Deflection (squirt) different because of ball or cloth?

dquarasr

Registered
Since Covid-19 reared its ugly head about a year ago, I've played only on my home table, Simonis 860, a number of years old now, probably *way* slower than it was when it was new. Tonight, four weeks after my second Covid vaccination, I played in my local hall, on tables that appeared to have very new cloths; I was meeting a prospective 9-ball team, and was invited to practice.

Wow. I noticed on a few shots with side spin I got huge deflection, much more than I had been getting on my home table. So, my question, is this more a function of the cue ball, the cloth, combination of both? Which contributes to deflection more, the type of CB or the cloth (assuming the same cue stick)?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Which contributes to deflection more, the type of CB or the cloth (assuming the same cue stick)?
Neither affects deflection directly, but if either or both are more slippery the CB might swerve less, which would look like more deflection.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Neither affects deflection directly, but if either or both are more slippery the CB might swerve less, which would look like more deflection.

pj
chgo
Interesting... So a lighter CB will not deflect (squirt) more than a heavier one...?

Considering all other variables being equal....

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Making the cue ball heavier is roughly the same as making the stick lighter, so a heavier cue ball will deflect less. Usually that variable is not available. Here is Dr. Dave's page that discusses it: https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/ball/weight/
I was trying to lead PJ to the same response...

CB weight has a definitive effect on the amount of squirt you can expect. It's the single greatest issue I had when occassionally playing on older barboxes that used weighted CBs

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Bob Jewett:
Making the cue ball heavier is roughly the same as making the stick lighter, so a heavier cue ball will deflect less. Usually that variable is not available. Here is Dr. Dave's page that discusses it: https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/ball/weight/
Interesting... So a lighter CB will not deflect (squirt) more than a heavier one...?

Considering all other variables being equal....
You're both right, of course - I didn't think CB weight was a variable the OP had in mind.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

dquarasr

Registered
I was looking for any explanation. Mostly to confirm I wasn’t crazy. I mean the amount of deflection was very significant and MUCH larger than I experience at my home table.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I was looking for any explanation. Mostly to confirm I wasn’t crazy. I mean the amount of deflection was very significant and MUCH larger than I experience at my home table.
If it was due to a lighter cue ball you might also have noticed it drew more and followed less.

pj
chgo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The stroke adjustment to the new cloth almost certainly comes into play. Having to hit softer may have affected linearity one way or the other. IOW you may be hitting less accurately or right in the sweet spot, differently than at home regardless.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm forced to believe the cloth 'slick-ness' has little to do with actual squirt. I mean, friction is friction, so it must play a role on some miniscule level. However it's more likely a player's perception of the return swerve on slicker cloth that seems to manifest as more squirt.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Could be adrenaline from being cooped up to being out with others.

Jeff Livingston