Deuel is in the Final 16 in the WPC

if i remember correctly he won the game with the broken shaft incident. and the "you're people are fools" spat was at the IPT to nick van den berg i think it was. and in any case, how you can argue with a guy who comes out with a line like that i'll never know. it's been deservedly immortalised in my signature for a long time!
 
worriedbeef said:
if i remember correctly he won the game with the broken shaft incident. and the "you're people are fools" spat was at the IPT to nick van den berg i think it was. and in any case, how you can argue with a guy who comes out with a line like that i'll never know. it's been deservedly immortalised in my signature for a long time!
Actually he made the fools comment at multiple events. Yes he did it to Van Den Bergs family at the IPT North American Open, that was truely disgusting and had a nationwide broadcast of the spectacle, but he said the same thing about an entire country (europe) at the Mosconi from 2005 I think. Said it during an interview and then started yelling it at them. That too had a large broadcast in europe originally and then in US at a later date.

Doesnt matter if he won or not... fact is people are gonna remember the negative more then the positive.

The thing that baffles me is that I still find myself rooting for him and wanting him to do better. When he starts acting out though I start cheering for the opponent. I just wish he would lose the attitude and adapt.

EDIT EDIT EDIT

I remember the comment at the Mosconi... It wasn't "fools" it was "You suck, all of London sucks". Sorry, got a little confused since this stuff happens all the time.
 
Last edited:
i know for certain a couple of friends plus myself merely laughed at the "london sucks" tirade. "sucks" is an extremely american term (said by an english person it's actually quite funny) and coupled with his distinctive high pitched american accent i can say for sure pretty much that few english people were offended. the general consensus is pretty much that he's funny to watch on a tirade, he's an eccentric, and he's sort of the bad boy, maybe a john mcenroe of pool.

i just say this because i believe to often people seem overly offended at earl's antics. using terms like "disgusting behaviour" when really if you were going to say something "immature" or "silly" would be more accurate.
 
I believe Stevie won a little tourny call the World Barbox 9-Ball or some-such a few years ago. Not the USOpen or WPC I realize. But not too shabby either.
 
worriedbeef said:
i know for certain a couple of friends plus myself merely laughed at the "london sucks" tirade. "sucks" is an extremely american term (said by an english person it's actually quite funny) and coupled with his distinctive high pitched american accent i can say for sure pretty much that few english people were offended. the general consensus is pretty much that he's funny to watch on a tirade, he's an eccentric, and he's sort of the bad boy, maybe a john mcenroe of pool.

i just say this because i believe to often people seem overly offended at earl's antics. using terms like "disgusting behaviour" when really if you were going to say something "immature" or "silly" would be more accurate.
The spectacle that happened in the IPT with VanDenBerg's family was disgusting. I cannot say it was just silly or immature... it was assinine to the point of being offensive. I felt really bad for Nick and his family.

Yeah the London sucks thing I was immature and I did chuckle when I read it and then saw it later, but it's still out of place.
 
Icon of Sin said:
The spectacle that happened in the IPT with VanDenBerg's family was disgusting. I cannot say it was just silly or immature... it was assinine to the point of being offensive. I felt really bad for Nick and his family.

You don't have a clue about what actually happened. I was sitting dead center photographing the match when the incident happened.

Nick's family? Any idea of what family members were present?

Earl was being egged on throughout the match...taunted while he was trying to play. This fellow is on front row making faces, and comments towards Earl. And he blew up...accordingly.

Nick wasn't really doing, or saying anything to Earl. It was a male member of the VanDenBerg party providing the fireworks during the set. That's what got it started.

THEN the famous AZBilliards ex-poster...(Bernie, or Silencer) started in from the stands also.

Rick S.
 
Rick S. said:
You don't have a clue about what actually happened. I was sitting dead center photographing the match when the incident happened.

Nick's family? Any idea of what family members were present?

Earl was being egged on throughout the match...taunted while he was trying to play. This fellow is on front row making faces, and comments towards Earl. And he blew up...accordingly.

Nick wasn't really doing, or saying anything to Earl. It was a male member of the VanDenBerg party providing the fireworks during the set. That's what got it started.

THEN the famous AZBilliards ex-poster...(Bernie, or Silencer) started in from the stands also.

Rick S.
Wow, amazing how these things only happen to Earl... Maybe they happen to other players and they block it out... or maybe Earl's actions in the past were enough to have this member of the crowd make these faces.

I saw it on TV and called it how I see it, sure it could have and prolly was spun to make it look like Earl was the bad guy.

I'll even go so far as to say fine, then you are right and this one is debunked and the VanDenBerg Family deserved what Earl said. Did Nick deserve the sharking from earl before this incident occured. Like the whole "He's not calling his shots extravaganza"?

