Dennis Orcollo vs SVB (Race to 75) 9 ball (22-24 Sep)

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was spent.

I had already booked my bets when it changed to 75. I stood by the action as I still liked SVB to win, but as I said I didn’t like it as much. Coming off those last 2 matches I knew he was subject to not be as sharp as he was last week. So the longer format certainly favored Denis. If they would have pushed it to race to 100 then I wouldn’t have stayed in those bets as that much of change would in this case switch Denis to being the favorite.

Format is a big part of betting pool, sometimes it’s bigger than other times.

If this would have been one race to 21 or 25 SVB was a 1-2 rack favorite. That’s the line I’d have out on it. In theory. A race to 100 probably Denis would be a 4-5 game favorite. Only this week because SVB had played so much.

As I mentioned if they were both fresh I’d take SVB in a race to 100 and make him the favorite. Next time they play, I don’t know. I’ll figure that out then.

Best
Fatboy <———-got lucky today
Are there any other Americans playing in these challenge matches regularly? Not necessarily high profile like this, but anywhere at all? I know Sky played a couple of high profile challenges last year, and I know Bergman used to seem like he would play anyone at any time.

Seems quiet for the Americans. I don't do Social Media, so I may just not be keeping up with it well. Maybe they are just playing locally or on the down low, but outside of tourneys, how are Thorpe, Sky, Tyler, Chris, Corey, etc. staying sharp.

It's a shame Mike D. and Justin don't compete anymore.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any other Americans playing in these challenge matches regularly? Not necessarily high profile like this, but anywhere at all? I know Sky played a couple of high profile challenges last year, and I know Bergman used to seem like he would play anyone at any time.

Seems quiet for the Americans. I don't do Social Media, so I may just not be keeping up with it well. Maybe they are just playing locally or on the down low, but outside of tourneys, how are Thorpe, Sky, Tyler, Chris, Corey, etc. staying sharp.

It's a shame Mike D. and Justin don't compete anymore.
I’m the same zero social media.

I know Oscar has played a few pretty big matches, and Morra(technically he’s Canadian-but close enough) has played big recently. JRB in Vegas and Tedder were playing nose bleed high a year ago.

I heard Shaw has a 10-20k set coming up. Idk if it’s public yet or not. So I’ll leave that alone.

But seems like there could be more that’s for sure.

Even lower tier guys playing 5k sets would be cool.

Fatboy🎰

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m the same zero social media.

I know Oscar has played a few pretty big matches, and Morra(technically he’s Canadian-but close enough) has played big recently. JRB in Vegas and Tedder were playing nose bleed high a year ago.

I heard Shaw has a 10-20k set coming up. Idk if it’s public yet or not. So I’ll leave that alone.

But seems like there could be more that’s for sure.

Even lower tier guys playing 5k sets would be cool.

Fatboy🎰
My buddy played a race with 20k in the middle in Huntsville this past weekend. He's a 650-ish FR, so nowhere near pro speed, but not afraid to bet it up. Started out on the big table and ended up on the BB.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My buddy played a race with 20k in the middle in Huntsville this past weekend. He's a 650-ish FR, so nowhere near pro speed, but not afraid to bet it up. Started out on the big table and ended up on the BB.
I don’t have a Fargo but from what I’ve seen online I’d guess at my best I was 675ish +/-20 and this is a absolute guess. With a lot of experience. Maybe I’m worse, who knows? Doesn’t matter, point is I love action like that-when I was playing.

Anyways yes I really respect that. Guys in the South ain’t scared to gamble it up. $50 one pocket for a guy in a $2500/mo apt here in Los Angeles is big action 😡🤬

Match up right, take a shot and tee it up

Gambol!!!

I’d like to have been there, rail action too!

YukonCornelius

Registered
Seems to me Shane's energy started fading and lost a little confidence in day 2 after scratching on the break those 3 times in a row. Then he started day 3 with that string of 3 more scratches. Whereas his breaking on Day 1 and the beginning of Day 2 was a master-clinic. Some of the best I've seen.

