Did I make a bad call as Tournament Director?

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh, so the 4 ball should have been called into whatever pocket it was made. If called at all it's probably just a couple of cue points. This ball in this pocket kind of thing.

I can't speak for anyone else's methods, but I'm pretty deliberate when calling the 8 ball. Even if it's positioned in such a fashion that it couldn't be made anywhere else.
"Call shot" is for anything less than obvious, "obvious" being a straight in shot with no bank/kick/carom etc. component. The only time I'll call a straight in shot is if it's a difficult cut, but I don't think it's strictly necessary.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
"Call shot" is for anything less than obvious, "obvious" being a straight in shot with no bank/kick/carom etc. component. The only time I'll call a straight in shot is if it's a difficult cut, but I don't think it's strictly necessary.
Ya unfortunately that's when the grey area of responsibility vs accountability comes into play. I generally follow the same logic you do as well, until it comes to the 8 ball. You never know how ridiculous someone will be about enforcing the written rule.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UPDATE: I may have made a terrible call.

I am good friends with a person Vic explained the situation to after he left, and this friend has clarified the situation, as Vic sees it.

Vic's CLARIFIED version: Bob runs the table to the ball before the 8, the 4. While potting the 4, bob crashes into the 8 with the cueball, causing the cueball to go in. The cueball colliding with the 8 ALSO CAUSES THE 8 TO GO IN. Vic then sweeps the table as the game is clearly over.

Well... dammit. That makes a lot more sense now. In my defense, Vic continued to describe the results of the shot as "Bob scratched on the 8", Which in my mind meant, "Cueball went in while intentionally potting the 8." The confusingly colored 4-ball certainly didn't help my understanding of the situation. I do now understand why he got mad and was calling us cheaters.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is also a reason as to why Vic immediately went to gather balls, and pull all the balls out of the return, when the race to 2 should be over:

We have a promo that when you get knocked out you get ONE chance at a break and run prize. ERO the table, and the venue will give you a $25 bar tab. Vic was helping to set up the table for Bob to try for his break and run shot.

This is why the 8 was back on the table. Totally bizarre set of three's company misunderstandings all around.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
The changing story reeks and should inform you of all you want to know. Are you telling us that you in fact misunderstood the initial explanation? If so, are you really TD material?

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you telling us that you in fact misunderstood the initial explanation? If so, are you really TD material?
lol. Both parties described it as a scratch. Bob: I scratched on the 4. Vic: No, he scratched on the 8! No, he made the 8!

That's about as detailed as the description was at the time.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Yes. Low stakes and very not worth getting worked up about. My main concern is my reputation which is, to me, priceless..

My next ruling would be calling out the whiney beech drama queen who cried on social media. It doesn't matter if I was right or wrong in my ruling that crap needs to be straightened out, Mano A Mano.
Call him a whiney balless drama queen little beech in front of everyone at the next tourney or at first opportunity and let the chips fall where they may.

Whatever happened the Queen still went on social media like a school girl. Now it's possible the Queen is reading your thread and thinking the same about you. Two Queens don't make a right.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
lol. Both parties described it as a scratch. Bob: I scratched on the 4. Vic: No, he scratched on the 8! No, he made the 8!

That's about as detailed as the description was at the time.
There's the problem, and still Vic's fault.

Bob was never shooting the 8 ball so how could he have "scratched on it"...? A very poor description at best by Vic, and it cost him. No fault of yours

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, but I now understand why Vic was so enraged by it. I'd be pissed too, it totally looks like favoritism, assuming the TD understands my version of events.

I've made a public apology to Vic in the FB thread where he cut me up and offered to pay his next entry. I've also linked this thread there to help explain what happened to the interested parties from there.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am good friends with a person Vic explained the situation to after he left, and this friend has clarified the situation, as Vic sees it.

Vic's CLARIFIED version: Bob runs the table to the ball before the 8, the 4. While potting the 4, bob crashes into the 8 with the cueball, causing the cueball to go in. The cueball colliding with the 8 ALSO CAUSES THE 8 TO GO IN. Vic then sweeps the table as the game is clearly over.

