Diamond pool table -- pro am or professional

Empty403

Registered
Hi everyone....
I'm going to buy a diamond pool table, either a pro am, or a professional.....I'm curious if a 9' pro am or a 9' professional play exactly the same. Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks everybody

I just went through this a couple months ago. I had the chance to order a used Pro-Am (only about a $600 discount) and get it right away or order a custom Professional. I think it basically comes down to whether you prefer a ball return or not. The Pro-AM only comes with a ball return and the Professional are only drop pockets. A ball return would be great for 1 pocket. No difference in ball play as the base, slate and cushions are almost exactly the same.

In terms of differences, because the Pro-AM has a ball return in it's mid-section the belly hangs lower and the legs are pushed closer to the corners. Your legs have a higher chance of contacting the belly and legs on the Pro-AM compared to the Professional.

I ordered the Professional because I preferred a drop pocket, the aesthetics and the position of the legs.

Empty403

Registered
Empty403,

What is the wait time for your Professional table?

r/DCP

I ordered mine roughly 1 month ago and the current ETA is mid to late July. This should give me enough time to mount a light and add a electrical line and switch. I ordered a Littman light and that should arrive in the next few weeks.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered mine roughly 1 month ago and the current ETA is mid to late July. This should give me enough time to mount a light and add a electrical line and switch. I ordered a Littman light and that should arrive in the next few weeks.

So, perhaps a little over two months. That's not bad.

When I was at the Diamond factory down in Jeffersonville in September of 2018 they told me three months.

Anyway, I am keeping my Gold Crown IV.

r/DCP

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ThinSlice...You forgot to add..."In my opinion", since your 'statement of fact' actually isn't! You should probably stick with "Gold Crowns play great!", and leave it at that.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

They don’t play the same. Not even close. This is not a correct statement at all.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ThinSlice...You forgot to add..."In my opinion", since your 'statement of fact' actually isn't! You should probably stick with "Gold Crowns play great!", and leave it at that.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Well Mr. Scott Lee you might want to consult with the professionals and those that run the commentary for the pros if you want to consider the facts as opinions. Watch one professional one pocket broadcast tournament and you will hear them talk about how they can manipulate banks on a Diamond table and how those deep shelf’s are holding the balls. If you don’t consider that a fact then you don’t live in reality. That’s the fact Jack!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Welcome back Thin! I hope you are good during all these tough times. Scott knows his shit! :) You are always so rowdy, I like it!!! :)

TFT

Well Mr. Scott Lee you might want to consult with the professionals and those that run the commentary for the pros if you want to consider the facts as opinions. Watch one professional one pocket broadcast tournament and you will hear them talk about how they can manipulate banks on a Diamond table and how those deep shelf’s are holding the balls. If you don’t consider that a fact then you don’t live in reality. That’s the fact Jack!

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really rowdy. I just am not a big fan of individuals making comments just to make them. I am sure Scott is a great instructor or he would have been gone a long time ago. So it’s certainly not meant as an attack on him. That’s why I will let him reference it from other sources. Thanks for the welcome back and hopefully you and I don’t bump up against each other. I really mean no harm and a lot of it is comedy if you look past what ever part triggers you. Everyone so so sensitive. I guess I can understand that with everything going on. Crazy world and I believe everyone takes it in their own way and releases it in there own way. I watched my sons to be in-laws loose their shit this weekend while we attended a little get together. People are stressed, tripping and don’t see much light. I kinda blow it all off after a few smart remarks. I really am not to scared of what’s going on. Or maybe I am but don’t know it? I am concerned however for my 3 children and what world the rest of us idiots are leaving behind for them.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just went through this a couple months ago. I had the chance to order a used Pro-Am (only about a $600 discount) and get it right away or order a custom Professional. I think it basically comes down to whether you prefer a ball return or not. The Pro-AM only comes with a ball return and the Professional are only drop pockets. A ball return would be great for 1 pocket. No difference in ball play as the base, slate and cushions are almost exactly the same.

In terms of differences, because the Pro-AM has a ball return in it's mid-section the belly hangs lower and the legs are pushed closer to the corners. Your legs have a higher chance of contacting the belly and legs on the Pro-AM compared to the Professional.

I ordered the Professional because I preferred a drop pocket, the aesthetics and the position of the legs.

My friend has a ProAm with drop pockets

ANTJR122

Registered
Actually it is the inverse- the Diamond Professional came out with K-55 profile (slow rebounding) cushions first and all Gold Crowns prior to the GC 4 used K-66 but the GC 4 switched to the K-55's. I have a Diamond Professional - purchased in 1995- one of the very early tables. When I played on a GC 4 I was pleased in that it played very similarly to my table (still not identical since mine has leather flush pockets and a flatter rail surface outside the cushions but close enough. The GC 4 played better than the GC 3 in my humble opinion. Also, I have read that some early Diamond (red label) tables bank short but mine actually banks a bit long. Perhaps Diamond changed the cushion rubber after 1995 but I am not sure about that. I do know that I had it reconditioned in 2011 and requested the same rubber as my originals as opposed to Artemis cushions and it plays the same as it did when new.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Brunswick Superspeed is the actual profile/ K-55 are all other cushions that are designed after them. Here is the order of the cushions Diamond has used:
Brunswick Superspeed #1
Championship Fleetwood K-55 #2
Black Diamond K-55 #3
Artemis K-55 # 4

TFT

Actually it is the inverse- the Diamond Professional came out with K-55 profile (slow rebounding) cushions first and all Gold Crowns prior to the GC 4 used K-66 but the GC 4 switched to the K-55's. I have a Diamond Professional - purchased in 1995- one of the very early tables. When I played on a GC 4 I was pleased in that it played very similarly to my table (still not identical since mine has leather flush pockets and a flatter rail surface outside the cushions but close enough. The GC 4 played better than the GC 3 in my humble opinion. Also, I have read that some early Diamond (red label) tables bank short but mine actually banks a bit long. Perhaps Diamond changed the cushion rubber after 1995 but I am not sure about that. I do know that I had it reconditioned in 2011 and requested the same rubber as my originals as opposed to Artemis cushions and it plays the same as it did when new.

Attachments

• trent diamond card.jpg
    trent diamond card.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 102