Badpenguin

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Seems to me Shane's energy started fading and lost a little confidence in day 2 after scratching on the break those 3 times in a row. Then he started day 3 with that string of 3 more scratches. Whereas his breaking on Day 1 and the beginning of Day 2 was a master-clinic. Some of the best I've seen.
Shane fouled on the break 8 times: once on Day 1, 5 times on Day 2, and twice on Day 3. He fouled twice in a row on both Day 2 and Day 3, but never 3 times in a row.

YukonCornelius

Registered
Thanks for the clarification, AtLarge. My terrible memory. It seemed there was a shift of momentum that occurred on day two, around the same time as a string of scratches on the break, as you pointed out, not back to back to back, but I do recall them being within a few racks of one another.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Guys in the South ain’t scared to gamble it up.
That's because there isn't much else to do in The South!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Folks spend most of their money on two things there: Repairing their property after Mother Nature screwed them, and gambling.
Hell, living in The South is basically gambling!

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I don't respect gamblers lol. I respect people who are hardworking and have achieved greatness because of it.
I'm a guy who has worked hard to achieve my goal of being a top player, in recreation and entry-fee competitions.
That said, I'll take a fool's money if he challenges me. But I don't actively pursue big money matches. I'll adjust your ego, but I'm secure enough not to have to prove my ability further than my results in leagues/tournaments. And I am highly respected because of this.

Remember this event, for example, watching the fool Chip Compton, a family man, challenge probably the world's best player at-this-moment, Fedor Gorst, to a huge money match? That doesn't make me say "OMG, Chip is so brave!" lol.
It makes me think "Damn, what an idiot with an inflated ego".
If you respect people like Chip, I feel sorry for your insecurity and values...
Respecting unnecessary risk-takers, especially folks who are responsible for taking care of a family, speaks volumes about YOUR values.
I can separate gambling/money from pool and still enjoy the game, can you?

Last edited:

Badpenguin

I don't respect gamblers lol. I respect people who are hardworking and have achieved greatness because of it.
I'm a guy who has worked hard to achieve my goal of being a top player, in recreation and entry-fee competitions.
That said, I'll take a fool's money if he challenges me. But I don't actively pursue big money matches. I'll adjust your ego, but I'm secure enough not to have to prove my ability further than my results in leagues/tournaments. And I am highly respected because of this.

Remember this event, for example, watching the fool Chip Compton, a family man, challenge probably the world's best player at-this-moment, Fedor Gorst, to a huge money match? That doesn't make me say "OMG, Chip is so brave!" lol.
Respecting unnecessary risk-takers, especially folks who are responsible for taking care of a family, speaks volumes about YOUR values.
It is my understanding that most of these folks aren't risking their own money, it is their backer's money. They aren't risking anything.

Just saying.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting take. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but it does not have to be an "either/or" proposition. You can respect hard working people, as most do, and still respect those willing to test their nerve, focus, and resolve in a high stakes match.
congrats. It is very rewarding when hard work comes to fruition.
You sound like just the man to "adjust Chip's ego" in a big money match. When can we expect it? Should be a fun one to sweat.
Again, your opinion. A highly presumptuous one, but you are welcome to it. You Must be super talented to know so much about anonymous folks on an internet forum.
Sounds like you take it a lot more personally than I do.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I respect people who take calculated risks. Not degenerate gamblers

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nice to see that Orcullo is in good form. I got to see him play at the UK Open in May, and he was in very strong form there. He just happened to run into Francisco Sanchez-Ruiz, who was in dead stroke during their match in the single elimination stage.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
SVB takes early lead 2-0

So far In these long race matches organised by Sharks, Orcollo lost his last matches vs Internationals while SVB won his last 2 matches v Filipinos
Dennis Orcollo
Lost to David Alcaide 59-63
Lost to Ko Pin Yi 60-63

SVB
Beat Johann Chua 63-48
Beat Jericho Banares 63-51
Where are they playing?

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's because there isn't much else to do in The South!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Folks spend most of their money on two things there: Repairing their property after Mother Nature screwed them, and gambling.
Hell, living in The South is basically gambling!
In the south, can confirm.

Many of the locals have wheels on their house so when they're required by law to stay within a certain distance from their home, they move it closer to the pool room.