Developing Expertise In Pool

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is not a thinking description, it is a doing one.
That is the point of recognizing the preshot routine as a flow, not a bunch of nominalized checkpoints, that stall the rhythm of the cyclical action.
Checking off a list is the overthinking version of the process.
I like this post👍

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
the way i am interpreting the discussion of the feet and straight cue alignment and aiming and alignment is as follows
happy to have any corrections to my interpretation
i will describe my PSR which i THINK incorporates the salient features being discussed
behind the shot i start out with my right hand on my grip spot and on my right hip
my right foot (heel/start of instep) angled slightly to the right
my left foot is shoulder width and alittle in front of my right foot and pointed parrallel to the shot line
this puts me on the shot line....my feet and cue
i struggled with the concept of you start with your feet as your feet dont know where to go without your eyes telling them
i reconcile this with my "stance" at the start of my alignment/aiming process is always the same
at this point i still need to get closer to the table
my right foot now moves straight ahead on the shot line while turning alittle more to the right
the cue is going to vertical (straight cueing position ) and i am looking thru the "2" cues along the shot line
my left foot steps forward parrallel to the shot line as i come down vertical as i bend from the waist
i used to feel if i step towards the object ball with my left foot i had better results but i am finding if i step parrallel its better
am i close to what you (lmac007) and cj feel is best ?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
If your game is getting better doing that, stick with it.
If it has stalled, regressed or plateaued…..
incorporated into my game during league play only has been a challenge.
Seeing progress beyond my previous level, leads me to disregard your pov.
Others are free to follow your so cogently put tired recommendations.
I was just razzing bbb a little, nothing wrong with thinking and analyzing everything and how it can be applied to pool. Sorry if I offended, it wasn't my intention. :)

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a separation between the aligning and aiming.
Aligning is finding the body configuration that delivers the cue straight.
Aiming is finding the ball path that achieves an intended outcome, using a straight stroke.

In my case I had already found the foot positions and hip angle, for me to align.
For a right handed player, as stated here, a consistent repeatable left foot position is a good place to start.
Aligning the cue parallel to the foot, is my spot and CJ’s.
Now find the right leg position that clears the hip for the cue and test at what hip plane angle, width of stance, using a body bend from the hips, results in a natural straight cueing alignment using a neutral grip.

Using body memory move the vertically aligned version and find the shot line while standing.
Now replicate the foot position starting with its parallel orientation, followed by mirroring the aligned right foot position.
The alignment can now fold, or drop into place, retaining alignment.
Where CJ starts by dropping to either edge or ob center, through the cb shot plane, I choose to attempt to drop, as close a possible to the anticipated shot line.
From there only miniscule adjustments will be needed, holding the straight cueing alignment intact.

The flow that goes with the process, once a feel for replicating alignment is ingrained, gets lost when static descriptions of foot locations, create static locations, losing the coordinated synchronization, of transitioning through the different stages to achieve a merged alignment on the shot line.

As to planning, I use a planned in reverse format.

Thanks for the rest of the post, good information and good clarity. About planning, at one point I thought I had to plan in reverse but I was playing a lot of chess at that time and I got to where I read the table seemingly all in one piece and didn't consciously plan out the shots from the money ball back as I think pretty much everyone has to do at some point in their development. Probably what I would have to do today, a lot of ring rust to work off if I ever get back on a table regularly!

Hu