't move it)
  6. Chin, Chest on cue (snooker knows best)
  7. Delivery of cue straight through the cueball
etc etc we all know them whether we employ them. So I decided to try shooting using absolutely none of them.

1. My Stance purposely twisted all up sometimes with legs crossed
  2. Bridge hand sliding at contact
  3. Elbow not at right angle or inline with cuestick
  4. Shoulder dropping before contact
  5. Head bobbing all over the place
  6. Chin way above the cue stick
  7. Cueing with unintended back hand english...practice strokes are pointing at multiple points on the cueball, keep in mind my bridge hand is sliding during all of this.

Anyway the results are that you can still run a rack (starting with ball in hand) of 10 ball on a 9 ft table with 4 1/4" pockets. If you don't believe me then try it yourself. This isn't really that surprising when you consider the drill (Earl) where you pot a rolling object ball. Think about the quick mental calculations required to do this...and its not even that difficult for our brains to time and "aim" it. Add a rolling cueball for even more fun btw.

This goes with some of the videos on snooker I have been watching where they put the importance on potting the ball, not being obsessed and distracted by going through all steps of a pre-shot routine. The best pool players basically have the same cuing as snooker except for the foot placement. Obviously shooting this way is not nearly as consistent, but it's interesting how well one can shoot even when they abandon the fundamentals.

Can’t get back the time I spent reading this post. Ever.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with

I'm with Podunker here. While it is important to be able to diagnose what's going wrong and fix it, it is often best in competition to forget about it and do your best to do what you intended to do before you biffed it on the last attempt. Save the tinkering for the practice room. Sure we will have a swing thought or two to fall back on, but thinking about mechanics while executing a shot is absolute self-destruction.
Podunker's last paragraph is actually spot on for what I see in players of all sports. A friend of mine who played pro basketball in Spain once told me his favorite go-to when a guy was torching him was to complement his mechanics and say he looks like so-and-so....anything to make the guy start thinking of his mechanics. Maybe he could trick him into thinking about the how instead of the what. And the studies on this are clear: when subjects are externally-focused on outcomes, they greatly outperform those who are internally-focused on what body parts are doing and in which sequence.
Obviously I'm not advocating pulling off to the side to fix something. I am saying you should be versed enough in pool and your technique that you _can_ deliberately filter the sloppiness. The trouble is people go in running on whatever is running. Those people may indeed play "their best" on auto. They know little else. The hypothetical pro segment of the field OTOH can produce a far broader version of pool by default. 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration - preparing in this case - is the key.