Well... dammit. That makes a lot more sense now. In my defense, Vic continued to describe the results of the shot as "Bob scratched on the 8", Which in my mind meant, "Cueball went in while intentionally potting the 8." The confusingly colored 4-ball certainly didn't help my understanding of the situation. I do now understand why he got mad and was calling us cheaters.
Nothing wrong with the decision you made with the info you had. The players needed to explain what happened better. Not sure why Bob would not realize the game was over if the made the 8 ball out of turn.

dquarasr

Registered
Wait. So Bob never noticed that in addition to the 4 and the CB going down, the 8 also did? I dunno, I have a hard time believing that. Wouldn’t he have looked to see if the CB was even close to his target area to make the 8 if it hadn’t gone down, and wouldn’t he have seen that the 8 is missing?

When I am on the last ball before the 8 I am always aware of where the 8 is so 1) I set up for it and 2) I don’t knock it in prematurely.

Don’t beat yourself up. You made the call with the information you were given.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m just trying to figure out where the controversy is.

They were playing eight ball, and somebody made the eight early, out of order.

Who in the entire world would not consider that to be loss of game? Nothing else, including the scratch, is relevant.

Regardless though, live and learn, and everyone moves on.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were playing eight ball, and somebody made the eight early, out of order.

Who in the entire world would not consider that to be loss of game?

Bob never at any point realized he made the 8. He thought, as I did, that vic mistook the 4 for the 8. Vic brought the balls up before anyone but him knew the 8 had gone down, or at least that is what he claimed to my friend. It's the only explanation that makes all the pieces fit.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that’s poor form also. Usually the player about to rake the balls would check with the other player. This whole thing reminds me of when bangers break the balls .5 seconds after the racker lifts the rack and he gets hit with a flying cb.

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member

So, Bob shot at the 4 and accidentally made the 8 in the process. And, this person is claiming they didn't lose and their supposed to have integrity?

Should have lost the game and perhaps a earned a ban from the next weekly tournament or two for arguing about it.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And, this person is claiming they didn't lose and their supposed to have integrity?
Naw. No chance Bob realized the 8 went in. Like, zero. I'd literally stake my life on it. The sequence of events as I now understand it is: Bob makes the 4 on a sharp cut, breaks into cluster containing 8 and cueball scratches off of breakout, balls move around as bob turns, 8 goes in unbeknownst to bob. Vic pulls up balls before bob is made aware, both bob and I misunderstand Vic's description of events.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a confusing situation like this, If there any spectators who witnessed the debacle I would question them.
At the end of the day you made the call, right or wrong, that’s the call.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Well that’s a totally different situation! Bob didn’t notice if the 8-ball dropped???

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Naw. No chance Bob realized the 8 went in. Like, zero. I'd literally stake my life on it. The sequence of events as I now understand it is: Bob makes the 4 on a sharp cut, breaks into cluster containing 8 and cueball scratches off of breakout, balls move around as bob turns, 8 goes in unbeknownst to bob. Vic pulls up balls before bob is made aware, both bob and I misunderstand Vic's description of events.
It's hard to understand, but us mere mortals can miss things. I've seen someone hit the wrong ball in 9B and continue to clear a few balls before either player noticed.

Competition, adrenaline, memory mixed with drinks can sometimes make a guy miss seeing stuff.

Hell, in Bob's defense, if I'd missed a shot that close to be getting out, I'd look away from the table before the balls stopped moving too. I don't want to remember a miss. It's not a good policy to do so, but I get how it can happen.

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
I intentionally left this out so as to not flavor the responses in this thread. Everyone should have figured out it was Vic. After I bent over backwards to give him the benefit of the doubt and replay the game. Of course it had to be the 4 ball. Nothing else makes sense. Bob was so pissed at being called a cheater, he ran 2 and out, and sent Vic home.

So, Vic was up 1-0. Bob then makes the 8 out of turn and Vic should have won 2-0.

Instead he looses 2-1 to Bob the cheater. And, I say cheater because you said it was played on 8' valley bar box. No way I can believe Bob didn't see the 8 go in and/or also not see Vic pick up the 8 from the side of the table. Otherwise, Bob's just not paying attention at all and certainly didn't deserve to win the match.

Edit: Also, Bob claims he didn't see what went on. So, he should have listened to Vic's version instead of arguing about what happened.

Last edited: