Different cues for different tables?

tpoppa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in a league that has some very nice Diamond/Simonis tables, and some beat up Valley's with awful felt and mud balls.

My normal payer is a 19oz OB-308 with a Kamui black tip. That stick plays wonderfully on the Diamonds, but doesn't create much cue ball action (draw specifically) on the Valley's.

Just for the heck of it, I shot a few nights with an old 21oz Cuetec with a LePro tip. Guess what, it creates tons of controllable cueball action on the Valleys. I thought it was a fluke at first, but I am seeing a trend.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
not surprising

I play in a league that has some very nice Diamond/Simonis tables, and some beat up Valley's with awful felt and mud balls.

My normal payer is a 19oz OB-308 with a Kamui black tip. That stick plays wonderfully on the Diamonds, but doesn't create much cue ball action (draw specifically) on the Valley's.

Just for the heck of it, I shot a few nights with an old 21oz Cuetec with a LePro tip. Guess what, it creates tons of controllable cueball action on the Valleys. I thought it was a fluke at first, but I am seeing a trend.

It takes a little more effort to move the Valley cue ball around and that extra two ounces is more than it sounds like. That is roughly a third the weight of the cue ball. The extra weight does more of the work for you. It doesn't seem like a big deal but try to find a seventeen ounce cue on the wall next time you are at the hall and try the differences two ounces lighter than usual makes too. It's surprising how much difference in the feel of the hit there is moving up and down two ounces.

I played with cue weights long ago and found that the often favored 19 ounce cues played easiest on most tables. Find an old ten footer with cloth deep enough they manicure it with a reel mower and you will be looking for a 22 ounce cue, maybe heavier! A small glass fast table I like the lightest cue I can find. Not the most comfortable to play with but the easiest to finesse shots with.

Hu

BeachBum2012

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do something similar for my league play. The majority of my matches are on a diamond table with simonis cloth and I use a z2 shaft with a 12 millimeter tip. On the valley tables I switch to a 314 shaft with a 13 mm. The 314 shaft is also about a half ounce heavier. I feel like I have a little more control with the wider tip when having to hit harder on the slower table.

Igetthecash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

well the answer is simple . Its not the stick or the tip, it is the cue ball, and cloth. certain shots you will need hit more firm and put more enslish going from diamond to valley.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with different sticks, but for completely different reasons. My home table has tan colored cloth and all the pool halls I play at have green cloth. I use tan colored chalk at home and all my local pool halls use blue chalk. Therefore, I have a separate sets of cues for home use and playing at local pool halls.

tpoppa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It takes a little more effort to move the Valley cue ball around and that extra two ounces is more than it sounds like. That is roughly a third the weight of the cue ball. The extra weight does more of the work for you. It doesn't seem like a big deal but try to find a seventeen ounce cue on the wall next time you are at the hall and try the differences two ounces lighter than usual makes too. It's surprising how much difference in the feel of the hit there is moving up and down two ounces.

I played with cue weights long ago and found that the often favored 19 ounce cues played easiest on most tables. Find an old ten footer with cloth deep enough they manicure it with a reel mower and you will be looking for a 22 ounce cue, maybe heavier! A small glass fast table I like the lightest cue I can find. Not the most comfortable to play with but the easiest to finesse shots with.

Hu

Very interesting.

I am finding that I can use the virtually the same stroke with the 21oz on the slower Valley, as I use with the 19 oz OB on the Diamonds. I was forced to shoot harder than I like with the 19oz on the Valley and it was costing me some control.

Just when I thought I was done experimenting with different cues...

Last edited:

tpoppa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well the answer is simple . Its not the stick or the tip, it is the cue ball, and cloth. certain shots you will need hit more firm and put more enslish going from diamond to valley.

I agree it's the cue ball and the cloth.

I am leaning toward using a different stick rather than a different (firmer) stroke.