Or better yet, when Earl raised his cue to another player (Asian player I beleive) at a different event like he was going to hit him with it, I assume that person was wrong as well. How about when Earl just walked out during a Glass City open match against Archer because Archer went to get a jump cue? What about his sportsmanship in his match with Gerda in the IPT? Can you justify the London Sucks comment? Can you justify him cursing constantly in the semis and finals of the Mizerak 10-ball Championship last year calling himself a "f***ing piece of S*** while he racks? What about the time during an ESPN match against Charlie Williams he accidentally nudges a ball with his hand and Charlies calls the foul and Earl says So what, the ref didnt see it so its not a foul and continues to shoot.

The fact is, whether Nick's family has taunted him or not on this one occasion which I will take your word on, he has acted out multiple times before.

Earl is physically one of the greatest pool players on the planet. He just needs to fix his attitude so it reflects that.

Some more of the Earl's nasty side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkecRYQDnAw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVXb7-xSLfo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EmcM_AzItA
 
Icon of Sin said:
Wow, amazing how these things only happen to Earl... Maybe they happen to other players and they block it out... or maybe Earl's actions in the past were enough to have this member of the crowd make these faces.


Earl's one of the very few who can't help to react to people pushing his buttons. They know that, and purposely go to the tournaments to provoke him.


Icon of Sin said:
Did Nick deserve the sharking from earl before this incident occured. Like the whole "He's not calling his shots extravaganza"?

Rules of the IPT...were CALL shots. If my opposition was shooting a ball, and I didn't know his intended target.....Yep, I 'd want him to call his shots too. Especially for the cash. Rules are rules.

Icon of Sin said:
Or better yet, when Earl raised his cue to another player (Asian player I beleive) at a different event like he was going to hit him with it, I assume that person was wrong as well.

That was a joke..that backfired. He didn't raise his stick in anger, he was acting out his feelings about jumpsticks, period. Same reason he walked out on the Archer match...jumpstick.





Icon of Sin said:
Earl is physically one of the greatest pool players on the planet. He just needs to fix his attitude so it reflects that.


I'll agree entirely. It's just not that simple of a matter. I wish it was......Believe it or not....he's trying. It's a tough road to go down. Just trying to find a happy medium..is almost impossible at times. The meds all have some sort of side effect, none of them good for playing world class billiards. It's hard enough to play and concentrate naturally...when you feel like shit, can't think right, got the chills, and who knows what else...could you play top caliber pool? Think about it for a minute!

Rick S.
 
DawgAndy said:
What is the criteria for making the Mosconi Cup team anyway? If it's tournament earnings bye bye Earl & Rodney. If it's some arbitrary decision by sponsors then Rodney's a good choice.....

the Mosconi Cup is an independent event put on by Matchroom - the men's pro tour is granted three ranking U.S. spots - after those, the promoter has the option of choosing whichever U.S. players they want as wild cards - i think the US Open winner is a lock every year also.
 
Last edited:
Rick S. said:
Earl's one of the very few who can't help to react to people pushing his buttons. They know that, and purposely go to the tournaments to provoke him.
I doubt people go to tournaments just to push Earl's buttons. I would think Nick Vandenbergs family went to that Tourney to support Nick.

Rules of the IPT...were CALL shots. If my opposition was shooting a ball, and I didn't know his intended target.....Yep, I 'd want him to call his shots too. Especially for the cash. Rules are rules.
Wrong, There were shots in that match that were obvious and Strickland was whining about it. Trudeau even stated in the 8-ball Championship between Loree Jon and Sigel that the shot didnt have to be called if it was obvious. Also watch Strickland in other matches, he doesnt call every ball either, it was Strickland sharking, plain and simple


That was a joke..that backfired. He didn't raise his stick in anger, he was acting out his feelings about jumpsticks, period. Same reason he walked out on the Archer match...jumpstick.
So you are justifying him being right about walking out of a tournament because his oppoenent used a Jump cue? He knew the rules before he went into it. There have also been many matches where he stayed shooting while the opponent used a Jump cue. The one where he raised his cue to his opponent was not a Joke. Click the youtube link to see it. Earl was throwing his cues on the ground after his turn at the table and acting like a child.

I'm sorry, but you cannot justify this behavior. Especially when he is representing our great nation at multiple international events.





I'll agree entirely. It's just not that simple of a matter. I wish it was......Believe it or not....he's trying. It's a tough road to go down. Just trying to find a happy medium..is almost impossible at times. The meds all have some sort of side effect, none of them good for playing world class billiards. It's hard enough to play and concentrate naturally...when you feel like shit, can't think right, got the chills, and who knows what else...could you play top caliber pool? Think about it for a minute!

Rick S.[/QUOTE]
 
Icon of Sin said:
I doubt people go to tournaments just to push Earl's buttons.

Say what?

It's very obvious you have never been to a pro tournament Earl has played in...



Rick S.
 
Back
Top